The general football chat thread

I think most of us appreciated him as a footballer though, regardless of that handball. Just seems a selective few can’t let it go.

Couldn’t care a less about his troubles, what he did on the pitch is what I’ll judge him on.

Thing is, people from around the world see that kind of coverage and think that that’s what English people ‘are like’

Thing is, people from around the world see that kind of coverage and think that that’s what English people ‘are like’
Shilton was on the radio before and said he still held a grudge. Unbelievable.

I always think that when I’m in Benidorm. We aren’t like that. Are we?

I always think that when I’m in Benidorm. We aren’t like that. Are we?

There's always exceptions to the rule :smashin: , but it's hard not to think that way when all the mainstream media in Britain reported his death in the same way apart from the bit I seen of Gary Linekar which was a great tribute.
My work whatsapp group has 3 English guys, myself and 2 Scotsmen. It's only the English guys who have been putting up the jokes and slagging Maradona off for whatever he did outside of football.
In General chat there have been posts removed from the thread because a section of people can't contain themselves.

Blimey at some of the disrespectful comments in here.

He was a magnificent player, had his troubles off the pitch but that doesn’t warrant the tirade of abuse in here. Some people are fudgeing dicks.

Sad news to hear about his passing.....what a genius player he was despite how troubled he was. The Diego Maradona film is well worth a watch as it shows a lot of the issues he had which I really believe would not happen today if he was playing now. He'd be much better protected and not taken advantage of.

To me he's like a rock star from the 70's/80's.......undoubted genius, brought joy to millions, but caught up in drugs and alcohol and misbehaviour which was also part of the enigma/persona. Today you don't get rock stars like that anymore.....same with Maradona. RIP tortured genius

Well said @Donnacha

how that contrasts with “he’s a Coked up cheat”

Well said @Donnacha

how that contrasts with “he’s a Coked up cheat”

And that was from a football fan!!

Of the hundred's of millions of people who have ever kicked a ball around with their friends, this man was in the top 2 of all time.
How a football fan can disrespect that is beyond me.

And that was from a football fan!!

Of the hundred's of millions of people who have ever kicked a ball around with their friends, this man was in the top 2 of all time.
How a football fan can disrespect that is beyond me.
There’s plenty of geniuses across music, film and so on that have had troubled lives. Maybe the exposure ? The fame?

Would you dismiss Elvis in the same way? David Bowie, George Michael and so on .....

Shilton was on the radio before and said he still held a grudge. Unbelievable.

If he could jump more than 2 inches off the ground he’d of cleared it, bitter old man

1606415367679.jpeg

Great leap from Diego there

For me, Maradona was the greatest of all time
Yes you could argue about Messi and Ronaldo going for longer and more sustained in a more competitive era. And Pele is Pele. But Maradona had magic.

In the 86 world cup all you wanted to see was him on the ball.
Forget the rest of the Argentinian team.
They were just there to pass the ball to him and let him do his magic
And they were happy with that

As youngster he made you sit on the edge of your seat.
Twisting and turning and bristling with speed with a very low centre of gravity he just forced your attention.
Doesn't matter which country you supported, you always tuned in to the Argentina game
What a football legend :(

Last edited:
That’s brilliant

Just seen a highlights package of the ‘treatment’ the England players dished out to Maradona throughout the ‘86 game. Elbows, kicks, all sorts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom