The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (etc)- DVD Release Info!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Want to buy this film, (and its two eventual sequels, which have already been filmed and in some nations released), on DVD, having loved the books. However, I note there are various different releases due out in July, and would like help from anyone who saw the first film in the cinema, in regards to what ratio it was shown in please, as 2.35:1 appears to be the proper and director-approved version. So far, the following releases have been confirmed:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
UK Region 2 (PAL)
- Single disc
- Swedish language/English subtitles and English dubbed
- Anamorphic 2.35:1
- 152 minutes (uncut)
- available from 19th July
- DVD and Blu-Ray editions available.
- Extras include: audio commentary; short "Making Of" featurette, and a couple of interviews with the cast and crew.

German Region 2 (Under the title "Verblendung") (PAL)
- Single disc
- German dubbed and English dubbed
- Anamorphic 1.78:1
- 147 minutes (uncut)
- available since 10th February
- DVD and Blu-Ray editions available!

US Region 1 (NTSC)
- Single disc
- 152 minutes (uncut)
- available from 6th July
- DVD edition only at the moment. Blu-Ray expected soon.

Sweden Region 2 (Under the title "Män Som Hatar Kvinnor") (PAL)
- Single disc
- Swedish language only, with optional Swedish subtitles! (Disappointing, but understandable)
- Unknown duration :(
- available from 19th August
- DVD edition only.

Japan Region 2 (NTSC)
- Single disc
- Swedish language/Japanese subtitles and Japanese dubbed
- Anamorphic 1.78:1
- 153 minutes (uncut or possibly extended?)
- available since 4th June
- DVD edition only.

Australia Region 4 (PAL)
- Single disc
- 164 minutes (uncut AND extended!*)
- available 2nd September
- DVD and Blu-Ray editions to be released.
- * = The film was released theatrically, in the Netherlands, in both the regular 152m edition, and an extended 180m version! Could the Australians be getting the longer edition?!

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE
German Region 2 (Under the title "Verdammnis")
- Single disc
- Swedish language/German subtitles and German dubbed
- 124 minutes (details unknown)
- available since 4th June
- DVD edition only!

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNETS NEST
No official releases detailed yet.

Any help anyone can offer, in terms of which ratio the first film should be viewed in, and/or details of any extras on any of the versions of the first film on DVD or Blu-Ray, would be very much appreciated. :) As it stands with the first film, looks like it's going to be a toss-up between the US release (for being in 2.35:1, and having both the original Swedish audio with English subs, and an English dub audio option) or the Australian release (for potentially being an extended Director's Cut, complete with both the original Swedish audio with English subs, and an English dub audio option).

Pooch

Last edited:

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Part 1 was great, but two was boring and gave up with part 3.

I think the first one was a great thriller but a bit too long and very slow to start off.

Will Scarlet

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo's OAR is 2.35:1. Whilst I believe The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest are both 1.85:1.:smashin:

Last edited:

Prawnee

Novice Member
They played the 180m version at Fright Fest last year and i must say that it didn't get boring or drag. So i'm after that version.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Jalaldevil,

Are you talking about the books or the movies?

Pooch

The film.

This movie was already 152 min and I can't imagine how the 180m version will be.

I loved the mystery part of the film but the sub story with the emo girl was quite a snooze feast.

I'd give this a 8/10. :blush:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Jalaldevil,

I loved the mystery part of the film but the sub story with the emo girl was quite a snooze feast.

The "Emo Girl"?! You do know "Lisbeth Salander" is the heroine of the whole fricking story! :eek: :rotfl: Or were you referring to her flat-mate?

Still, irrespective, I really want to get this film, but only if it's the original, untainted version, in Swedish with English subtitles, and in 2.35:1. Looks like I might have to wait for the Australian release towards the end of the year. :(

Pooch

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Jalaldevil,

The "Emo Girl"?! You do know "Lisbeth Salander" is the heroine of the whole fricking story! :eek: :rotfl: Or were you referring to her flat-mate?

Still, irrespective, I really want to get this film, but only if it's the original, untainted version, in Swedish with English subtitles, and in 2.35:1. Looks like I might have to wait for the Australian release towards the end of the year. :(

Pooch

LOL thats her, "Lisbeth Salander".

I'm not saying the film is bad but just didn't like her character but the "I'm a sick rapist pig" scene was a good laugh. :D

Deffo go with the subtitle version, English dubbed films just don't feel right. :suicide:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've just found out that in Sweden, the 3 films were all made for Swedish TV, made-up of 2 episodes each, of roughly 90 minutes each, and were intended to be watched as one, gigantic, six-part epic! :cool:

It was only because they were deemed to be of such a high quality, that a shorter, alternate edit of each movie was considered, for cinema release. As such, it may be best to wait for the inevitable "Extended Versions" of each movie, to get the complete version of each film, e.g. as per the Australian Region 4 release in September.

BTW, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" is out in UK cinemas in August 2010, and "The Girl With The Hornet's Nest" is out in UK cinemas, in October 2010. Both of these, will also be slightly-truncated versions of the original 180-minute Swedish TV adaptions.

Therefore, you may want to wait until a box set release of all three films, in their full, uncut and original versions of roughly 3-hours per film, become available, as they almost certainly will do.

Pooch

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom