The Goonies 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

"The Making of The Goonies – 7 Minute feature."

Wow, they really pulled out all the stops there. 7 whole minutes! I can't wait.

Still a great kids/family movie. I'm one of the lucky ones that got to see it in the cinema as a kid in the 80s. Time has not diminished this film, or my love for it.

Another for my UHD list.

Not sure we needed a 4K version, but I'll take it. Hopefully my HD purchase on iTunes gets a 4K upgrade.

Great film that everyone can watch even today without cringing.

Goonies was never a favourite. It just never clicked for me. I preferred Ferris Beuller, Back to the Future, List Boys.

An enjoyable film but I'll still with the Blu-ray.

I was 15, nearly 16 when this released, so also just a bit old for what was marketed as a kids movie, and I never saw it at the cinema. Don’t think I actually watched it until many years later on DVD. As an adult though, this is still a great movie, it does what a good kids film should, makes me wish I was a kid again, mucking about with friends. So while I don’t feel any nostalgia for the movie itself, it does create nostalgic feelings and it has become a bit of a favourite of mine.

Glad it’s a decent transfer, but the package sounds a bit slim, so will watch for a price drop on this one.

Great review. This is my favourite movie of all time and I’ve bought it in all possible formats. The US collectors edition Blu-ray is the only import disk I’ve ever bought. This will be a definite purchase for me.

I believe part of its appeal is that it is a kids' Movie that can entertain Adults as well. No big hurry for me, but would enjoy seeing a pristine version.

Not sure we needed a 4K version, but I'll take it. Hopefully my HD purchase on iTunes gets a 4K upgrade.
iTunes USA has it in 4K with Dolby Vision (But of course the standard Dolby 5.1 soundtrack)

I believe part of its appeal is that it is a kids' Movie that can entertain Adults as well. No big hurry for me, but would enjoy seeing a pristine version.

iTunes USA has it in 4K with Dolby Vision (But of course the standard Dolby 5.1 soundtrack)

iTunes UK has the 4K Dolby Vision release too, but Warner cheekily re-listed it recently to deny exciting owners the upgrade. I fell into their trap and double dipped so I could watch it last night. Not something I wanted to do but still far cheaper than a disc.

I thought it looked pretty good and was a huge upgrade on the old HD transfer. Some weak black levels in places and some soft looking shots here and there, but overall a nice improvement. Bizarrely the old iTunes HD version only had stereo sound, so the jump to 5.1 on this one was also a nice upgrade.

As for the movie, it's just great. I've seen it countless times since I was a kid and I never get bored of it. The chemistry between Chunk and Sloth is absolutely superb. Actually Chunk in general is just a great character. The blender scene where he's telling the Fratellis his life story is hilarious.

iTunes UK has the 4K Dolby Vision release too, but Warner cheekily re-listed it recently to deny exciting owners the upgrade
Same thing with Alien. I bought the Alien 4K disk anyway because it is in my top ten, but it would have been nice for the iTunes version to be upgraded, instead of a "separate" release in 4K.

iTunes UK has the 4K Dolby Vision release too, but Warner cheekily re-listed it recently to deny exciting owners the upgrade. I fell into their trap and double dipped so I could watch it last night. Not something I wanted to do but still far cheaper than a disc.

I thought it looked pretty good and was a huge upgrade on the old HD transfer. Some weak black levels in places and some soft looking shots here and there, but overall a nice improvement. Bizarrely the old iTunes HD version only had stereo sound, so the jump to 5.1 on this one was also a nice upgrade.

As for the movie, it's just great. I've seen it countless times since I was a kid and I never get bored of it. The chemistry between Chunk and Sloth is absolutely superb. Actually Chunk in general is just a great character. The blender scene where he's telling the Fratellis his life story is hilarious.
Well thats a bugger. I assume Apple will drop Warner from their store for "violating T&C's" lol.

Have the Blu-Ray edition and audio is presented in a so-so quality Dolby True-HD.

I hope the DTS-HD MA on this UHD release is way better than the former.

Best regards from a COVID-19 terrified Brazil.

I was lucky enough to see The Goonies at the cinema when it was released. I would have been 11 or 12 - exactly the right age. Even back then, it always struck me how natural the child actors are - They all act exactly like kids would, even down to the swearing. But what sets this apart for me is this scene. Surprisingly moving.

Have the Blu-Ray edition and audio is presented in a so-so quality Dolby True-HD.

I hope the DTS-HD MA on this UHD release is way better than the former.

Best regards from a COVID-19 terrified Brazil.

Dear @afekcandy,

I hope you are safe and well. I found the new DTS-HD MA master a big upgrade over the True HD BR track. As for the image, I think that overall it is a great upgrade from the BR but is flawed. For example the off pinkish and orangey, waxy flesh tones in the first half/ early parts of the film jarred me. I found the BR flesh tones to be far better and look correct throughout the film. But lots of lovely HDR highlights and touches that bring fabrics and textures and certain colours to life, such as Chunk's red jacket, specular highlights on the coins in the wishing well, or the detail on the Fratelli's torches. One stand out scene for me was when the cave begins to crumble at the end and the bright light spills into the cave, the HDR lends such a rich image and colours here compared to the BR, Dark scenes are also better lit and clearer, deeper black levels and it is a more neutral presentation colour-wise - though some colours look off to me, such as Rosalita's head scarf.

Take care,

fallinlight

Last edited:
For those not aware, there are faulty discs in circulation. I made the below thread about it,

The blender scene where he's telling the Fratellis his life story is hilarious.

I remember watching it on TV when I was younger and my tape VHS copy, they would always cut out that scene, or parts of it, as well as other moments and some swearing. It wasn't until the DVD release I think I saw the cut bits. I forget if the Blu-ray added more. Finding out from the cast commentary on the Blu-ray about the whole thing about them having/ wanting to use adult hands for close ups, ruined those parts of the film forever for me! Does anyone know why they did that? I forget if any of the case said why. I never noticed it for all my time watching it, until the cast talked about it.

I just remember it for a bunch of American kids running around and shouting a lot for 90 mins or so, didn't click for me but cool it's out there now for the fans.

I just remember it for a bunch of American kids running around and shouting a lot for 90 mins or so, didn't click for me but cool it's out there now for the fans.
The adult version of me acknowledges, there’s a hell of a lot of kids shouting at one another in this film.

The adult version of me acknowledges, there’s a hell of a lot of kids shouting at one another in this film.
The shouting was my biggest lasting impression first time around. Years later watched again & got the plot!

I was lucky enough to see The Goonies at the cinema when it was released. I would have been 11 or 12 - exactly the right age. Even back then, it always struck me how natural the child actors are - They all act exactly like kids would, even down to the swearing. But what sets this apart for me is this scene. Surprisingly moving.

It's perhaps the best Spielberg film that he didn't actually make himself. He wrote the original story of course, and the much maligned (unfairly I think) Chris Columbus wrote the screenplay.

I think the cast is just great, they're all perfect in their roles. Some have more to do than others, and Josh Brolin is pretty one dimensional, but the core Goonies themselves are all fantastic.

It's perhaps the best Spielberg film that he didn't actually make himself. He wrote the original story of course, and the much maligned (unfairly I think) Chris Columbus wrote the screenplay.

I think the cast is just great, they're all perfect in their roles. Some have more to do than others, and Josh Brolin is pretty one dimensional, but the core Goonies themselves are all fantastic.
It always amazes me how busy Spielberg was throughout the late 70's and 80's. He had his fingerprints on just about everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom