The Goo cinema build

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone!!

Been eager to start this thread for a little while since I got permission from the wife to start the garage conversion into a home cinema. The builder started yesterday (Mon 3/9/07). Thought about posting this when nearer completion but decided a day-by-day account will be much more exciting!!

Here is the garage prior to commencing work :

And at the end of day one :

Will post some more when I have them - daily, if I can remember.

Any comments as I go along would be much appreciated!!

MrO

woohoo another new build! i love watching these things come from nothing.

good luck to you, and prepare to say gd buy to your money lol :thumbsup:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Are you leaving the garage door in place,if so why are you having a window.

If you are removing the garage door, would it have not been better to remove before bricking it in.

kdog

If you are removing the garage door, would it have not been better to remove before bricking it in.

Yeah thats an idea :confused:, and then let the local neds in through the opening to raid your house while you wait on the window going in!! :suicide::rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :rolleyes:

Good luck on your build mate :thumbsup:

martind

Looks like your garage could be a similar size to ours, we have been thinking about converting for a while and had put it off due the arrival of our son this April.

Out of the blue the other week the wife asked if i would consider converting the garage, so i am back in the planning stages again:clap:!!

I'll be keen to see how you get on and will keep one eye on your build.

As asked earlier, what size is the garage?

Good luck and keep the picture coming.

Martin

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Are you leaving the garage door in place,if so why are you having a window.

We are removing the garage door but it stays in place until we have completed the internal renovations and then can knock through into the hallway.

Then the garage door gets removed and the window put in place.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Best of luck and hope you have plenty of patience.

Looks like you have a great space there. What size is the room going to be?

Keep the pictures coming so we can all see your progress

cheers Max - just had a look at yours WOW :eek::eek:

The garage measures 4.8m x 2.7m (roughly 16ft x 9ft) and should be an ideal size for the home cinema. I'll keep posting pictures when there is something to see.

The builder has bricked up the side door (not pictured) today and started preparing for the stud walls, a cupboard for the electric board and boiler - he's a top man. I've got my 7m QED HDMI lead along with a HDMI switcher ready for the off and I'll put putting these wires along with the speaker wires underneath the floor and behind the plasterboard on Saturday ....

I will then be able to run SkyHD and HD-DVD to the HD73 PJ - will be buying another LCD to sit just behind the projector screen drop for the kids to play PS2 on and to watch SkyHD without the need to get the PJ out every time - will connect this via component.

Phew! The plan is coming together and I'm running out of money too!

signs

Banned
Good luck on you conversion mate :smashin:

P's buy the kids a PS3 you tight g!t :D (blue ray for you ;))

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Good luck on you conversion mate :smashin:

P's buy the kids a PS3 you tight g!t :D (blue ray for you ;))

that's a definite possibility! that's one of the reasons why I bought a 3 in 1 HDMI splitter for future use ....... have to try and sneak it in when the wife isn't watching, I know, I'll smash the PS2 accidentally!!

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
:clap::clap::clap:

Great news and finally it has started, looking forward to a daily update mate :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, Steve's initial plans for the garage fell at the first hurdle - they did not get past the wife-planning-permission stage....

[URL=http://imageshack.us] [/URL]

That would have been great, oh well :(

signs

Banned
that's a definite possibility! that's one of the reasons why I bought a 3 in 1 HDMI splitter for future use ....... have to try and sneak it in when the wife isn't watching, I know, I'll smash the PS2 accidentally!!

just switch it mate, she will never know, they're both black :D

:rolleyes: :D

domtheone

Distinguished Member
LOL @ Long Legs:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Miniholic

And another member beings to slide down the slippery slope. :hiya:

Look forward to seeing it come together.

:clap::clap::clap:
Unfortunately, Steve's initial plans for the garage fell at the first hurdle - they did not get past the wife-planning-permission stage....

That would have been great, oh well :(

Why didn't I think of that before I sent the scaffold back?

just switch it mate, she will never know, they're both black :D

But its shiney, women notice shiney stuff.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Cheers Mini - I have been looking at your thread today and got to say "I love that paint .... "

Will be getting some of that suede paint in mine ... if the wife goes for it.

Cheers!

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
More pictures please Steve :lease:

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
More pictures please Steve :lease:

not today mate as it doesn't look any different from the outside. The builder has started on the studded walls and the floor and made preparation for the new doorway into the hall.

He then sealed the garage door up again before leaving - so no new pictures. :(

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
not today mate as it doesn't look any different from the outside. The builder has started on the studded walls and the floor and made preparation for the new doorway into the hall.

He then sealed the garage door up again before leaving - so no new pictures. :(

Looking forward to the end of the month mate for the grand unveiling.

breakersrevenge

Long Legs, Thats was funny!!!
forget the kit list, I want to see the tit list!!

breakersrevenge

And good luck with the build!

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

If it were me I'd be looking to find a way to build in some IB subs into the roof space whilst you can run cables and power. They'll be discrete and bring a smile to your face.

Secondly, if you are using stud walls, consider making them double boarded and get some of that acoustic deadening stuff, "Green Glue". There's plenty of info on its use in home DIY sound projects.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Thanks Bob - the sound proofing on the walls won't be a problem. Two of the walls will be external, one will lead to the hallway and the other to the kitchen. We are however considering installing some kind of sound proofing on the ceiling as my daughter's bedroom is directly above ..... :rolleyes:

Update ....

just taken some pictures of the internal work .... the builder's son working on the floor and you can see some of the studded wall going in around the circuit board ..... and in the back corner you can just make out where the door used to be (now bricked up) again with preparations for the new internal wall ....... and is it me or does it look like he's drilling through his hand????

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Further update (now purchased all the kit)

Optoma Themescene HD73 projector
SkyHD - HDMI to projector, component to LCD
Tosh HD-E1 Hd-DVD player - HDMI to projector
Octava 3way HDMI switch
QED 10m cable
existing Denon 1906 amp
existing Kef 1005s speakers
existing Tosh 32WLT66 lcd tv - component to SkyHD
PS2 - scart to Tosh

That should do it!

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
.... you can see some of the studded wall going in around the circuit board .....

Ah, I thought the stud wall was a major end -of-room partition, but now I see what stud walling you mean, as you say, there's no issue with sound.

I suppose if your daughter's bedroom is partly above the garage then that would put a dampener on some roof space IB subs!

Just wake me up when its finished will you!! ;) :D

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom