1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Goodies....at last R2

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Setenza, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I recently picked this up on Ebay, brand new and sealed for £14. Last Monday they had had "comedy connections" on BBC1 about the "Goodies" so I was feeling very nostalgic.

Having watched the two disc set which has a collection of classic episodes, I am surprised at how well the humour still holds up. There are lots of topical 70's trappings that will be lost on anyone under 25, but the bulk of the jokes are based around timeless slaptick scenarios and sight gags.

The restoration is excellent particulalrly when you consider that most of the filmed footage was on 16MM. The commentary is also very good and adds extra value to an entertaining set of discs.

I always remember the misconception that the "Goodies" was more a chilrens orientated program compared to the satire of David Frost, Pete & Dud and Python. However, check out this screen grab and check out the newpaper headlines. I'm amazed how this got past white, middleclass, christian BBC officials at the time.

[​IMG]

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I think its because they just didn't see it.......... Like Lou Reeds reference to "giving head" on 'Walk on the wild side'. If you didnt make it too obvious, the crusty brigade could be bypassed.

I was given a Goodies VHS for Xmas 2003. You're right the humour, while a little dated, still makes you laugh. The kids, the oldest of whom is 13, still found it funny.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I always remember the bits where they had dummy’s for stunts like falling down a cliff or being shoot out of a a cannon and it landing on the floor then them cutting it to the real person, which I think was a joke in itself.

If you are a fan of the Goodies you may want to check out Radio 7 on a Friday as the have repeats of the 70’s ‘I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again’ staring the goodies team and John Cleese and some others you may not know.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    The Goodies and the Beanstalk is being shown Monday 27th on Ch4 at 7pm

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Ecky-Thump always sticks in my mine as a classic :)