The Genius of Photography - coming this October to BBC4

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Radiohead, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Heads up for this:

For the first time on British television, BBC Four chronicles the history of photography, in a major landmark series The Genius Of Photography.

The series considers the importance of photography as an art form, looking at a multitude of the world's greatest photographs, interspersed with exclusive interviews with renowned photographers such as William Klein and Martin Parr.

The series conjures up a picture of just how the camera has changed the way in which people view themselves and the world around them.

Continuing the photography theme comes an incredible nine-part series, Archive Of The World, in which thousands of stunning colour photographs from the early 20th century are unveiled.

They were commissioned by French financier Albert Khan as one of the most ambitious photographic projects ever to be undertaken, and the documentary series charts his amazing photographic journey across continents.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/01_january/17/bbcfour.shtml

Programme 1: Fixing the Shadows
    This tells the story of the inventions of photography and the way in which it became an integral part of the modern world. It describes the remarkable achievements of the pioneer photographers, the revolution that took place when George Eastman made photography available to the masses with the invention of the Kodak brand and the story of Jacques-Henri Lartigue, the child photographer and ultimate amateur.

Programme 2: Documents for Artists
    Following the First World War, photography was the central medium of the age. ‘Anyone who fails to understand photography’, said the photographer Lazlo Moholy-Nagy ‘will be one of the illiterates of the future’. Episode Two examines in detail the work of some of the greatest and most influential modern photographers: Alexander Rodchenko, August Sander, Man Ray, Walker Evans and Bill Brandt. With contributions from Martin Parr, Bernd and Hilla Becher and Mark Haworth-Booth.

Programme 3: Right Place, Right Time?
    ‘Being in the right place at the right time’, ‘the decisive moment’, ‘getting in close’—in the popular imagination this is photography at its best, a medium that makes us eyewitnesses to the moments when history is made. Set against the backdrop of the Second World War and its aftermath, this examines how photographers dealt with dramatic and tragic events like D-Day, the Holocaust and Hiroshima With contributions from Magnum legends Philip Jones Griffiths and Susan Meiselas, soldier-lensman Tony Vaccaro and Jon Snow.

Programme 4: Paper Movies
    The three decades from the late 1950s onwards was the real golden age of photographic journeys. Programme 4 relives the journeys that produced some of the ‘greatest paper movies’ ever: Including Robert Frank’s odyssey through 50s America and William Klein’s one-man assault on the sidewalks of New York. It also examines the arrival of colour as a credible medium for ‘serious’ photographers, as controversial at the time as Dylan going electric. Contributors include legendary photographers like William Klein, William Eggleston, Robert Adams, Joel Sternfeld, Joel Meyerowitz and artist Ed Ruscha.

Programme 5: We are Family
    Having conquered the street and the road, photographers approached the final frontier: the home, the self, private life. Programme 5 is about the pictures that photographers take of other people and the pictures they take of themselves. It’s about what happens when photography translates personal relationships into photographic ones. The chronological heartland of the programme is the 1970s (the ‘me’ decade) and the 1980s (the ‘me, me, me’ decade) and includes examination of Diane Arbus’s ‘freaks’, Richard Avedon’s confrontations with celebrities like Marylin Monroe and the confessional diaries of Nan Goldin and Araki.

Programme 6: Snap Judgements
    The final programme asks what a photograph is worth these days. We also look at the impact of the digital post-production techniques that make anything possible and the rediscovery of techniques which are taking photography back to the 19th century. With contributions from Jeff Wall, Andreas Gursky, Gregory Crewdson and China’s leading photographer Wang Qingsong.

I pre-ordered the accompanying book for this series some months back and it arrived this week. It looks like a very nice addition to my library. Publication was originally due in May, then pushed to this month. Puzzingly I had a mail from Amazon last week saying it was delayed until October. I phoned the publisher who confirmed this and said it was delayed to coincide with the TC series which should air next month now.

Then it arrived Monday.

:rolleyes:

There are 6 chapters within this mighty tome:

The Empire of Photography
    Here comes the New Photographer
    Some Decisive Moments (Maybe?)
    On the Road
    Face to Face
    What's it Worth?

All of these look to have a prologue and epilogue chapter, and appear to follow the TV series closely then. 256 pages in all, and well worth 12 and a half of your Earth pounds.

2. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Ooooh - that sounds good - need to put that in the calendar!

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Excellent news Guy. I've been looking forward to this since you first mentioned something about it a couple of months ago.

4. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Sounds awesome. Any chance of reminding us nearer the time (for those of us who have memories like sieves!)

5. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Why don't they do this on BBC HD as well though :mad: - I'm sure it's been filmed in HD for the overseas market. Seems like a no brainer :confused:

6. rizingstar

rizingstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    also.....

It's All Geek To Me(the programme,not me)

Digital cameras have revolutionised photography, but that doesn't mean they're idiot-proof. David Pogue demonstrates how to buy a camera and present the results.

Tuesday 2nd October on Discovery Science

:smashin:

also

Discovering Photography

From happy snaps to professional portraits, Ideal World helps you develop your photography skills.

Wednesday 19th September on Ideal World (ooh that was today)

but repeated on Thursday 27th September on Ideal World

7. jenufa

jenufa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Looking forward to the series:thumbsup:

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk43/thu.shtml

List Thurs 24th Oct as the start date...9-10pm, BBC4

The Genius Of Photography is the BBC's most comprehensive look at one of the world's most influential art forms – exploring every aspect of photography from daguerreotype to digital.

Featuring many of the greatest photographs ever taken – and the photographers who took them – this new, six-part series looks at the history of photography, from Man Ray and Walker Evans to more contemporary geniuses such as Richard Avedon, Sally Mann and Martin Parr.

The series begins in a palazzo on the Grand Canal, Venice. Using bin-liners and masking tape, photographer Abe Morell turns a room into a camera. He cuts a small hole to let a tight beam of light into the blacked-out room and, with it, the outside world comes pouring in – upside down and twice as natural, thereby demonstrating one half of the simple but profound physical principles on which photography is based.

The other half – the problem of "fixing the shadows" – took longer to solve but, when that was done by two rival methods announced in 1839 by Henry Fox Talbot and Louis Daguerre, photography was born.

Tonight's programme tells the story of the inventions of photography and the way in which it became an integral part of the modern world – not just by documenting but also by changing the way people understood their world. It describes the remarkable achievements of the pioneer photographers including Edward Muybridge's Motion Studies – the revolution that took place when George Eastman made photography available to the masses with the invention of the Kodak brand and the story of Jacques-Henri Lartigue, the child photographer and ultimate amateur. There are also interviews with Chuck Close and David Byrne.

9. tdodd

tdodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    According to Digiguide it is on on Thursday 25th at 21:00 on BBC4 and again on Friday 26th at 00:20 and 02:50. I assume the Friday showings are repeats but that's not made clear.

10. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    That'll be next Thursday then.

11. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    I'm going to a talk at 1pm with Martin Parr, and wondered if anyone had any questions i should ask him?

I'll admit i had to look up his name to find out what the fuss about him is/was, but not being very familiar with his work, wasn't sure what to ask without looking like a numpty... :rolleyes:

EDIT: fascinating guy. I like the concept of worrying less about "perfect" images and just saying something.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Ask him if he wants to buy a special Saddam Hussein watch that you know a scottish guy will do a deal on..... (it will make sense after the talk I think)

13. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Yes he does :smashin:

14. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Is this a repeat of the series that was on last year?

15. vtecsilver

vtecsilver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looks interesting - will have to keep eye out for a repeat run :smashin:

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    The thread was resurrected to ask a question about MARTIN PARR. Not to let folk now that the show was being repeated. I think if you do a u-tube search you may find some of it...at least I think I found some that way. It was a good series imho. No idea if it'll get repeated.

Gordon

17. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    doh!

18. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217

19. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    Yeah sorry i couldn't find a good Martin Parr thread, and given people who saw this might be interested in him, i used my powers of threadnomancy... :blush: