The Girl in the Spider’s Web (26 October 2018) directed by Fede Alvarez

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Sony is eyeing Don’t Breathe and Evil Dead director Fede Alvarez to take on the long-brewing follow-up, The Girl in the Spider’s Web. Rooney Mara is expected to return as Lizbeth Salander.

Based on the new novel by David Lagercrantz, who took over the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo novels after series creator Stieg Larson died in 2004, The Girl in the Spider’s Web comes from a script Steven Knight (Eastern Promises) penned with prolific producer Scott Rudin (No Country for Old Men). The novel follows Salander through another investigative team-up with Mikael Blomkvist (played by Daniel Craig in the first film) when they uncover a web of government spies and cyber criminals with deadly stakes.

Fede Alvarez In Talks To Helm Sony's 'Girl In The Spider's Web'; 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel Planned For Next Year

tumblr_nufdldpEyv1urq46vo1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Fede Alvarez has signed on to helm the project, which is set to begin its principal photography in September of this year with a theatrical release date scheduled for October 5, 2018.

It's being reported that the movie will feature an entirely new cast, which includes the role of Lisbeth Salander, initially portrayed by actress Noomi Repace in the original Swedish triology andRooney Mara in Fincher's version. Steven Knight, Fede Alvarez and Jay Basu will pen a script for the upcoming film based on the fourth book in the Millennium series that was written by David Lagercrantz after Stieg Larson's passing in November of 2014.

Dragon Tattoo Reboot Girl in the Spider's Web Gets 2018 Release Date

Id rather they let Fincher finish the other two first.

Big Fincher fan but his take was disappointing and nowhere near a patch on the original, best start afresh.
Couldn't disagree more.

Any particular reason, have you viewed the original extended cut ?
Yes mate. I saw the Fincher film first. I was dragged to it by the gf after subjecting her to a Transformers film. I knew nothing and was blown away by the story telling, characters and film making. It is one of my all time favourites.

I then read the books and apart from 1 discrepency it is almost a perfect adaptation.

I then watched the Swedish version and was massively disappointed. Apart from Lizbeth who is excellent in both I found everyone very miscast and as result unbelievable. The story is chopped, changed and cut about with abandon for no obvious reason. It is no where near as powerful or as beautiful.

It's ok but not even in the same ball park as Finchers in my opinion.

Yes mate. I saw the Fincher film first. I was dragged to it by the gf after subjecting her to a Transformers film. I knew nothing and was blown away by the story telling, characters and film making. It is one of my all time favourites.

I then read the books and apart from 1 discrepency it is almost a perfect adaptation.

I then watched the Swedish version and was massively disappointed. Apart from Lizbeth who is excellent in both I found everyone very miscast and as result unbelievable. The story is chopped, changed and cut about with abandon for no obvious reason. It is no where near as powerful or as beautiful.

It's ok but not even in the same ball park as Finchers in my opinion.

Thanks pal, never thought of it like that. The first ever viewing is usually my best experience of a film so if I had seen Finchers first, would I still prefer the other, interesting.

I like both film versions but I definitely prefer Fincher's. I'd have to say, though, that everything about each individual version is prefect for that version, for me. Fincher's is beautiful to look at in a way the original version can't compete with, and that's where he edges ahead.

Claire Foy (The Crown) frontrunner for Lisbeth Salander role

C_8uyrpVoAI-rDi.jpg

Read the original trilogy yonks ago, enjoyable stuff. Have got the newest book to, just can't drum up the enthusiasm though, maybe it's because it's a different author or maybe it's that this series just didn't need a sequel....

Read the original trilogy yonks ago, enjoyable stuff. Have got the newest book to, just can't drum up the enthusiasm though, maybe it's because it's a different author or maybe it's that this series just didn't need a sequel....
Mate, I feel the same. I am a big fan of the original works and feel it was totally complete in that trilogy.

I picked the new one up at the airport recently and read the blurb and put it straight down again. I'm just not interested.

Interesting choice and I'm excited to see her interpretation of Lisbeth. Personally I didn't feel the previous actors got Lisbeth completely right. She's a complicated character though. I remember her having this vulnerable and slightly childish quality, and also being quite funny at times. For me Rapace and Mara didn't really capture that side of her.

For me the original is way better.I thought it had a better atmosphere.

I liked the fincher version but I didn't the change in it with Lisbeth falling for Craig.

I loved the fact she's strong and independent and I thought that change was unessesary.

I've already seen two different takes on Lisbeth, both very good in their own ways, and this looks like another decent go at it. The trailer looks good, I like the look of it too. It's not Fincher but it still looks nicely shot. They're obviously aware his film is, visually, a tough act to follow, but on the strength of the trailer it looks like they've had a good go.

Trailer looks ridiculous, like a super hero movie.

Id rather they let Fincher finish the other two first.
The next two stories are utter gash and the remake while decent was hardly miles better better the original which was entertaining and more gripping IMO.

Love Fincher’s work but the remake is my least liked work of David Fincher. Gone Girl took him back to the level of film making he should be aiming for.

When I first read Claire Foy was doing this I checked it wasn't April 1st. She has got to act her socks off (literally) to make this work; as she's so much the nice middle class girl across the way, that's easy to forget in anything other than proper.
Oh dear, the trailer looks far too Hollywood Blockbuster and no dark and dankness to it. Claire Foy looks like Darth Sidius' sister with the hood. But top marks on the stylizing her hair and eyes to look a bit LOTR Scandinavian.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom