The Good Dinosaur Review

Took the kids to see it last night. They were bored, we were bored, the rest of the cinema seemed bored. Another tiresome "journey" film where the main child character loses someone important, gets lost and then has to travel to find their way home meeting an assortment of characters, who can be turned into toys for us to buy, along the way. These incidental characters are shallow and pop up only for a couple of minutes...just enough time to deliver their moral message before moving on and yet they get their own 6ft cardboard poster in the cinema foyer.

I own most pixar films and the kids love them but this one is just awful and should have been sent straight to dvd or some satellite kids channel. Rubbish.

4/10

Last edited:
I understand that it's fiction, and that a certain amount of dramatic license comes with that, but really, another film perpetuating the myth that humans and dinosaurs co-existed on this planet at the same time?

Erm - it's an alternate reality. You're kind of missing the point......

Yes, the premise of The Good Dinosaur is that the asteroid missed the Earth 65 million years ago and that humans and dinosaurs thus evolved together.

Yes, the premise of The Good Dinosaur is that the asteroid missed the Earth 65 million years ago and that humans and dinosaurs thus evolved together.

I stand corrected then!

If I remember correctly this got delayed for some time. Why? Dunno. Could be wanting to spend more time on Inside Out? Im sure I heard it was delayed to 2016 at least and after Finding Dory. Then before you knew it, it's out.

Read little about the film, but it's not been rated that highly and this is easily the highest praise Ive seen it get.

But certainly not worth a cinema trip for me.

If there's no talking I can understand why people are bored.

The dinosaurs talk but I don't think the human child 'Spot' does. Mind you a lack of talking doesn't mean that people will be bored, there's almost no dialogue in the first 20 minutes of Wall-E and that's a masterpiece.

We saw this today and I have to say we didnt like it at all and found the level of violence and constant death/kill comments very much unsuitable for our nearly 5 year old. Even leavin that aside a very dull film given the talent involved.

I saw this yesterday with my 6 year old, and I'd give it a 6/10.

Was tad scary for 6 year old, but some funny moments and good surround in places.

Just got back from watching this with my son, nearly 6. He liked it, and asked when he could have the DVD.
But was very generic and certainly not a Pixar classic. As already said by others, very run of the mill and seen it all before. 'offspring gets separated form parents, goes on a journey of discovery finding his way back home, meeting friends and enemies along the way. Nothing original here.
Not a bad film by any means, just don't expect anything new. One for the kids.

Last edited:
The dinosaurs talk but I don't think the human child 'Spot' does. Mind you a lack of talking doesn't mean that people will be bored, there's almost no dialogue in the first 20 minutes of Wall-E and that's a masterpiece.
That's OK then. Got to be honest I loved wall e but couldn't stand more than 20 mins of Shaun the sheep with all that nonsensical mutterings. Everybody raved about it but we turned it off.

I understand that it's fiction, and that a certain amount of dramatic license comes with that, but really, another film perpetuating the myth that humans and dinosaurs co-existed on this planet at the same time?

Erm - it's an alternate reality. You're kind of missing the point......

Sorry to be 'that guy', but if the dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct, evolution would have unfolded completely differently on Earth and humans wouldn't have evolved at all. None of today's mammals would be here in fact.

Entrylevel has a point, but for the wrong reasons. The 'myth' perpetuated here is the conceit that humans were 'always destined to evolve' somehow.

But as its a kids film, I guess it gets a pass :).

Sorry to be 'that guy', but if the dinosaurs hadn't gone extinct, evolution would have unfolded completely differently on Earth and humans wouldn't have evolved at all.
Well how do you explain this documentary film:rolleyes:......:D

Seen this at the weekend and it was a topper.

it had a few tearjerker moments in it. Spot was fantastic.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom