The GREAT Flickr Comments and Faves Race.........

Glad your pic is doing well steve:thumbsup:.

I have to say though,I dont know why its silly or why having your pictures featured in many groups, cheesey medals or not,has such a stigma.

Its As if it downgrades your image or makes you a lesser photographer, seems to be the feeling of many.

To me its about exposure,The more people that see your pictures the better...right?Sometimes this exposure can lead to some pleasant and often rewarding results.

Further as human beings we all thrive on recognition,so why is it bad to get a pat on the back even if it is in the form of a glowing gold shield,at least they have taken the time to bother.

To have awesome pictures, have no exposure is non-sensical to me...mentioning no names,there are a number of people here who have superb images sitting in their streams with no attention whatsoever....a shame and a traversty if you ask me.

Self promotion no bad thing:)

Anyway I might give this a go to see just how far you can go:thumbsup:

I can see where you are coming from Alex and to a certain extent I agree with you. Personally I don't like the .gifs on my comments, i think they are tacky but that's my opinion.

Having had a look at some of these groups there are some stunning photos on there, absolutely stunning, but at other times I see pictures that are not so good being rewarded with stars, shields whatever and comments like 'awesome' etc. Maybe it because some of these shots fall in the 'previous 5' that people are required to comment and fave and that cheapens the whole process in my opinion.

I suppose it also give people a good ego boost when they get lots of hearts, stars etc and if thats what they want from Flickr then fine, it caters for them.

In my shot for instance, it's ok but certainly not worth the 150+ comments it has now. The comments are kind of 'forced' in my opinion and therefore not worth as much. I'd rather upload a good photo and have people comment on it for it's worth, not because they have to.

Dunno, maybe i'm a bit jaded on the whole thing but I hope you can see my perspective on it as well as I see yours :)

By the way, good to see people having a crack at this :smashin:

I can see where you are coming from Alex and to a certain extent I agree with you. Personally I don't like the .gifs on my comments, i think they are tacky but that's my opinion.

Having had a look at some of these groups there are some stunning photos on there, absolutely stunning, but at other times I see pictures that are not so good being rewarded with stars, shields whatever and comments like 'awesome' etc. Maybe it because some of these shots fall in the 'previous 5' that people are required to comment and fave and that cheapens the whole process in my opinion.

I suppose it also give people a good ego boost when they get lots of hearts, stars etc and if thats what they want from Flickr then fine, it caters for them.

In my shot for instance, it's ok but certainly not worth the 150+ comments it has now. The comments are kind of 'forced' in my opinion and therefore not worth as much. I'd rather upload a good photo and have people comment on it for it's worth, not because they have to.

Dunno, maybe i'm a bit jaded on the whole thing but I hope you can see my perspective on it as well as I see yours :)

I agree with you that the actual .gifs can look really crap, but I'm not against them in principle. We all need a little ego rub now and again, but I also take your point that these awards can be given out willy-nilly (is that how that's spelt?). Even the "post 1, comment 5" type rules are there for a reason, to stop people just endlessly posting, maybe getting loads of comments but not reciprocating.
It's all entirely subjective and obviously open to abuse.
One thing I would say though Steve, the +150 comments (at last count) you've received may be because you've whored the shot around a bit, but that doesn't make it less worthy of the accolade it's receiving. Unless you put it out there, any individual shot is pretty difficult to find.

@Gordon. Thanks for that. Almost need catheterising as it is with the anticipation of IRONMAN.

I have to say though,I dont know why its silly or why having your pictures featured in many groups, cheesey medals or not,has such a stigma.

Its As if it downgrades your image or makes you a lesser photographer, seems to be the feeling of many.

To me its about exposure,The more people that see your pictures the better...right?Sometimes this exposure can lead to some pleasant and often rewarding results.

Further as human beings we all thrive on recognition,so why is it bad to get a pat on the back even if it is in the form of a glowing gold shield,at least they have taken the time to bother.

To have awesome pictures, have no exposure is non-sensical to me...mentioning no names,there are a number of people here who have superb images sitting in their streams with no attention whatsoever....a shame and a traversty if you ask me.

On spot :smashin:

Well said, pimpers of the world unite :laugh:

Well mine is up, went a bit mental with the HDR treatment as promised :D

HDR Extreme Stormy River Bridge Mountain Landscape

51 views / 8 comments so far :cool:

I forgot that tag.....going to do it now...oh and if you get the chance to see Ironman, do...it's BRILLIANT!

Just back from seeing that actually, thoroughly entertaining :D

I hear what you are saying 100% but my take on it is that there is nothing personal about a ctrl+v shield of honour or whatever it is they dish out repeatedly.

Sometimes they will add a little bit of text which is great but when it's just the same thing pasted then I think it takes the whole point right out of the comment philosophy

I don't hold a stigma as such against this however if someone is lazy enough to simply paste their bit and leave nothing else that makes me question did they actually 'look' at the photo in the first place?

I'm starting to see that the best method for getting comments is to post in the award pools. Pretty reliable way of getting exposure. So far I'd just posted in groups relevant to the pic eg.Norway, BW, 35mm.:rolleyes:
So whether or not to change my tactics. Thing is, it really would feel like whoring. Even though I've been using flickr for well over a year now, I really only use it for hosting and showing friends and family. I occasionally have a look round at some stuff on there, joined a couple of groups, but haven't really been much into the community aspect of it. The interaction part of it really. I have only had awareness of the awards groups, but not really paid them any attention.
The purpose of such groups seems to be purely to hand out the awards. A bit like attention seeking. Yet I have also considered that my apprehension at pursuing that kind of recognition could also be based on personal confidence issues, that maybe I'm not comfortable with praise.
Of course I could just be thinking about this all a bit too much. Damn it, there's a mini competition to win here and sod all else worth doing.

Enjoy your evening chaps.

I'll pop this one in and see how it goes...
2464301111_5ba84e2f63.jpg

Beer time, so pimping over for today

57 views, 30 comments and strangely 3 favs!

You really need to follow this link to see naked ladies and all sorts of rude carrying ons!!!

Enjoy & don't let the wife see.

:D

I think this is a fun challenge, and a clever idea. Nice one!

I'm going to go for my own twist on the rules though, as I don't want to go through the effort of submitting to groups (and collecting ugly badges). Therefore I've uploaded a shot and plan to see how far it'll go without submitting to any groups :p

Of course I'm lucky in that I have a lot of contacts, so in a sense that's the same thing as submitting to groups, atlhough I don't hope to keep up with the number of comments and faves you have though - that's a pretty astronomical figure!

EDIT:
Hey Steve, why haven't you tagged your image with avfsillycomp? Does that mean we get to disqualify you from the running?

I think this is a fun challenge, and a clever idea. Nice one!

I'm going to go for my own twist on the rules though, as I don't want to go through the effort of submitting to groups (and collecting ugly badges). Therefore I've uploaded a shot and plan to see how far it'll go without submitting to any groups :p

Of course I'm lucky in that I have a lot of contacts, so in a sense that's the same thing as submitting to groups, atlhough I don't hope to keep up with the number of comments and faves you have though - that's a pretty astronomical figure!

EDIT:
Hey Steve, why haven't you tagged your image with avfsillycomp? Does that mean we get to disqualify you from the running?

Not one to sound all modish etc Jon but..

5/ The shot must be posted in this thread

Just a heads up :smashin:

LOL - Touché

2465354358_22b9e085fd.jpg

221 V, 28 C, 1 F is today's haul. All this pimping is hard work. I'm off to bed.

EDIT:

That was the shot that spawned the idea so it's not my entry.........probably shot myself in the foot to be honest but it's all about the fun! :laugh:

.........and, it's not about the views folks, comments and faves is where it's at!

I am obviously crap at this pimping thing....

65v, 18c, 2f

It does show what a lot of toss the comments thing is though. I've had folk commenting about how it's impossible to not take a nice picture of stonehenge. I thought it was pretty obvious from the image title and the fact that the background is IDENTICAL on each side, that it isn't stonehenge...it's a bit of stonehenge cloned to look more groovy... I wonder how many folk who comment actually LOOK at the pictures?

I am obviously crap at this pimping thing....

65v, 18c, 2f

It does show what a lot of toss the comments thing is though. I've had folk commenting about how it's impossible to not take a nice picture of stonehenge. I thought it was pretty obvious from the image title and the fact that the background is IDENTICAL on each side, that it isn't stonehenge...it's a bit of stonehenge cloned to look more groovy... I wonder how many folk who comment actually LOOK at the pictures?

I did Gordon - when I gave you 2 awards LOL.:D

Agreed filickr is full of naff shots as well as some great ones and some of the badges are tacky..but its not as if this is your pro gallery,where such things would cheapen the whole feel of your display..Further you have the freedom not to post to forced comments group.

To me its a vehicle for exposure.

The shot you mention with over 150 comments for e.g...some of those might be shallow comments(forced) but some are geniunely appreciatative...In addition your picture has been clicked nearly 500 times (great traffic) with you not knowing who of those 500 might have commercial interest in the shot

If you want genuinely constructive criticism or in depth feedback on your pictures flickr is not the place,if you want great traffic passing your works however its absolutely the place,you just have to look passed the badges...a fair trade off IMO.

Besides your can share your work in more than one place...online,Thats what a lot of people I know do.In fact some have links back to a pro gallery for purchase with flickr proving a great source of refered traffic... Free advertising.

I hear what you are saying 100% but my take on it is that there is nothing personal about a ctrl+v shield of honour or whatever it is they dish out repeatedly.

Sometimes they will add a little bit of text which is great but when it's just the same thing pasted then I think it takes the whole point right out of the comment philosophy

I don't hold a stigma as such against this however if someone is lazy enough to simply paste their bit and leave nothing else that makes me question did they actually 'look' at the photo in the first place?

Again its not necessarily about the comments or the badges....which are often pointless...its about clicks and how that reduces your odds of having that shot maybe pay you back one day..

As an example I sold 3 pictures from my silhouette set that netted me £160,Admittedly they are heavily maniuplated fabricated works which I wouldnt necassarily post here but they paid to have them in groups on flickr.

My view is...if you want to post a badge fine...if you want to make a comment, great....if you want to fav, fabulous.....but for me its none of those things....its about getting pictures seen and who knows where that may lead....purchases,gallery invitations,magazine inserts,etc etc....it happens

Anyway thanks for you take on it guys:smashin:

After the faves race is over I was thinking that we could do something more with flick such as ...

Comment on the picture above (for avforums members) - pick one of you favourites from the above persons flickr pictures and - link to that picture and comment on it. The comments could be done in this forum on on flickr.

See www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d300_users/discuss/72157604167602507/ as an example.

What do you guys (and girls) think?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom