1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Godfather - any one looking forward?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Manhunter, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Manhunter

Manhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone really looking forward to this box set? I ordered mine from amazon, so it should be here by tuesday.

Would you have prefered them seperately, or as a box set?

I prefer the box set, becasue of the extra disc.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Manhunter,

I already have this set, from the US, as it arrived last weekend! It is an excellent set, and is a highly recommended series!

Pooch

3. Manhunter

Manhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think UK amazon orders will arrive before tuesday?

4. Jay2000

Jay2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I've posted before - I would much have preferred them to release a 'chronological' edition like they did on VHS and I just hope once I've bought this version they dont rip us all off by releasing another version in a years time or something crap like that.

Jay

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    I got mine from Futureent.com and love it..Watched the first last night, nice transfer, but there are a few scenes that seem to drop in quality a bit.
    Gutted that Godfather 2 is over two discs, but the set looks lovely and I;m loking forward to watching the other movies before I hit the extras disc..

6. Manhunter

Manhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean that for Godfather II you have to swap discs a a certain point? If so, why? They could fit Apcalypse Now Redux on one disc, and thats over 3 and a half hours.

Or is it just that the audio commentary is on disc 3?

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's to preserve a high bit rate for the entire 200 minutes. One should remember that Paramount would have nothing to gain as a company from splitting the film into 2 parts.

A DVD-9 (aka RSDL, aka Single Side - Dual Layer) disc can hold 113 minutes of 'data' at the max bit-rate of 10.08 Mbps (the absolute max b-r). This of course includes both video and all audio.

With 448 Kbps (?) assigned for the English DD5.1 soundtrack, 448 Kbps (again: ?) for the French one and assuming 192 Kbps for the commentary, 200 minutes squeezed onto one DVD-9 would give an average b-r of 5.69 Mbps, giving an average picture b-r of just over 4.5 Mbps. Spread over 2 discs allows for a maximum - and constant - picture b-r of 8.9.

These figures don't of course allow for menus and subtitles, both of which use (an admittedly usually small amount of) disc space too.

As has been intimated elsewhere on these boards by MrD., picture quality is not solely dependent on b-r, though allowing for more sure doesn't do any harm per se. And a good high b-r transfer should always be better than a good low b-r transfer, all other things being equal.

[ 06-10-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]