The Great M&K Comeback (Part 2)

Russell, does it matter which way the SS150 are for dipole use? Mine are almost new but the previous version and they don't have the handing arrows on them. No signs that they once existed either so not sure if someone forgot to put them on or someone removed them carefully enough not to leave any trace.

I'll try the 9v battery trick although I might try swapping them around to check if I can hear difference.
Also important is if you have them side or rear mounted, if rear they should be firing into corners

Russell, does it matter which way the SS150 are for dipole use? Mine are almost new but the previous version and they don't have the handing arrows on them. No signs that they once existed either so not sure if someone forgot to put them on or someone removed them carefully enough not to leave any trace.

I'll try the 9v battery trick although I might try swapping them around to check if I can hear difference.
Yes it does - the point of the battery trick is to find out which side mounted driver operates in sync with the main driver on the front. The one that does is the one you want pointing forward. The other, which operates out of phase (sucks in when the main driver pushes out, etc) is the rearward facing driver.

Russell

Also important is if you have them side or rear mounted, if rear they should be firing into corners
Correct, the in-phase driver should point outward if mounted behind/overhead on the rear wall.

.... unless you have side and rear dipoles in which case the in phase drivers on the side surrounds should point toward the front as per usual and the rear tripoles should be mounted with the in phase drivers pointing in (arrows toward each other).

I just wish I could afford two sets of tripoles.:(

Russell

Correct, the in-phase driver should point outward if mounted behind/overhead on the rear wall.

.... unless you have side and rear dipoles in which case the in phase drivers on the side surrounds should point toward the front as per usual and the rear tripoles should be mounted with the in phase drivers pointing in (arrows toward each other).

I just wish I could afford two sets of tripoles.:(

Russell
Was not aware of the 2 pair setup config , is there a reason why the rears should fire towards each other in this setup?

I currently have a pair of SUR95T hanging on my walls and these like my Xenons and the M4Ts I reviewed all have the 'handing' arrow on the rear in the speaker cable terminal tray.

You say you reviewed the SUR95T's? I love my three front 950's and have been stuck between getting the 950's or 95T's for surrounds, I would like to hear what you or anybody else has to say about them. Every music disc (SACDs) I listen to the more I appreciate the new 950THX speakers, that's coming from someone who has owned the 750THX speakers for almost nine years! :D

Regards,
Techlord. :thumbsup:

You say you reviewed the SUR95T's?
No, I said I currently have a pair of SUR95Ts hanging on my walls - the review will follow.

Regardless, SACD expects the surround channels to be monopoles and ideally, the same speakers as the front three. I would suggest that if multichannel SACD is what floats your boat, then buy another pair of 950s.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not aware of the 2 pair setup config , is there a reason why the rears should fire towards each other in this setup?
Yes; its a case of keeping the side firing drivers in phase with the corresponding drivers on the tri-poles that they face.

As the side surrounds have the in-phase drivers facing the front, the out of phase drivers face the rear. If you are going to use a pair of tri-poles on the rear wall, then you want the matching out of phase drivers facing out to match the side drivers of the side surrounds. This will leave the in-phase side drivers facing each other at the back.

The fact is, there is no official recommendation for using two pairs of tri-poles around the sides and back of your room, but it makes sense to keep like-phased drivers facing each other. Where an effect is sent to a single channel, the front treble/mid-bass drivers will combine with the in-phase side driver to anchor that effect to that speaker. Where an effect is shared by a side and rear effects speaker keeping the side drivers in phase with each other (if not the front drivers) will tend to aid the steering of effects between those two surround speakers.

Again, your mileage may vary, but given that MK tri-poles lean on the idea of the out of phase side drivers, it makes sense to combine their output where possible.

Russell

No, I said I currently have a pair of SUR95Ts hanging on my walls - the review will follow.

Regardless, SACD expects the surround channels to be monopoles and ideally, the same speakers as the front three. I wuld suggest that if multichannel SACD is what floats your boat, then buy another pair of 950s.

Russell

Thanks Russell as I value you opinion, my rear wall is just to confined to give me that surround effect since two of the side firing mid-tweeters will be right up against the back wall, one could simply disconnect the side firing mid-tweeters. I do believe you get more for your money with the 950's since they have higher power handling capability. Choices choices....

Regards,
Techlord.

Just a thought on the direction of the SS150's. Do the serial numbers have an L and an R at the end?
Even better than that Mathew on the back of the new MK Sound SS150s each speaker has Right and Left next to SS150 ;) That's whats on mine anyway :thumbsup:

On a side note, I've also got a pair of SS150's. My previous M&K tripoles had markings on them to show you which one is left and right relative to your display. The SS150's haven't got any markings that I can see. Is that correct?
On the new MK Sound SS150s they have Right and Left on the back next to SS150 mate :smashin:

Just got my copy of Home Cinema Choice magazine through the door. The latest copy has a review of the S150 package (s150 lcr, ss150 surrounds and an mx350 sub).

Mentions in the review that Lucasfilm use them and that they are very dynamic. Home Cinema Choice also tried a 5.2 system with two 350 subs and that was very good apparently.

Review is in June 2010 issue.:thumbsup:

Only 4 stars though? :lesson:

Only 4 stars though? :lesson:

A magazine review is simply just another persons opinion (at best). There is never any proof as to how anyone has tested a particular product. Personally, I would be far more inclined to respect the opinion of an AV Forum member that I know and trust, rather than anything published in a magazine. :D

One dropped star? They're keeping the 5 star open for Ken's new babies :D
May well be, but got to be selfish and hope Kens "babies" are never born.
Having sold my soul to afford to buy M&K I personally do not want anything to compete and sow the seed to there being something better starting this whole upgrade malarky gain.
Bad enough with the MX-5100 MX-350 debate
Apologies in advance to anyone offended.

May well be, but got to be selfish and hope Kens "babies" are never born.
Having sold my soul to afford to buy M&K I personally do not want anything to compete and sow the seed to there being something better starting this whole upgrade malarky gain.
Bad enough with the MX-5100 MX-350 debate
Apologies in advance to anyone offended.

unfortunately for you, kens babies have already been born but havnt been introduced to the cruel world as yet:D (that was an email from the man himself) you've bought mk, not m&k and the sats to have may soon be kk's!

unfortunately for you, kens babies have already been born but havnt been introduced to the cruel world as yet:D (that was an email from the man himself) you've bought mk, not m&k and the sats to have may soon be kk's!
LOL didnt take long for a response
Looks like the market will soon be swamped with second hand M&K Mk's whatever.
Take it your MX-5100 is not long for this world once Kens new Sub had been "weaned"
We Audiophiles are so fickle

There is always something better, but it obviously comes at a price. If the speakers you have are the best you could afford, then you are off to a good start. :)

LOL didnt take long for a response
Looks like the market will soon be swamped with second hand M&K Mk's whatever.
Take it your MX-5100 is not long for this world once Kens new Sub had been "weaned"
We Audiophiles are so fickle

I think my mx5100 will be staying put for now. It will be interesting to see Kens new sub, i think a lot of its heritage will lie in the older m&k subs...it will just be amatter of how much superior the new subs will be:smashin:

I think the debate is two MX350's being better than one 5100 i think.

Yes, I was just looking back through the posts again.

When I compared the MX5100SF to the MX350MkIISF in the same room and on the same system, the 5100 had a deeper and fuller bottom end and went a little louder. Not that the 350 was way off, but the 5100 justified the £1300 price difference.

I can imagine 2 of the new MK MX350's being a little closer, but I can't see how they can acheive the depth of a 5100 when they have a smaller cabinet.

Having heard two mx350's in the same room, i 'm not sure if i would want 'more' tbh:eek::)

I think the debate is two MX350's being better than one 5100 i think.
To be honest if the MX-5100 was still available we would not be having any debate.
It would be sold as the flagship Sub , just as it deserves
Don't know why it was discontinued , I would bet we all would be owners given the chance , I certainly would , 2 please

Having heard two mx350's in the same room, i 'm not sure if i would want 'more' tbh:eek::)

Agreed. Most people would probably consider one of them OTT for my room. Two of them is a whole new level of extreme, but it works for me. :D

When I heard a rumour that there might be a new MK MX5100 I did think about 2 of them for just a moment. But considering the price increases, they probably would have been around £3800 each.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom