The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Anyone know where this can be ordered from? Can't seem to find it listed anywhere for sale.

Thanks for the review, Cas.

A truly classic film, that's up there with the all-timers.

I'm going to slightly disagree with the picture and sound quality score.

Personally, I felt both could be improved on.

The picture, no doubt by far the best it's looked at home, had blown highlights in a few places.

The sound still a bit shrilly on the score. If you've seen and heard the Italian Ripley release of A Fistful Of Dollars, the mono soundtrack is something else.

However, I'm probably nit-picking, as this release is cause for celebration. The proper original theatrical cut, in 4K, looking great with it's original mono soundtrack. It's a no-brainer purchase.

Anyone on the fence about this one, just buy it, it's great.

Anyone know where this can be ordered from? Can't seem to find it listed anywhere for sale.
Apparently nowhere at the moment.
But it's coming back they say.
Bit concerned WOWHD have removed their listing though - as opposed to saying out of stock. Maybe they won't re-stock.

I am a massive fan of spaghetti westerns and really enjoy the morricone score, so much so that I have a CD of the spaghetti wester soundtracks. Will be on the lookout for this one - george

Great review and completely agree but a few things missing which are important and every reviewer is missing this.

Original Theatrical version for the first time since an old laserdisc which that still had a few frames missing.

Original Mono taken from that laserdisc

An up-mix of the laserdisc mono track to 5.1.

All the extras are now in the correct frame-rate so no annoying judder, accept a few trailers which seem to have not been corrected.

But yea best release this year.

However, I'm probably nit-picking, as this release is cause for celebration. The proper original theatrical cut, in 4K, looking great with it's original mono soundtrack. It's a no-brainer purchase.

Anyone on the fence about this one, just buy it, it's great.

Is this the version without the added scenes (eg Tuco recruiting his posse etc) that were inserted into the blu-ray version? I have the steelbook of that and am really not happy with either the cut or the image quality.

Which version is this - there are multiple added scenes across various versions and this review doesn't mention them?

Is this the version without the added scenes (eg Tuco recruiting his posse etc) that were inserted into the blu-ray version? I have the steelbook of that and am really not happy with either the cut or the image quality.

Yup, this is the original theatrical cut, WITHOUT the additional scenes which were redubbed a decade or so back by Eastwood and Wallach because there was no original audio.

You can watch all the extra scenes in 4K though, as they've stuck them on the disc, they just haven't added them back in for some bastardised version as was the habit before.

Thanks for the review Cas.

Now for the task of hunting down where to buy this from!

Cas has brilliantly described the genius of this film for newcomers to it. Fans have been waiting for this cut in HD for years and now here it is in UHD!

The quality of this disc is first class and it’ll be the only of my copies of this film I’ll ever watch again. I’ll probably only keep the old copies for some extras if I even will watch them.

Hopefully this will come back into stock for existing and new fans to savour. Get this disc any which way you can.

I have watched this more times than any other film, it Never gets old a masterpiece, probably the greatest film ever made.

Great review that has me gutted I seem to be on a backorder with wow. Ah well.

Thanks for the review Cas can't wait to see this on HDR just gives me another reason to rewatch this masterpiece

Sounds fantastic, I know they had 2 or 3 goes at getting the blu ray right but to no avail. Sounds like they’ve cracked it with this

Cas has brilliantly described the genius of this film for newcomers to it. Fans have been waiting for this cut in HD for years and now here it is in UHD!

The quality of this disc is first class and it’ll be the only of my copies of this film I’ll ever watch again. I’ll probably only keep the old copies for some extras if I even will watch them.

Hopefully this will come back into stock for existing and new fans to savour. Get this disc any which way you can.
Sounds like this is worth paying a fistful of dollars, maybe see if it's available on Ebay for a few dollars more.
Sorry, but you started it by slipping in another Clint Eastwood title. :)

Wish certain UK boutique labels would just ditch whatever plans / releases I have never heard of for the next year and just sign up all Leone's films for a 4K boxset. They can charge a few dollars more than usual - no problemo!

I don't know when this disc was released but there's been a 4k version of the dollar trilogy this movie available since last year. It's even on Prime US. This does sound like a disc I have to add to my collection if I can find a copy.

edit
I've just checked, there is actually a HDR version of this film floating around. Probably not on any disc though.

Last edited by a moderator:
So are Kino doing the whole dollars trilogy?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom