The Good Lord Bird (Sky) TV Show Review & Comments

Slinkywizard

This sounds great, Tom. Definitely my cuppa. Will give it a watch for sure.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review, I’ll give this a go.

I see on Sky Q it’s in UHD, all available to download.

MarkNorton1

Thanks Tom, starting it off now, sounds like my cup of tea 👍

Hampy1972

Distinguished Member
Brilliant show.
Watched it week by week.
Language will offend some.
Ethan Hawke rivals Mark Ruffalo (I know this much is true) for tv performance of the 2020.

Enjoy the 7 episodes onions :)

richp007

Distinguished Member
Nice Tom, nice.

I had this pegged a bit back and had forgotten all about it till I noticed it yesterday when boxing off Lovecraft Country.

Sounds like a suitable transition to make.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Balmy first episode :laugh:

Felt a little disjointed, but you could tell Hawke was throwing himself into the role. More than made up for any shortcomings.

Looks like it'll be a lot of fun anyway.

Had a Tarantino-esque feel to it as well.

Sir QD oled

It's already in my watch-list only thing you did is confirmation of it's quality;):thumbsup:

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Watched first episode last night...definitely Tarantino-esque and Hawke is great in the role although he's a very hyper/shouty character. Wasn't completely hooked but did enjoy the dialogue and humour.

encaser

This is good fun overall and manages to not be too preachy - which is ironic -, whilst offering a smattering of historic value.
It also makes for a welcome change, of late at least, for a show to dare show both good, bad and unquestionably idiotic black characters and be pretty unapologetic with them at times. Clearly though, it's mainly white characters of the time (?), who deservedly take the brunt.
Hawke is excellent and it did feel like it sometimes suffered without him, although I'd imagine much more could've been too much and Johnson manages to Carry On (!) things in the main without him.
Period pieces (comic air or otherwise) generally had me questioning if people portrayed to be that dense were done so, at times, unfairly or remotely realistically. Recent times have swung my opinion (or is that onion) more firmly in the yes direction: they were pretty stupid and unchallenging to say the least - why am I visualising Blazing Saddles...,

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom