The GoT Series 8 SPOILER thread - enter at your own peril...

I think i am going to be quite reluctant to watch the prequel but i will try it i suppose

Is that still being worked on? Thought it got canned.

This is still a huge disappointment. I have no desire to go back to it. Seasons 7 and 8 were just such a massive let down. And I have no hope for the books ever being finished either.

I don't think he's ever going to finish the books. I read the first one and then stopped a little way through the second, thinking I'd best wait till they're all done before I commit to anymore.

Therefore it's entirely possible the books could go the same way.

Is that still being worked on? Thought it got canned.

This is still a huge disappointment. I have no desire to go back to it. Seasons 7 and 8 were just such a massive let down. And I have no hope for the books ever being finished either.
Thay canned the first prequel but started on a new one. I am 99 per cent sure though that he will not finish the books. They are so big and time consuming and the TV show hijacked it all so i think he will keep promising but .........

Surely he's NOW got the time to do it :D

I recently binge watched GoT (never seen it before) and loved all eight seasons of it (quality TV) but thought the final 2 episodes, which are the ultimate conclusion to the lot, were ultimately shit.
It reminded me of the last episode of Lost.

Our only hope now is that the books get finished and in 10 or so years we get a near faithful reboot.
But up until the last season the show was perfect. In fact, I thought the showdown with the White Walkers was great. I just didn't like how quickly they wrapped everything up in the last two episodes and Dany's turn to the "Dark side" was uncharacteristic . Yes we had seen glimpses of it but her turn to a sith lord was way to quick, especially when you consider how slowly her character had changed over the seasons

I don't think the books will get finished either. To be honest, I'm a bit over GoT now. In a year or two, I will binge the lot again. I didn't hate the last two series, but they certainly went downhill, and that was solely down to the timing. Its a real shame they didn't end on a high. They had many more hours of material, but chose to shrink it down. Oh well.

I thought much of season 7 sucked as well. Especially the s****y 'Beyond the Wall'. Seasons 1-4 were perfect. Seasons 5-6 were mostly good, and the last two episodes of season 6 were amazing. It was all downhill after that despite some good moments here and there.

While I've no real desire to rewatch most of it, I do fondly remember the early seasons, especially the quiet, non-bombastic scenes (like Tywin and Arya in Harrenhal).

The last great episode was Hardhome for me. I could easily bung this on right now and enjoy the heck out of it :).

But yes, season 7 was definitely where the quality dropped off a cliff. Apart from the idiotic stuff north of the wall, wasn't this where Euron's fleet had radar, cloaking technology and teleportation?

The drop in quality of latter seasons prior to season 8 could be forgiven under the assumption that they had to move the story along. Doing that also meant an epic season 8 was needed to make up for it.

Instead what we got was the worst season of the lot.

While I've no real desire to rewatch most of it, I do fondly remember the early seasons, especially the quiet, non-bombastic scenes (like Tywin and Arya in Harrenhal).

The last great episode was Hardhome for me. I could easily bung this on right now and enjoy the heck out of it :).

But yes, season 7 was definitely where the quality dropped off a cliff. Apart from the idiotic stuff north of the wall, wasn't this where Euron's fleet had radar, cloaking technology and teleportation?

Hardhome is where they teased so much more. Obviously had a very different idea of where the story was going when they did this episode.

Last memorable episode for me was Battle of the Bastards.

@richp007 I really wanted to enjoy BotB as I knew it was the same director as Hardhome and was also the infamous Episode Nine where something special happens. I'm sure I've posted on it in some ancient thread but while I thought it was excellent from a technical perspective (and that camera-work), it was ultimately frustrating for me.

Jon Snow's grasp of military tactics is beyond woeful :). And everyone is all "Hail the King In The North!" at the end, sheesh. It was the very definition of a Pyrrhic victory, only saved with Gandalf and Eomer Littlefinger riding in to save the day. And Rickon, zig zag for crying out loud!

We never got to see the long night as described to Bran by the old grandma:

"Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the Long Night, when the sun hides for years and children are born and live and die all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little lord, when the White Walkers move through the woods. Thousands of years ago, there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts. And women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept and felt the tears freeze on their cheeks. So is this the sort of story that you like? In that darkness, the White Walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds … "

Instead we got... *sighs*

^ How cool would that have been to see.

Except you wouldn't have seen it. Would have been 2 seasons of darkness if the last one is anything to go by

Except you wouldn't have seen it. Would have been 2 seasons of darkness if the last one is anything to go by
Anybody seen the bluray version of the big battle in season 8. I could not make much out on sky. Is it any better ?

Maybe off topic but I have been watching the last kingdom, which i think so far surpasses game of thrones, great acting and storyline with realistic battle scenes with a logical sequence of events. Game of thrones had more epic stuff but this one is more down to earth and really grips you. Worth a look for sure though i guess many forum folk will already be familiar with it

There is "4k" release of season 8 available, but I have no urge to spend any money on that just yet. The Long Night episode probably looked 10 times better.

Maybe off topic but I have been watching the last kingdom, which i think so far surpasses game of thrones, great acting and storyline with realistic battle scenes with a logical sequence of events. Game of thrones had more epic stuff but this one is more down to earth and really grips you. Worth a look for sure though i guess many forum folk will already be familiar with it
Spot on with the Last Kingdom. Great show.

The Last Kingdom is alright but it's never been anywhere near peak GoT's league. Missing the brilliant direction, epic cinematography covering areas in stark contrast to one another, battle scenes with the same intensity and scale as GoT, characters as riveting and entertaining, and lots more besides.

Sure GoT faltered at the finish line but for 4 or 5 years it was the king of television. The Last Kingdom will never be held in anywhere close to that regard - and not just because it isn't as popular; it isn't as good either.

Apologies if posted already

I love The Last Kingdom and have just finished season 4 but it isn't GoT quality. I'd compare it to Vikings

The Last Kingdom is alright but it's never been anywhere near peak GoT's league. Missing the brilliant direction, epic cinematography covering areas in stark contrast to one another, battle scenes with the same intensity and scale as GoT, characters as riveting and entertaining, and lots more besides.

Sure GoT faltered at the finish line but for 4 or 5 years it was the king of television. The Last Kingdom will never be held in anywhere close to that regard - and not just because it isn't as popular; it isn't as good either.
I agree that GOT was much grander and the top show for me in the earlier years. Still even then many plot holes though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom