The grass is not greener...

cyberheater

Prominent Member
Reaction score
She who must be obeyed has finally relented and has allowed me to save up to buy another PJ.

Maybe a bit of back story is in order here.

I've had shedloads of PJ's in the past. Always selling my last one and adding cash to feed
my upgraditus until finally I decided in my infinite wisdom that I was sick of sitting in
a dark room to watch movies and constantly tweaking the settings so I thought I'd try another
route. So I sold my PJ (a TX100) and bought a massive Sagem rear screen 45 inch DLP machine.
Obviously, I had to swear under penalty of death (or worse) that i'll not regret my decision
and hanker after a PJ for at least a couple of years.

Big mistake.

Although the Sagem is a lovely machine i've now realised that I really really do miss my home
cinema setup. So, after months of careful manoevering and earning loads of browny points
(the only currency that counts in my house) she has finally said I can get another PJ if I save
up for it.

Yay :) :) :)

Let that be a lesson to you all. The grass is definitely not greener on the non PJ side.

So know i'm in super save up mode. I'll be bringing in sandwiches and selling a kidney soon.
Hopefully, have the dough saved up before Xmas. Budget will be around a grand.

I'll be reading your reviews very closely.

Deja Vu all over again :)

My story into HC began when I was 17 and on (what should have been) my second to last driving lesson - I got dropped off outside a local branch of Currys and half an hour later was a proud owner of a state of the art (this was 14 years ago) 28" 4:3 Toshiba pro logic set with video (at the time I belive in won most awards in the press of the day)

Anyway - over the years I have moved onwards and upwards (and at times sideways) My first PJ was the AE100 which I got about 6 months aftre it came out - I was blown away by it - NOTHING beat watching movies on a BIG screen.

Then towards the August of 2004 I brought into the hype and got myself a Plasma - I was impressed - for about a month. In this time my PJ was taken down to redecorate - it sadly remained down for far to long

I soon became rather annoyed with the Plasma - it never stunned me like I thought it would and aboyt 6 months later I got myself a 50" Samsung DLP

NOW THAT WAS IMPRESSIVE !!

Still is in fact - At times it produces an image that has to be seen to be belived and with an XBOX 360 connected starts to really come into its own.

Anyway ...... About a month ago it was time to redecorate and move things around - whilst doing this I found the AE100 under the bed - thick with dust and cobwebs. I cleaned it up - put up a BIG Ikea black out blind and got it Panny back up and running.

As good as the Picture on the Sammy is it again could not compete with an 8ft screen - true Home Cinema - anyway long story cut short - I was that made up that a few days later I purchased a TX200 along with Grey Wolf II screen

Heaven :)

Your right. Nothing beats the impact and wonder of a large screen in your living room.

How are you finding the blacks on the TX200 with the Gray Wolf 2 screen?

And I still believe that a plasma PJ combo cant be beat :)

Plasma for daytime and quick on/off viewing and the Pj for evening film watching. I sat my kids down yesterdy afternon whilst the wife was out and we all watched Montsers Inc together on the PJ for the first time - they didnt move once :)

So, what new Pj are you going for then Cyber ?? I bet you could stretch to an HD72i couldnt you ?? :D :smashin:

cyberheater said:
Your right. Nothing beats the impact and wonder of a large screen in your living room.

How are you finding the blacks on the TX200 with the Gray Wolf 2 screen?

To be fair - at times they are too darn black - Im certainly happy with them

Sorted the problem I had out with things being too red but now working on a way to get a brighter image - going for a higher iris setting me thinks

Im getting there though

sniffer66 said:
So, what new Pj are you going for then Cyber ?? I bet you could stretch to an HD72i couldnt you ?? :D :smashin:

Indeed mate. It's at the top of my list.

I'm also hoping that the HD70 which will be released soon is a very similar spec but a wee bit cheaper. Either one would do :thumbsup:

My first big screen experience was when I brought home a data projector from work about eight years ago. It only had composite input, was huge and sounded like a jet plane taking off. Contrast ratio of abot 100:1 and 800X600 resolution. I borrowed a 4 foot wrinkly screen and hung it from the pelmet with builders line. I connected up my VCR and watched Titanic and was completely blown away. The picture quality must have been absolutely dreadful, but I did't notice, all I saw was the movie. Sometimes I wish I could get back to that state of mind again:(

BTW, Cyberheater, if you really are serious about that kidney, I might be able to put you in touch with a buyer. What blood type are you? Any serious illnesses etc? Give me a PM and we can iron out the details.

cyberheater said:
Indeed mate. It's at the top of my list.

You'll have to change your sig again. :)

Comer said:
BTW, Cyberheater, if you really are serious about that kidney, I might be able to put you in touch with a buyer. What blood type are you? Any serious illnesses etc? Give me a PM and we can iron out the details.

Hey if your buyer is interested my mate has a spare bollock he would sell, as he has three!!:devil:

CH

Comer said:

Now your scaring me :eek:

PJTX100 said:
You'll have to change your sig again.

I'm not so sure.

I've just read an exhaustive thread on the US site and a tweaked AE900 with 81a + 81b colour correction filter calibrated to D65 chucks out an amazing 4600:1 contrast ratio with an absolute black level of 0.05 lux. That's incredible.

20 quids worth of filter and you get Sony HS51 levels of contrast and black level.

I think i've just found my new toy.

Damn it - i must stop reading these projector threads - its not very good for my bank balance !! :)

cyberheater said:
Now your scaring me :eek:

I'm not so sure.

I've just read an exhaustive thread on the US site and a tweaked AE900 with 81a + 81b colour correction filter calibrated to D65 chucks out an amazing 4600:1 contrast ratio with an absolute black level of 0.05 lux. That's incredible.

20 quids worth of filter and you get Sony HS51 levels of contrast and black level.

I think i've just found my new toy.

I'd still demo both at Ray Jowetts. I've had both Pj's, my 900 only had an nd2 filter but the quality was miles away from the HD72 as far as detail, brightness and depth. Figures are OK but its real world that counts !
I also had VB and colour uniformity issues on the 900. If you still arent seeing RBE then go try one :) Think 5120 !! LOL

sniffer66 said:
I'd still demo both at Ray Jowetts. I've had both Pj's, my 900 only had an nd2 filter but the quality was miles away from the HD72 as far as detail, brightness and depth. Figures are OK but its real world that counts !
I also had VB and colour uniformity issues on the 900. If you still arent seeing RBE then go try one :) Think 5120 !! LOL

I know mate. Once i've saved the cash up I know i'm going to have a hard time picking one out. My mate's just bought a Z4 so i'll be seeing that soon to see how good these modern LCD projectors are.

Think I'll be reviewing this thread, I sold my AE700 a couple of months back due to an impending house move ( which happened last Friday ). Now I'm in save mode for a new PJ, and will be looking to buy anywhere between Oct - Dec.

The usual suspects all need demoed, AE900, Z4, TX200, HD72i, HD70. Never been down the DLP route before but fancy a demo at least to see if the RBE catches me out.

LEt me know how you get on. CyberH... where's good in Scotland to demo DLP?

Thanks
Keith

WeeJockPooPongMcPlop said:
where's good in Scotland to demo DLP?

Thanks
Keith

I don't know mate. I've always had to buy blind based on reviews and forum opinion.

WeeJockPooPongMcPlop said:
Well that's me off back down to Ben's place then in the hills of Lancashire :rotfl:

Thanks
KH

Great. Let me know how you get on mate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom