The Gray Man (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, that's tonight's viewing sorted.

But if it's rubbish I'll be pointing my wife in your direction ;). She says I pick too many turkeys...bit like Netflix then.

Been looking forward to this, a lot of reviews haven't been that kind but I think it wil be right up my street. Will be checking it out tomorrow night.

Cheers Cas, watching this one tonight.

Interesting positive review - reviews I saw elsewhere were pretty negative.

I am beginning to think that Guardian reviewers have a clear agenda

Interesting, I was expecting Cas to tear this apart. It's on 49% on Rotten Tomatoes, but interestingly has an audience score of 90%.

It's apparently Netflix's biggest budget movie to date at 200 million. Kind of wish they'd spent it on something a little more high brow though. But I guess people like explosions.

Interesting, I was expecting Cas to tear this apart. It's on 49% on Rotten Tomatoes, but interestingly has an audience score of 90%.

It's apparently Netflix's biggest budget movie to date at 200 million. Kind of wish they'd spent it on something a little more high brow though. But I guess people like explosions.

And I was absolutely all geared up to after 6 Underground and Red Notice. I fully expected to slaughter this.

I'm 99% sure Peter Bradshaw doesn't actually like films

to be fair, I just checked again and this weeks reviewer gave it 3/5 and described it as fun and frenetic. But as @Kotatsu Neko said, there is a big disconnect between reviewer and audience score.

Thanks Cas. A better than expected review, which suits me just fine. Given the pedigree and budget, I was hoping for something more stellar and was originally one of my most anticipated for 2022. I'll take what I can get though...

Cheers Cas, this is one of the few Netflix jobbers I will go in on these days.

I always think low expectations for Netflix productions are the way to head in. Even when there's established talent involved.

For fudge sake. I cancel my subs and a half decent Netflix film comes along :rolleyes::facepalm::D

They wouldn’t need to spend £200m on high brow, unless you meant about 4 high brow films?

I’m keen for this, just for the Evans moustache 😂

It's a big ol dumb stupid fun watch but it ain't no 80s/90s throw back as there is so much CGI going on during the action scenes to become a real distraction. One does not expect or maybe even want charecter development on this type of film . At the same time you need to at least feel something for them be that the hero or villain , even just a tad . It's very lightweight because heavy use of CGI and continues that trend into the charecters.

A 6/10 for myself as it did give me a grin at times .then again I do love a fireworks.

Last edited:
Advertised as balls/ovaries out action and from that standpoint does just fine. I'm not sure criticising for too much CGI holds; as they weren't going to destroy Prague etc. or, the environment to make it 'real' and it didn't distract for me on that basis. Although there are 9 big 'splosion fights, I never got bored by them.
The funnies work but it could've had more and it is somewhat reliant on liking Gosling but, that's no bad thing as he has comic timing and is very likeable. Similarly, Chris Evans fairly breezes along and his 'tash had me flashing to 70/80s action actors and smiling.
Alfre woodard has turned into the younger sister version of Morgan Freeman here, which is no bad thing.
Good to see Callan Mulvey pop up in yet another US action role, after years of seeing him in Aussie stuff.
The lovely Ana de Armas works well here, manages well to not feel like all the other annoying 'strong women characters' of late and, actually sits nicely weighted in ability and believability.
A bit more character development, in place of some of the action, could've zip tied this to a fresher feel.

So pleased to read this review given the bad run of mediocre reviews. The assembled talent is second to none, and I am a massive fan of the books, albeit I’ve heard significant changes made.

I’ll be watching it within the hour.

Whilst enjoyable, its another Without Remorse for me.
It's certainly no Jack Reacher
Actually it is, Cruise Jack Reacher , not Ritchson

Easily the best Netflix attempt at a blockbuster, although that’s obviously damning with faint praise.
By no means perfect, largely being elevated by the top notch cast. The Russo’s stage it frantically (Micheal Bay clearly let them borrow his drone) and furiously, at times it feels like they’re almost trying to disguise the somewhat wonky CGI but for the most part it is just very entertaining.
7/10

Watched it tonight and it was enjoyable I thought. Plenty of action and fights to keep you going and if you like Audi’s then you will be happy with the amount on display. Not as good as Bourne but better than the last Bond in my opinion (Not that I am an aficionado by any means)

Utterly generic script and plot, but the great cast make the best of what there is. The action is done really well though, and it looked and sounded great. I have to admit I enjoyed it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom