The Gran Turismo 5 News/Media Thread *Part 3*

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discussion continued from here!

(Clickable thumbnail)

I realise there is the video unboxing from Game but I am better looking than that bloke and I thought I could play around with the macro limits under tungsten whilst it installs. If anyone specifically wants to see a particular page I will try to oblige, I am only sitting here for the remainder of this lifetime waiting for the installation to finish...

Last edited:
I realise there is the video unboxing from Game but I am better looking than that bloke and I thought I could play around with the macro limits under tungsten whilst it installs. If anyone specifically wants to see a particular page I will try to oblige, I am only sitting here for the remainder of this lifetime waiting for the installation to finish...

Steven...have you managed to figure out how to enter the competition yet? :)

No, because my BT Infinity line is not installed until Dec 1st :laugh: Forget the comp, I have zero access to the extra stealth and chrome cars :p People on the official playstation forum are citing the codes not working after inputting them. It also appears the online element of GT5 is causing menu slowdowns. Until it is reported as clear, and doubly clear, personally I would avoid anything online related for a few days if needs be :) Last thing I want after a 3 week delay and 8 hour installation is to have to call up Sony complaining about a non-working code because the website did not accept it first time round

Thanks

Nice GT5 ad at half time in the Spurs Champions League game tonight! :smashin:

anyone had issues with joining the servers? I cannot connect so presumably they are overloading..

Ref the jaggies very noticeable while waiting to race but invisible when racing, presume a patch will resolve, scary if they missed that!

Can't get golds in licence A or top five in top gear minibus race!

PS: total install file just under 7gb?

Well would you believe it? I've been waiting nearly five years for this game and the day it's delivered my body decides now would be a good day to get the flu. So I've been in bed all day and have only just managed to get round to installing the damn thing. I'll only have a quick go tonight but think I'll probably get an early one and hopefully be ok for tomorrow. Typical. :(

Had around 20mins play in the arcade mode..yes the shadows are a bit jaggy and the cpu cars are following the racing line to almost a tee, but as well as the graphics and handling-this gets a big thumbs up to the audio:) ive set it to 7.1 output and the bass on some of the bumps (f40 bumper hanging on by a thread:D) is just sublime, the engine sounds just so realistic..one more go before mr sandman comes to get me ;)

At the launch event the other night, Kaz has apparently said that this is just the beginning and the team would be doing updates "weekly and monthly" to evolve the game.

Planned DLC includes online leaderboards and better matchmaking for a start!

News regarding the server issues:

Notice Regarding the Status of the Online Service - News - gran-turismo.com

Currently the online services of Gran Turismo 5 (GT5) is experiencing some extreme online traffic congestion.

Because GT5 performs online access not only when participating in online races and using community features, but also when starting the game and during the various screen displays in GT Mode, unfortunately this online congestion is also affecting standard gameplay.

If you are experiencing the following symptoms, we recommend that you temporarily play GT5 without connecting the PlayStation 3 (PS3) to the network.

(A) If you are finding it takes several minutes before being able to perform any actions in the following screens:

- Before the start of the opening movie, immediately after launching the game
- At the top screen after the game has started
- In various screens within GT Mode

(B) Or, when it takes several minutes or more to gain a result when the following operations are performed:

- When entering the open lobby, if it takes several minutes or more before the room list is acquired and displayed.
- When clicking on an ID in the participant list of a room, if it takes several minutes or more before the menu appears.
- When writing on the message boards within "Community", if it is taking several minutes or more for your posts to appear.

* Also, some of the following features have been limited intentionally as a measure to temporarily alleviate some of the network traffic. Due to these limitations, you will find that:
- The viewing and update of the [Log] in the Community section of GT Mode has been temporarily disabled.
- Changes to the Profile may not update in some cases.
- Changes to the Friend List may not update in some cases.

Currently we are simultaneously working on several different solutions to improve the network status and alleviate the network congestion as soon as possible. We are expecting to be able to provide a proper online service again soon.

We sincerely apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.

Reference Information
Temporary measures you can take for playing Offline

The following are procedures for preventing the PS3 from accessing the network when playing GT5.
Please note the steps introduced here are only temporary procedures you can take until the network conditions are improved.

(1) If GT5 is currently running, please quit the game.

(2) Go to [Settings] -> [Network Connections] -> [Internet Connection] and switch the selection to [Disabled]

(3) Start GT5.

Caan someone please confirm that trophies will still be awarded if playing offline? Do they get added retrospectively?

To be fair, it was fine for the last couple of hours of my session last night.

Just to say this: yes it's annoying to have a slight delay and yes they need to sort the online stuff out.

However, it's still a great game and it's still GT. I've missed it and it's like having an old friend back :)

Because GT5 performs online access not only when participating in online races and using community features, but also when starting the game and during the various screen displays in GT Mode, unfortunately this online congestion is also affecting standard gameplay.
I think most people had figured this out, but it begs the question as to why it does this?

I think most people had figured this out, but it begs the question as to why it does this?

Agreed, there's simply no need imo. Does it stream the pictures on the menu screen?

No, because I see the pictures slowly materialising (see post #6). Given the official advice is also to switch off wi-fi my best guess would be some kind of statistical data mining going on

A stab in the dark.

A future update is adding online leaderboards - perhaps those leaderboards are already active but unaccessible at this time until PD are satisifed the system can cope with it (background data-mining at a later date to retrieve stats?) and there's no funny business going on with people attempting to manipulate them. Forza 3 had problems with cars being modified in a certain way which altered their performance index - you ended up with some very powerful cars being ranked as the lowest in the game.

I think the majority of the server traffic is the community logging, the tracking of achievements, race wins, who's online in the community portal etc. As Sony have temporarily turned off the logging aspect, I suspect this was the biggest culprit for long loads whilst trying to communicating with the server.

Anyhow, I tried the 'disable the internet connection' trick and it make a world of difference navigating through the menus. Highly recommended if you just want to play the offline.

500,000 users worldwide...

They obviously thought we gave up waiting :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom