The Gorgon. Rare Showing Of Hammer Film Tonight.

Garrett

The Gorgon is being shown on BBC2 tonight at 11.20pm. I cant remember the last time this was show. It stars Hammers stalwarts Peter Cushing:smashin: and Christopher Lee:smashin: and also a lovely lady who made a fair few films for the studio Barbara Shelley:smashin: although from what I remember the story centres on a character played by Richard Pasco.

partyweb

Novice Member
I remember watching this when the BBC used to show those Saturday night horror double bills (early 80's ??). I guess that was the last time it's been on telly.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Yep, will be watching this. Also enjoyed watching 'the Witchfinder General' a few nights back too. Same unciut version i have on DVD, but annoyingly it looked a better print than mine. Great film.

PoochJD

Hi,

A minor correction, regarding "The Gorgon": the titular monster, if you pardon the pun, was actually played by ballet dancer Prudence Hyman (credited as "Chatelaine") under very elaborate make-up. The Gorgon's head piece was designed by Roy Ashton and the snakes that dart from her hair were controlled from behind. Sadly, Miss Hyman died in 1995. :(

Also, this film regularly turns-up on BBC1 and BBC2, usually at least once a year. ;)

Now, if only someone would release a high-quality DVD boxed-set or multi-voulme release of every single Hammer Horror movie, with tons of extas, all uncut and uncensored, and with fully restored picture and sound. :lease:

Pooch

Garrett

Hi,

Also, this film regularly turns-up on BBC1 and BBC2, usually at least once a year. ;)

Pooch
News to me Pooch, not see it for ages but if you are keeping a eye out for these thing please give us a head up when The Brides of Dracula is on as that an other I not seen in ages, although I now see its eventually turned up on DVD which I may treat myself to.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Now, if only someone would release a high-quality DVD boxed-set or multi-voulme release of every single Hammer Horror movie, with tons of extas, all uncut and uncensored, and with fully restored picture and sound. :lease:
Amen to that.

I've only got round to buying a couple of Hammer horror dvds so far, but was impressed with the image quality of The Horror of Dracula :smashin:

quarry2006

I missed Witchfinder General (to this day I haven't seen it all the way through; I must get the DVD sometime) and last night's rare showing of The Gorgon.

Hammer films used to be on all the time; I cut my eye teeth on them in the seventies. Wasn't there a DVD boxed set released recently? I gave it a cursory glance but it didn't seem to have any of "da classics" on it.

the_pauley

Banned
Garrett

Brides of Dracula has been available for about two years in this collection.

Excellent value and contains several of the studio's gems.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Garrett

I think this is going on the ever growing to buy list. Curse of The Werewolf is quite possibly my favourite werewolf film ever and I'm actually sat here wondering why the hell I don't own it already :confused:

Theres DVDBeaver's review of this boxset here ,given a very favourable review :thumbsup:

the_pauley

Banned
This really is a no brainer at the price isn't it? I have many Hammer box sets and apart from the R2 release containing (Horror of) Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy, this is my favourite.

Garrett

Garrett

Yup I did a further seach when I loged and found the set and was glad to see it contained Night Creatures which is realy a Dr Syn story but they had to call him Dr. Blyss for leagal reasons.

Only thing held me back was I was wondering what the quality was like as I know or sure the original Devils Rides Out was not as good as the re-release.

the_pauley

Banned
They're really good transfers.

Garrett

I take it there alll in the right aspect ratios

the_pauley

Banned
Yes they are. :smashin:

Garrett

the_pauley

Banned
Yes.

I initially had the problem with the freezing disc that most users were reporting at time of release, but Universal replaced it for me with a set from a later batch (a matter of weeks later) and these have been fine.

Smeggor

Novice Member
When this film was first shown, It frightened the life out of me. :blush: We had just finished learning all about the legend of the gorgon sisters at school. For months, whenever there was a full moon, I used to stare out of my bedroom window, watching. Its part of my DVD collection now. :smashin:

Chris McEneany

Guys,

Let me also state that The Hammer Horror Series is definitely a worthy purchase, featuring some truly wonderful transfers of some of Hammer's most notable and rarely seen movies.

The uncut Curse Of The Werewolf is worth the price alone in my opinion, but it is great to see Brides Of Dracula in all its glory, too. Without a doubt this is one of Hammer's most beautiful-looking and dreamlike films. But all in all this is pretty much an essential addition to any fan's collection, even if it is bereft of extras.

I was going to review this set for the site when it first came out but simply have not had the time to devote to it, tbh, as I tend to lavish a lot of attention on such titles. Although, having said that, there WILL be a review of Curse Of The Werewolf soon as part of my Full Moon Frenzy series.
Have a gander, Hammer-fans!

Cheers,

Mad Mac :devil:

Steve N

Distinguished Member
When this film was first shown, It frightened the life out of me. :blush: We had just finished learning all about the legend of the gorgon sisters at school. For months, whenever there was a full moon, I used to stare out of my bedroom window, watching. Its part of my DVD collection now. :smashin:
Just to let you know - if you don't already.
There is a great Gorgon scene in Clash of the Titans.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
There is a great Gorgon scene in Clash of the Titans.
i like the one in '7 faces of Dr Lao' too, albiet in a more comical vein.

On the subject of the Hammer films, i'd like to see a boxset, similar to the 'Monster Legacy' one, complete with busts of Lee, Cushing, and Ingrid Pitt. Vincent Price would be another good addition, but not sure any of his films were Hammer (?) (maybe 'Ham' though;))

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 21st October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG SIGNATURE OLED R TV now available in South Korea
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display teams with Disney for OLED Projects
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Campfire Audio updates Vega and Dorado earphones
  • By Andy Bassett