1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The grass is too green when watching footie

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gnikolaidis, Aug 29, 2005.

1. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Panasonic TH-37PA50 is a fine gear, up to the moment I tried to watch some serious football the other night. Well, the grass of the field looks so intensely green (for lack of a better word for describing a highly saturated, vigilant, bright color on the screen), it makes your eyes hurt and interferes with watching the game.

I've tried to compensate by reducing the color, but that has a similar effect to all other colors and the picture was a disaster. The problem is evident only during football watching, where the area covered by green is filling the screen, otherwise in normal viewing the colors look excellent.

Now, has anybody else has experienced a similar problem? Any hints how to correct it? Thanks.

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    You could try the DVE disc to set the colours, have you got it on Normal or Cinema mode?
    Other than that, you will have to get it calibrated but you should be a ble to get a good pic from the DVE disc.

3. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying speaking to the groundsman at the club. Persuade him not to water the pitch. Eventually it will turn brown :D

4. socrates1

socrates1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I got a lot of information on other threads about settings and navagating the service menu to adjust colours. One poster said that he changed the green setting (G Drive) in the service menu and he also gave his preferred settings for everything. Other posts gave instructions on how to access and move around this menu. By following this I was able to reduce my green levels so that footie looked a lot better.
    I copy/pasted the instructions into word and I reproduce them below. I have two sets of instructions attached for the service menu, the first set worked for me.
    As always be very careful in the service menu. Only change the colour setting, at your own risk, etc. etc.

Oh yeah, a couple of points. After exiting the service menu, green level was adjusted, but all other settings were defaulted back to dynamic. What I had to do was adjust green levels first and then go into the normal menu and adjust the other settings (contrast, brightness, colour, sharpness), as per what is set out below. If you have other settings you like yourself (with the exception of green), be sure to make a note of them before adjusting green in the service menu. I also think you need to go through this procedure for each individual input. (I'm not sure about this as I'm waiting for a new DVD player before checking out the component settings). I only adjusted for Sky as I'm not using the analogue tuner.

Let us know how you get on. Perhaps you can help me with one query. In my 42PA50 setting for sharpness, there are only about six settings, i.e. six clicks to get from no sharpness to max sharpness. Is this the same on your 37PA50. All other setting have 30-40 clicks to go through.

Settings on Panny 42pa50:

Mode: Cinema (Best grey scale of the 3)

Contrast: -14 ticks from maximum (no more white after this)

Brightness: +22 (almost perfect blacks)

Colour: +38 ( with the blue filter)

Sharpness: +3 (more than this increases solarization dramatically)

Colour Balance: Cool (with "G drive" set to 200 in service menu - The greys look grey with this setting on black and white patterns in DVD-E. "Warm" and "Normal" look somehow like sepia or the likes)

Colour Management: off (greens are ridiculous with it on)

P-nr: off (too many artifacts and trails with it on)

Mpeg nr: off ("on" softens the picture)

This settings give me excellent PQ in DVD (Pioneer 575A) via good component cables, and I use interlaced mode, since deinterlacing is better on the tv)

Same settings for TV (adding 3d-comb off).
    Good analog picture, but I have some gripes with it which i might leave to another topic.

Navagating inside service menu:
    • Use GREEN to advance through the options, while RED steps backwards.
    YELLOW decreases a value, while BLUE increases a value.

When you have changed a value, press STR on the panel to store the setting, before moving onto another setting, else it will discard your new setting.
    • Press EXIT on the remote when you have completed your changes.

How to get to service menu:

Here is how it is got into.

bass to max.
    treble to min.

then press v/- 0n front panel at the same time as index on remote.

the first service menu lets you do the following:

(shows panel-type)
    test-pattern
    sub-contrast
    all drive
    r drive
    g drive
    b drive
    all cutoff
    r cutoff
    g cutoff
    b cutoff
    sub-bright
    apl mult
    spl gain
    txt adj. (these span several pages)

the second service menu you access by, after the bass/treble setting, go through all the service1 modes while being on tv channel 99. when reaching the last txt adj. setting, press hold button.

service 2:

y/c delay
    (9 pages of hexadecimal values, as jeh mentioned)
    sub-colour
    hours (that the tv's been running)

The only setting i adjusted was lowering the G drive (green) to 200 in the "cool" settings - too much green on factory sets - even worse on "normal" and "warm".

How to get into service menu version 2

Accesing Vireas Service menu - including PV500

VIREA SERVICE MENU - INCLUDING NEW MODELS

Here is how it is got into.
    turn to channel 99 on analogue
    bass to max.
    treble to min.

then press v/- 0n front panel at the slightly after index on remote.

this is service one.
    press the green button on the remote to cycle through the options untill you can go no further
    then press hold on remote.
    service two should now be showing.

press the green button and cycle through the options untill you get to the option that says hours used or some thing like that, not sure of exact wording. the value displayed is how many hours it has been on.

words of advise

do not change or alter any thing in these menus unless you are absolutly sure of what you are doing.
    You can do some serious damage to your plasma if you are not carefull.

to get out of the service menu press exit on remote. if that does not work turn the plasma off ten back on again and you should be out of it.
    I take no responsability for any problems caused by entering the service menu

If you are struggling, check you are on channel 99 on analogue, it may have gone down a channel when you pressed the v/- button.

Accessing Panasonic Viera Service Menu 1 and 2:
    • Go into Sound options and set BASS to maximum.
    • Set TREBLE to minimum.
    • Select channel 99 on analogue tuner.
    • Press the DVB/Analogue button to go to DVB tuner (FreeView digital).
    • Press the TV/AV button on remote and select the input you wish to adjust: AV3, AV4, etc.
    • Select which ASPECT ratio you wish to adjust: 4:3, 16:9 etc.
    • Simultaneously press V/- on the front of the panel and the INDEX button on the remote (next to the HOLD button).
    - The brightness of the screen will increase as it goes into Dynamic mode -

- The screen should now be displaying Service Menu 1 -
    • Using the GREEN button on the remote, scroll through the options until you get to 'JPEG Viewer'.
    • Press HOLD on the remote for a few seconds
    - The screen should now be displaying Service Menu 2 -
    • Now use GREEN to advance through the options, while RED steps backwards.
    YELLOW decreases a value, while BLUE increases a value.

When you have changed a value, press STR on the panel to store the setting, before moving onto another setting, else it will discard your new setting.
    • Press EXIT on the remote when you have completed your changes.

5. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,197
    You're on the wrong side of the field.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the field.

Come back and it will be fine.

Sorry, absolutely no help but couldn't resist.

Cheers,

Nigel

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or he could give up watching football....sorry couldnt resist either lol

7. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to give me credit for catching your attention though!

8. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing is I assume you do not have colour management on, if so turn it off it only makes colous look unnatural.

What channel were you watching the footy on.

I find my colours are excellent on a 42PA50 for most football, but I did find that som eof the european games were a bit dodgy. I put this down to the foreign broadcasters over processing and enhancing the picture. I would make sure you have this problem on all footy matches before you start making adjustments.