The GoT Series 8 SPOILER thread - enter at your own peril...

Discussion in 'Game of Thrones Forum' started by KyleS1, May 13, 2019.

1. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    I'm looking forward to wee Arya killing lanky Greyworm and putting on his face which, taking a leaf from the Mission Impossible how-to guide of disguises, will completely alter her height and weight and allow her to get up close and personal with Dany so she can take her right out of the game.
    Or if that doesn't happen then I'm starting to think Dany will pretty much kill everyone that's left that's any kind of threat to her staying on the throne. Female empowerment. Pillars and stones and rightful heirs be damned. Then after all that she'll drink some moody Dornish wine like she was meant to do in season 1 and die herself.

Wins for the good guys are mostly just a blip along the way for GOT, and Dany's now the baddie by default, she didn't die a hero and lived long enough to see herself become the villain. It would make sense, to me anyway, that any plot to replace her with someone "better" would ultimately fail.

But, I dunno. I can think of ways it could end but I'm expecting them to all turn out to be wrong when the next episode comes along. Theorists are overthinking it all, the actual events will probably lean more towards being underthinked. I'd feel a bit let down if they give us a crowd pleasing ending and don't think they will. I'm anticipating some proper rage online from a lot of people no matter what the outcome is. Maybe some genuine tears too. The reaction vids on youtube will no doubt keep me laughing like a drain for a week afterwards

2. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    I wonder if she may commit suicide or sacrifice herself in some way, as a last minute act of redemption. Like Anakin Skywalker, there is good in her. Plenty of good, as we've seen. But her single-mindedness has pushed her over the edge, to the point where she will kill an entire generation of innocents for the 'good' of generations to follow. She's doing a Thanos, basically.

I know the default speculation to any game of thrones problem is "arya will kill him/her" but I forsee something more subtle and poignant than that.

As for Drogon, I dont think he can live while Dany does; their combination is simply too dangerous for the others to allow. One or both of them must die. Maybe drogon will fly off to old Valyria. And I wonder if one of the final shots in the episode is of Dragon eggs...

3. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Damn
    You leaked the ending i was developing

Predictions for the end credit scenes Marvell stylee
    Credits
    1st extra
    Scene of Kings landing burning
    Remember, Dragons are bad for you
    Just say no.

bit more credits
    Final bonus scene.
    Desert with sand
    Wind blows and first one, then more dragon eggs are seen as the sand is blown away.
    A hand reaches into camera shot and picks up an egg
    A lock of white hair drops into view
    The wind faintly whispers I'll be back

Fade to black

GOT will return

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  5. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Lena Heady made a million dollars an episode to stand on a balcony. Unreal!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,599
    FB_IMG_1557986532311.jpg

7. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    I thought her performance in this was outstanding.

8. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,654
    upload_2019-5-16_9-24-14.png

9. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    I wouldn't sign a petition but this is overly harsh.

Why do you think it's "entitlement" to want what they believe is a fitting end to a program they have invested a lot of their time into? It's not like they're not paying (with real money) for it so ultimately they ARE entitled to what they believe to be a certain standard. Now we can all differ on our opinions on where that standard is and whether S8 lives up to that or not but I have sympathies for those who feel strongly enough to complain. You clearly don't agree but calling them "dickheads" is unfair.

I've made a few posts in this thread that I think S8 is a massive let down. I think there should have been a S8 and S9. S8 dedicated to the fight with the white walkers and S9 to the fight against Circsei, the spiral of Dany into madness and the ultimate conclusion. That's about 20h of tv. That would have given the writers plenty of time to develop and properly conclude both story arcs. Instead we've had about 8h of hastily paced TV following staid and clichéd paths which the rest of the series just didn't.

At every point of the series previously you've been blindsided throughout with stories simply not going where you expected them to and major, significant characters dying when you never expected them to. Ned Stark, the Red Wedding, the trial of Cercei and the wildfire explosion, Jeoffrei, the Battle of the Bastards etc etc. My interest has always been in who/what was going to happen next as while you thought you knew, the series just slapped you in the face every single time and said "Nope not today". But at every single point those actions were completely believable and utterly in character for those who did it (often the Lanisters). That unpredictability is what MADE GoT for me and what made me a massive fan. I didn't care much for the action, the big battles and even the dragons bored me somewhat. But scenes like the one where they slit the two slaver masters throats were just great - you were expecting them to kill the selected one but again, blindsided, they left him alive. Little bits like that are spread all the way through the series and made it utterly compelling.

You then get to Season 8 and EVERYTHING becomes obvious and boring (with the exception of Dany burning KL which introduced its own issues) and people who were built up in previous episodes over the past 7 years just turned out to be nothing and mostly invisible. Also people just acted out of character. This, in itself is perfectly fine if you have enough of a story and explanation so you understand WHY their character has changed or why they're suddenly taking other actions but you don't get ANY of that. You get no twists and turns, you get a bog standard, boring result which someone could have written having never seen the previous 7 seasons. It was TV by numbers, safe, boring, not taking any risks and as a result it's utterly ruined the end that could have been. The irony is that acting in a bog standard way is exactly what you DIDN'T come to expect from the characters. You expected them to do wild stuff but for it to be clearly calculated, in character and with clear logical (if flawed) reasoning. But for me, S8 brought none of that.

E5 especially just left both my wife and I sitting there going "That's stupid and doesn't make any sense" and it's something neither of us had ever done for any episode in any previous season. That's not to detract from the previous 7 seasons in any way but for us it certainly hugely disappoints.

G

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    I don't feel entitled to anything.

GRRM will have had significant input to this and he is responsible for how this turns out. It's his story to tell.

I disliked a lot of things that happened but still loved the story. Sure, it's a shame it might wrap up too quickly, but that's TV for you.

I'm sure there were equally bonkers people upset at how Sopranos and Breaking Bad ended, but as above, not my story to tell :)

11. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    She has always been stellar. Her walk of shame will go down in TV history (well her and her body double).

Let's cut to the chase however. Are you satisfied with her writing and involvement in this season? After setting her up as the true villain after "The Long Night" was this episode, in your opinion an apt wrap up to her story arc?

12. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    They have both panned out to be regarded as classic TV endings. I'd put Mad Men in there too along with The Wire. GoT is on the level of those kind of shows so next week has to hold some sort of memorable pay off. I know I have been a massive Debbie downer on this season but I am still rooting for them to get this ending right. Yes the stock has dropped massively for me but I do want to see this rounded off in a way the ambition of the show deserves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    It isn't.

Post-Last Jedi we've seen a horrible change in fandom (ironically, similar to Dany's turn in GoT) where legitimate criticism and disappointment has turned into hatred, militance and activism. I've seen it , and continue to see it over and over on the internet. Youtube channels that make video after video after video slagging off Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel and now Game of Thrones. They sit there with folded arms demanding this or that, and when their demands aren't met they have a collective tantrum- banding together en masse and forming a movement. It goes so far they begin to actually enjoy hating the thing they claim to love. Its utterly bizarre. The petition is simply toys-out-of-pram entitlement. none of us have a 'right' to be entertained.

Fans have turned into fanatics.

FWIW I liked what they did with this weeks episode. You didn't. That's the way it goes with entertainment. Why should those that didn't like something have a louder voice than those that did?

You know, I remember my dad reading me bedtime stories, and sometimes if I didn't like the ending I'd make a fuss until he changed it to something I wanted.

I was five.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  14. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    There is no true villain in Game of Thrones. GoT doesn't deal in 'villains'. It deals in complex characters. Good ones that sometimes have an evil streak, and wrong-uns that have redemptive qualities. Cersei has had plenty of sympathetic moments throughout the show. I didn't want to just see her die a horrible death because 'baddies deserve their comeuppance'. I wanted to see her vulnerable side and we got that.

I've seen fan reactions to Cersei's death where people are weeping and silent- yet earlier in the episode they were cheering for Dany to burn her. That's amazing. If that isn't good character writing, what is?

15. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    Absolutely I don't disagree at all!

But as to entitlement so to speak (choose your own phrase to suit!) I accept that it will be what it will be...and that if GRRM finishes his books, they'll likely be the better variant!

P.s. Madmen was excellent but the ending wasn't my cup of tea. That said, when the wife and me discussed it, I could offer no suggestions on a better alternative. It'll probably be the same for GoT.

16. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    I think the exception would be Joffrey. Universally vile!

17. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    Yeah one of many characters with no redeeming qualities- like Ramsay and Craster. My point is there isn't an over-arching 'baddie' like, say, The Emperor in Star Wars. Even the Night King isn't really a villain per se; he was a weapon, unleashed by the Children of the forest.

18. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Don went on to write the greatest ad campaign of all time...seemed a fitting end to me albeit a little abstract.

19. rojgelf

rojgelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,386
    and ramsey

20. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    You've side stepped my question. Given how important her character has been in the run of this show has the writing done her a disservice this season?

21. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    And all the pie eating perpetrators of the Red Wedding. The are fudge tons of villainous scoundrels in GoT but it does a great job of blurring the lines.

22. lucasisking

lucasisking
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20,790
    I'd have liked more of her, as she's one of my favourite characters. But I don't think she had anywhere else to go with the character. She's had an incredible arc. Being a smug member of a powerful family; losing her children one by one; Losing everything to the sparrows, then rebuilding her empire single-handedly and taking revenge on her enemies. There were no enemies left but Dany.

The boring, obvious ending fans expected was that our 'goodie' Dany would burn our 'baddie' Cercei with her dragons. This episode turned that on its head. I was completely satisfied with her conclusion. All she ever wanted was to be loved and surrounded by her family. That's how she went out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  23. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    We can both agree that one of the best things about the show is that it cares little for the hollywood tropes. I still think Jamie and Cersei in place of Arya in episode 5 would have been a stronger end to their journey.

24. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    I got the ending no problem, it just wasn't to my personal taste. But that is (in my opinion) a sign of a good TV series or film. If it's predictable or obvious, then it's less satisfying.

I could never have really called Arya and the Night King, nor Dany actually burning King's Landing (although I think we all knew she'd flip at some point).

While I am not disagreeing with you or challenging you to accept my opinion (easily done in threads - you've just taken the time to reply to me of course!), I'm just pointing out that GRRM will end as he sees it appropriate, though the show is evidently compressing events in recent seasons (a shame, but I wonder if we will get more information when it's all done and dusted?).

I genuinely can't comfortably make a guess at what will happen next. There are some obvious points - i.e. what to do with a problem like a mad queen with a dragon - but as to who will take the throne and what constitutes an ending...I just couldn't guess in the slightest.

I can guess, however, that there will be numerous upset people!

25. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    There will be a backlash either way now. I've listened to podcasts and read articles labelling ep 5 the worst in television history which is just moronic. There will of course be special interest too as D&D are off to helm a star wars movie too which is the only thing that can top GoT for extreme fandom.

Ultimately we can all see the reasons why the show has changed its approach this season. In hindsight it seems crazy to rush the ending of the most ambitious TV show of all time but thats exactly whats happened. In many ways the show has taken a backseat to the culture of pulling it apart. I think its actually been an amazing 6 weeks of exploring popular culture. I've enjoyed every minute of the post mortem and debate!

26. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    This is exactly why I have insisted that my wife reads the books, as the character chapters allow the reader to understand the real complexities of each main character and the real struggles they go through, both physically and mentally. It's fantastic.

But yeah while we all agree Joffrey was exactly what Bronn called him ;) it's good that there is no universal constant in 'baddie'. This is part of the success of the books, but has been lost a little in the TV, as the focus has been slightly angled towards Jon, Dany and Cersei.

The books flesh out (pun not intended) Arya so much more, Barristan Selmy, Catelyn Stark (what exactly DID she whisper and how does Beric Dondarrion's sacrifice change the story vs TV?), Brienne of Tarth, Sansa vs Jeyne Poole, Mance's "death", no Darkstar, Aegon Targaryen existing, pretty much ALL characters are far more appreciated (even if entirely un-liked) and the reader can relate to them due to the narrative style of the book. I could go on, but I won't for sake of slight derailment.

For people who haven't read the books but watch the TV only, my wife now agrees that the context is marginally lost and has less impact. I don't want to be one of those "ERMAGHERD! You didn't read the books? You're dead to me!" types, there is definitely benefit to having read them in my opinion.

The deviation between book and film means that I almost anticipate the books (if they finish) being a second bite of this veritable cherry for me, as there are so many different things that are on paper and not film (yet).

Hence - in a long and roundabout way - I will be satisfied with the TV ending, as I know it isn't the true and full story :)

27. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,391
    Watched a video earlier about a famous incident I'd first read about years ago and thought it shared some similarities with Dany snapping and unleashing a weapon of immense destructive power to wreak havoc and retaliate in the most destructive manner possible.

Marvin Heemeyer's Revenge - The Killdozer

28. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    This last season was always going to be divisive. I'm really enjoying it still. The only thing that has surprised me is that it's pretty much all over as far as big battles go with an episode to go.

I'm sensing a major shock somewhere (hopefully!).

Episodes 3 and 5 are stand out so far this season. Yes there are some nonsense parts that make no sense in both, but the ending with Arya taking out the night king, plus most of Season 5 with mad queen burning the whole city made for an amazing spectacle.

29. QuestShield

QuestShield
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,277
    These fanatics? They're all Jon Snow-flakes.

Bad-dum-tish!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  30. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    ^ he'll be here all week...