The gin lovers thread...

Currently on my second double Bombay with fevertree (naturally lighter) tonic and a slice of lime. Not sure if it's better as measured 50ml gin to 150ml tonic or that I'm using fevertree instead of Sainsbury's slimline Indian tonic.
Either way, it's lovely. Out of gin now though.

Currently on my second double Bombay with fevertree (naturally lighter) tonic and a slice of lime. Not sure if it's better as measured 50ml gin to 150ml tonic or that I'm using fevertree instead of Sainsbury's slimline Indian tonic.
Either way, it's lovely. Out of gin now though.
It's both, tried and tested. 3:1 Fever Tree to gin and large ice cubes/lime

My mum and her other half are huge Gin fans.

They get through loads but I bought them Conker Spirit once and they keep going for more. It's distilled locally in Dorset.

I also got them Pink 47 recently which was on offer at Amazon again they gave the thumbs up.

G&T masterclass at the Bombay distillery is a must also I'm told.

So is Bombay a good one to try? I've never tried it but always seen it as one of those bog standard ones that connoisseurs wouldn't drink (like Bells is to whisky drinkers). Although I do like Blackfriars and that is probably a bog standard gin.

Might try the Martin Miller as it's on offer on Amazon :)

Nothing wrong with Bombay, with all gins much comes down to the way it's made (lots of ice, 3:1 tonic to gin and a good tonic).

Martin Miller's is ok, but if you're new to gin I would try some others (honestly, I've found Martin Miller's to be a bit non-descript).

A fantastic one to look out for on Amazon offers is Tanqueray Rangpur: sometimes on offer for £17.49, and not to be confused with standard Tanqueray. Superb gin, different with a strong lime kick.

Nothing wrong with Bombay, with all gins much comes down to the way it's made (lots of ice, 3:1 tonic to gin and a good tonic).

Martin Miller's is ok, but if you're new to gin I would try some others (honestly, I've found Martin Miller's to be a bit non-descript).

A fantastic one to look out for on Amazon offers is Tanqueray Rangpur: sometimes on offer for £17.49, and not to be confused with standard Tanqueray. Superb gin, different with a strong lime kick.

Thanks - will have a look. I'd say I'm relatively new, been drinking for around 6 months or so but have only really tried maybe 5 or so different makes (whatever looks good on offer at the shops).

Suppose I should start measuring out my tonic properly. I tend to get it spot on each time with 4 cubes of ice, 50ml gin and then half a can of tonic (so 125ml roughly). Always tastes good to me :)

Think we might need a cocktail thread as well - always on the hunt for new cocktails to try as I'm getting a bit obsessed with my Expresso Martinis at the moment!

That one sounds rank. Coriander! Yuck.

The coriander is very recessed; I would say there's a tiny hint of spice in the gin, but the fruit is much more forward. I'd describe it as quite a zingy gin!

@rousetafarian - I liked Monkey 47 initially, but over time I've found myself enjoying traditional gins more. It's almost too complex for it's own good...it's like a giant gin mashup. I do like the fact that in the gin world, there's so many variations though.

Had some cracking gins at the weekend in the sun, got a bottle of tanqueray no 10 and added loads of ice, lime and elderflower fizzy water, wow cracking refreshing taste the only problem is the wife liked it too, damn my gin supply will need topping up.

Grabbed a bottle of Bombay Sapphire yesterday as it had been mentioned here a bit and was on offer.
Quite nice, non offensive with a bit of a floral aftertaste but not a bad at all. Not on the same level as the Blackwoods and Whitley Neill I've tried but could be a good alternative to Blackfriars as a general day-to-day gin - not that I drink every day.... :)

Also had Bulldog on offer - anyone tried that?

I picked up a bottle of Tanqueray import strength and Bulldog as they were on offer. Not tried either yet.

Bulldog is ok - try it with a slice of grapefruit, or blood orange :)

Also - the ginventory app is very useful (free download). Shows you what tonics and garnishes go best with each gin :)

I went for the surprising pleasure that is Tesco Finest Botanical at a frankly ridiculous £14.00 for 750ml @43% by Vol.

Adding Fevertree, Lemon and Ice ready for the boxing later on

First try of tanqueray no 10 with grapefruit excellent gin really liked it, wife had portobello again with grapefruit and it was nice but between the two the tanqeray shaded it.
We then tried Gin Mare this came with rosemary, Basil Leaf and ice while I had Adnams copper house which came with cucumber slices both were light refreshing drinks which we intend to replicate on a hot summers day (hopefully) in the garden.

Adnams Copper House with cucumber? Save that garnish for Hendricks! Copper House is awesome with orange or orange peel, but definitely not cucumber!

Tasted pretty good to me not tried orange though so something to look forward to.
Same barman advised black pepper with Matin Miller but not sure about that, anyone ever tried gin this way?

Bulldog is ok - try it with a slice of grapefruit, or blood orange :)

Also - the ginventory app is very useful (free download). Shows you what tonics and garnishes go best with each gin :)

Just got that one and for me it's a bit.............OK but probably one I wouldn't buy again.

Bombay, Brecon Botanicals and Opihr are three that I would have again.

Last edited:
It used to be said that Bombay Sapphire (remembering Bombay do other versions) was the non-gin drinkers gin.

Currently making my way through two bottles from the Dyfi Distillery. Pollination is a highly botanical gin, very floral taste. Hibernation is briefly aged in a 100 year old white port barrel and has a slightly sweet taste to it. Both are very good but not easy to get hold of in store.

Had a Jam Jar gin a few months ago, interesting flavor, they claim "raspberries and cream" and it isn't far off.

Finally found a gin combo that the better half likes;

1. Large wine glass 3/4 full of ice
2. Double measure of Martin Millers
3. Fever Tree Sicilian Lemonade (lots)*
4. Lime

It's only taken nearly two years and lots of 'tasting' sessions.

My work here is done ✅

*nearly as expensive as gin/ml but very, very worthwhile ;)

Lime as in a slice? or a dash of juice?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom