The Goonies (1985) 4K UHD

RedDevil85

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - WB Shop UK - Zavvi

Cine Edition: The Goonies (hmv Exclusive) - Cine Edition | 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store

Release date: 31/08/2020

TG_4K.jpg

HMV Exclusive Cine Edition:
TG_HMV_Cine_Edition_4K.png

Includes
  • The Goonies 4K UHD
  • Limited Edition Gift Box
  • One Eye’d Willy’s Treasure Map Reproduction
  • Embroidered Patch
  • Collectable Button Badges

Attachments

• TG_4K (info).jpg
    TG_4K (info).jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hey, UHD Guys...

In...a..heart beat! :clap:

I can now tick The Goonies off my most wanted 4k wanted list. :thumbsup:

Keep them coming, I don’t want the format to die. Am loving it.

Really do we need this? Ok I’ll buy it

All it needs is WCG, HDR & decent grainy scan to be an absolute stunning looking disc as at the production phase they spent a lot of money & time on physical sets, set lighting & moody cinematography!

Just be very grateful WB still seem happy to put these 1980s 4K UHD Discs out as many other studios are simply not bothering anymore & prefer to lose a fortune on digital download only catalog titles than spend a few bucks pressing the disc & packaging (although the real reason is more likely the compression codec licensing royalty fees!)

Update: US release now confirmed for 1st September, the UK release shouldn't be too far off.
A look at the Special Edition set being released over there:
TG_GS.jpg

Update: US release now confirmed for 1st September, the UK release shouldn't be too far off.
A look at the Special Edition set being released over there:
View attachment 1309040
That’s impressive.

Good signs that this format’s still giving true fans some nifty extras on cult clasic titles.

Will this be the uncut version? i.e with the octopus scene etc

Will this be the uncut version? i.e with the octopus scene etc
There is no uncut version, unless you’re talking about t.v censored versions. The octopus scene you mention was never finished or included cos it looked absolutely crap. What they had is included in the deleted scenes.

There is no uncut version, unless you’re talking about t.v censored versions. The octopus scene you mention was never finished or included cos it looked absolutely crap. What they had is included in the deleted scenes.

Yes I agree the octopus is comical lol. I have this distant memory of an octopus. At the time eagerly watching up to the TV as a kid and fondly wanting it to bring down the ship as they make their escape with the help of Sloth. Including other missing takes as I recall.

Last edited:
So I watched a YouTube review of this and there was a link to buying it on iTunes but it was US. Does that mean it’s been released in the US but not UK?

So I watched a YouTube review of this and there was a link to buying it on iTunes but it was US. Does that mean it’s been released in the US but not UK?

Scratch that, obviously that doesn’t mean the Blu ray is out yet:facepalm:

Got my order in.

Review of the iTunes version (since pulled down by Apple) by SpareChange. The takeaway was that he does not think it is a top-tier 4K transfer:

Unfortunately, it appears that they have cleaned up some of the grain in the iTunes version, how much exactly, I do not know. And SpareChange has no point of reference for recent/ HD versions. I am really looking forward to hopefully having a decent amount of grain on the disc version, we shall see. How close are the iTune versions to their disc counterparts usually? Are they ever handled by the same studio/ people as the disc version? I tend to favour grain for the preservation of detail. However, he says that it does not look as bad as the Terminator 2 UHD - I was appalled by that release (I really hope they release the first film). But he goes on to warn that "overall the image is a bit soft". I am really looking forward to a hopeful improvement in the sound, too.

Regarding the Cine Edition UHD, I am underwhelmed. The box looks nice. But at least it is something. I would have preferred something like a similar box containing a replica doubloon - something more weighty and tactile as opposed to it being mostly 2D paper based items - map and production stills and notes book. I would also pay more for something more fully blown out like artcards, promo pieces, a figurine(s) and or a vinyl/ mini vinyl with Cyndi's Goonies 'R' Good Enough. That said, I am happy and grateful that the 4K UHD and Cine edition exists and I have been counting down the days since I heard about it.

Warm wishes to all,

fallinlight

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom