The Grand Retro Gaming Thread!

Mezuri

Standard Member
Reaction score
From Magnavox Odyssey and the endless stream of Pong consoles to the days of the PS2, original Xbox and GameCube. Discuss the classics and pour your memories out here!

Last edited:
Go ahead :)

If you’re interested in retro gaming I’m a big fan of Digital Foundry’s DF Retro videos. The host John Linneman is really knowledgeable and his passion for all things retro is infectious. Worth a look.

If you’re interested in retro gaming I’m a big fan of Digital Foundry’s DF Retro videos. The host John Linneman is really knowledgeable and his passion for all things retro is infectious. Worth a look.
I've seen some of those videos! Ahoy makes some pretty solid content too.

An absolutely essential channel is Retroware

Their The Video Game Years series is fantastic, starting with 1977 :

The 80s episodes are also available on Amazon Prime.

An absolutely essential channel is Retroware

Their The Video Game Years series is fantastic, starting with 1977 :

The 80s episodes are also available on Amazon Prime.

Yes! I've watched some of them on Prime. Probably my favourite retrospectives of the 80s gaming scene.

Just picked up an RG350 gaming console. Very good, well built system. £60, found a seller that said it was sent from Ireland so took a week to deliver, beter then a few weeks from China.
Only used the stock system so far but will be adding PS1 and mainly Amiga now over the weekend.

Space Invaders on Atari 2600 :)
My brother and i use to play for hours think it had 112 different modes between single and two player.

Last edited:
I bought a friend's Pandora box 6s off him at Christmas for £60

Favourite game on it at present is Metal Slug and ....

My 8 and 11 yr old love it

Also had this for a while

Recently purchased a GKD350H from Droidboxuk, £65 in their year end sale, delivered next day. Great little handheld. Besides the usual consoles, I’m really enjoying replaying some older arcade games from my youth on Mame/FBA. This handheld only has one set of shoulder buttons, so some PS1 games are difficult to play, you can remap some buttons but still not great. Fortunately I didn’t buy it for PS1 games :). Great battery life too, getting around 8 hours.

Just picked up an RG350 gaming console. Very good, well built system. £60, found a seller that said it was sent from Ireland so took a week to deliver, beter then a few weeks from China.
Only used the stock system so far but will be adding PS1 and mainly Amiga now over the weekend.

How are you finding the RG350? I've just ordered one from AliExpress as all the reviews I've seen have been great. Had a couple of coupons to use so got the console with a 32gb card and 2500 games installed plus a case for 65 euros. There also seems to be some cool mods available like low profile analogue sticks and custom faceplates and buttons.

How are you finding the RG350? I've just ordered one from AliExpress as all the reviews I've seen have been great. Had a couple of coupons to use so got the console with a 32gb card and 2500 games installed plus a case for 65 euros. There also seems to be some cool mods available like low profile analogue sticks and custom faceplates and buttons.
I love it! Just added amiga to it so I'm sorted now! That and ps1!
I feel its cheap for what you get not looked into them mods yet, happy at the moment but might see if they make a difference.
My only complaint is hdmi output doesn't work, I think I would have used that!

I have a collection of Mean Machines and Mean Machines: Sega magazines, I thought they had great editors and writers, still find myself reading the reviews from time to time. thought I had some Sega Power magazines somewhere but I may have thrown them out during a clean out.

recently bought the Sega Mega-Drive mini, loving that at the moment and will try and mod it at a later date to add some more games. and a few other mini consoles inc both the Nintendo minis

Not sure but is this already retro but Risen (1) is good. it has Gothic 1 feeling.

I've just bought myself a modded Dreamcast. It's the third one I have owned since 1999.

It is region free, has the DCHDMI mod along with new a psu, new controller port fuses and a silent fan. I intend to eventually replace the GD-ROM drive with a Terraonion Mode but for the time being it's great to spin up some of my old games. The HDMI mod is really quite spectauclar as the picture looks amazing.

My previous set-up used the VGA output into a separate scaler that had HDMI out and while it looked reasonably okay, the 480p image was scaled up to 1080P in the scaler, then up to 4K on the tv so it wasn't the sharpest image and involved a lot of cables.

Essentially this mod can output a pure digital signal either at VGA resolution or 960p and 1080p using interger scaling. This gives the tv a much cleaner image to work with so when scaled up to 4K the image is much sharper, brighter and looks like a proper HD source.

It also has some extra features that allow you to customise the scaler so that you can expand the full colour range of the RGB signal. This means I can now achieve pure black on screen and when paired with my OLED tv, gives an image that has bags of contrast and depth. One of the things that I thought the Dreamcast excelled at was with lighting effects, especially with games set at night and playing Tokyo Highway Challenge again with this new setup brought back a similar feeling to the time I first played the game as it looks fantastic.

I'm now looking forward to the Christmas break so I can play some more and appreciate some of the classic games again.

Recently purchased an RG552 from DroiX UK. Really enjoying it so far, especially the larger 5.3” screen. Seems well built like most Anbernic products, screen is fantastic (with touch too on Android), battery life is OK, I’m getting around 4 hours average (depending on emulator and OS), but it does have fast charging so it’s not too bad.

Plays everything perfectly upto and including PS1 and Saturn. It does struggle with some Dreamcast and PSP games, but most play really well. N64 is not great, but did not expect it to be. The system has a dual boot option which is nice, you can use either Linux (version of Batocera I believe), or Android (but only Android 7 atm). I’ve used the Linux OS the most as that’s what I’m used to and I’m a sucker for the arcade, 8-bit and 16-bit games, just completed Metroid Fusion which was a joy to play (again). There are a few custom firmwares being developed which should further improve performance, a version of 351Elec (beta atm) and JELOS which is still early (now cancelled).

Overall, very happy with my purchase, and DroiX UK were fantastic for service.

EDIT: I’ve sold it now, got an Ayn Odin Pro on the way 😃

Last edited:
Sorry to take the thread in a different direction but looking at old classics and wanting newer alternative versions.
I loved the game mega lo mania, Is anyone aware of anything that came close, was hoping for something on the play store possibly?

Sorry to take the thread in a different direction but looking at old classics and wanting newer alternative versions.
I loved the game mega lo mania, Is anyone aware of anything that came close, was hoping for something on the play store possibly?

There is an open source remake of the game called giga lo mania, it even had an android port but you'd need to sideload it.

But modern games, not so sure, MLM was from very early years of RTS genre . Maybe the Black & White games count as god game strategy those are also now retro.

EDIT: I’ve sold it now, got an Ayn Odin Pro on the way 😃

Can I ask where you bought the Odin? I'm hoping to buy one soon but can't seem to find anywhere that stocks it?

Can I ask where you bought the Odin? I'm hoping to buy one soon but can't seem to find anywhere that stocks it?
You can’t ‘buy‘ them as such yet, you can only back the project on the Indiegogo website here:

You select a your perk, add any adds ons you want and make your payment. There is a risk with doing this as you are not guaranteed to get any item you back, however now that the project is in full swing and backers are receiving their orders I would say the risk is very small.

Since Ayn is based in HK they are just coming back to full production from their Chinese New Year holiday, and as a result they are backed up with new orders. My order number is in the 6000s, they now have orders in the 15000s, so if you order now you will be waiting probably around at least 6-8 weeks before despatch. They currently manufacture around 200 units a day.

On their Indiegogo page every Friday Ayn give out updates to let’s backers know where they are up to, have a read and it will catch you up with the state of the project. I wouldn’t read the comment section, it’s full of people saying ’wheres my order’, it’s madness on there 😆.

I will say Ayn have been really good and transparent about the project and they do (eventually) answer emails, but with the high demand it can take upto a week for a response. They have also said that once all orders (preorders and in demand) have been dealt with, they would be opening up a store for retail units, but this could be months away and you will be paying around £40 more. If you fancy buying one (I think they look great), then you should be prepared for a wait to get one.

Ive been researching/following this project for weeks, so if you need any more info then ask away, happy to help 👍

Last edited:
You can’t ‘buy‘ them as such yet, you can only back the project on the Indiegogo website here:

You select a your perk, add any adds ons you want and make your payment. There is a risk with doing this as you are not guaranteed to get any item you back, however now that the project is in full swing and backers are receiving their orders I would say the risk is very small.

Since Ayn is based in HK they are just coming back to full production from their Chinese New Year holiday, and as a result they are backed up with new orders. My order number is in the 6000s, they now have orders in the 15000s, so if you order now you will be waiting probably around at least 6-8 weeks before despatch. They currently manufacture around 200 units a day.

On their Indiegogo page every Friday Ayn give out updates to let’s backers know where they are up to, have a read and it will catch you up with the state of the project. I wouldn’t read the comment section, it’s full of people saying ’wheres my order’, it’s madness on there 😆.

I will say Ayn have been really good and transparent about the project and they do (eventually) answer emails, but with the high demand it can take upto a week for a response. They have also said that once all orders (preorders and in demand) have been dealt with, they would be opening up a store for retail units, but this could be months away and you will be paying around £40 more. If you fancy buying one (I think they look great), then you should be prepared for a wait to get one.

Ive been researching/following this project for weeks, so if you need any more info then ask away, happy to help 👍

Thanks for all of the info. Much appreciated. I've been checking out the Indiegogo page for the last couple of months, seems the retail release is a fair way off yet so I may take the (small) chance and back the project or wait for the final retail version. The Odin looks amazing though!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom