The general football chat thread

Just wanted to say that the other football Threads can all get a bit too tribal and snarky for my liking, but this one is a great credit to people who love their teams and the game, but also realise that there is a wider world and context to events both on and off the field.

Here's hoping that Benik Afobe has good people around him as he looks likely to be out for the Season with his ACL injury, plus having to deal with the emotional aftermath of his daughter's death.

Thank you to everyone for your support over Hillsborough. On a Thread about Prince Andrew and Epstein, someone wrote that evidence and proof are two separate things: Duckenfield's acquittal, sadly, shows that to be all too true when it comes to the Establishment covering its own arse. We can only hope and pray that what we've been through will never happen to another club.

And finally, here's hoping we have reached a tipping point in this country regarding racist abuse of players. I have little faith in either Italy, Spain or some other countries in Eastern Europe as they are just so backward in their thinking, and their FA's just close ranks. Both FIFA and UEFA make all the right noises but then give out half-hearted punishments, so mixed messages doesn't even come close to describing what they're doing.

The money in the PL is still too terrifying to contemplate, and I wish there was more distribution of funds throughout the footballing pyramid. I also wish there was more fan representation on Boards and more options for fan ownership, that female professional footballers were paid more so they could go full time, that there were more BAME coaches, more disabled access at grounds etc etc.

I still love the game, though! :)

Just wanted to say that the other football Threads can all get a bit too tribal and snarky for my liking, but this one is a great credit to people who love their teams and the game, but also realise that there is a wider world and context to events both on and off the field.

Here's hoping that Benik Afobe has good people around him as he looks likely to be out for the Season with his ACL injury, plus having to deal with the emotional aftermath of his daughter's death.

Thank you to everyone for your support over Hillsborough. On a Thread about Prince Andrew and Epstein, someone wrote that evidence and proof are two separate things: Duckenfield's acquittal, sadly, shows that to be all too true when it comes to the Establishment covering its own arse. We can only hope and pray that what we've been through will never happen to another club.

And finally, here's hoping we have reached a tipping point in this country regarding racist abuse of players. I have little faith in either Italy, Spain or some other countries in Eastern Europe as they are just so backward in their thinking, and their FA's just close ranks. Both FIFA and UEFA make all the right noises but then give out half-hearted punishments, so mixed messages doesn't even come close to describing what they're doing.

The money in the PL is still too terrifying to contemplate, and I wish there was more distribution of funds throughout the footballing pyramid. I also wish there was more fan representation on Boards and more options for fan ownership, that female professional footballers were paid more so they could go full time, that there were more BAME coaches, more disabled access at grounds etc etc.

I still love the game, though! :)
Great piece of writing .. please become a regular contributor on the Football thread.👍

Great piece of writing .. please become a regular contributor on the Football thread.👍

Awww, thank you very much for the request! :blush:

To be honest, I don't feel as well informed or knowledgeable as you guys. I mean, all I do is watch MOTD, MOTD2 and EFL on Quest every week. I also watch any League and FA Cup highlights too. My boss has a subscription with Virgin Media, so I catch the European highlights on BT Sport each time (why on earth is the studio so MASSIVE?!), but I have little interest in International competitions as I have no interest in national pride.

I've been following Liverpool FC for 42 years and would love to be a Season ticket holder with my adopted hometown club, Brighton & Hove Albion, but I just can't afford it. :(

I'll contribute from time to time if I think I have anything insightful or relevant to say, but it's the generally respectful tone of this Thread that I really like. There's piss-taking but not too much abuse. I mean, I'm always happy to see Everton and United suffer defeats, but I don't hate their fans nor their managers.

We're going to win the League, anyway! ;)

;)

You’ll fit in well round here with that CV.
Enjoy the thread !!

Awww, thank you very much for the request! :blush:

To be honest, I don't feel as well informed or knowledgeable as you guys. I mean, all I do is watch MOTD, MOTD2 and EFL on Quest every week. I also watch any League and FA Cup highlights too. My boss has a subscription with Virgin Media, so I catch the European highlights on BT Sport each time (why on earth is the studio so MASSIVE?!), but I have little interest in International competitions as I have no interest in national pride.

I've been following Liverpool FC for 42 years and would love to be a Season ticket holder with my adopted hometown club, Brighton & Hove Albion, but I just can't afford it. :(

I'll contribute from time to time if I think I have anything insightful or relevant to say, but it's the generally respectful tone of this Thread that I really like. There's piss-taking but not too much abuse. I mean, I'm always happy to see Everton and United suffer defeats, but I don't hate their fans nor their managers.

We're going to win the League, anyway! ;)

You're better off here than in that other section that shall not be named ;)

I'd love a season ticket for Liverpool, I was on the waiting list for years. But took myself off in the end, and to be honest I couldn't justify the money now. And given some health problems to myself and some members of my family, I doubt I'd even get to half the games even if I did have one. Such is life.

Looking forward to the game tonight anyway. Amazon held up for me last night very well, fingers crossed it does so again!

I know the cliche: the form book goes out the window when it comes to local derbies, and Everton were unlucky against Leicester, I felt.

But I am confident we will beat them at Fortress Anfield. They'll play one up top and on the counter, and even though Richarlison can be a handful (you just have to look at him and he goes down), Virgil is a rock!

Okay, so it was tight last Season and I still don't know what on earth Pickford was doing in the last minute flapping at the ball, but we are much more patient and pragmatic now. Yes, I'd love the style of the last campaign, but more than anything I'd just like the title. :)

I love these articles, really enjoyed this one too.

Bloody hell, Van Basten is one of my favourite ever players. What a fool for saying that.

Talking about Spanish football, Joaquin is still playing and he just scored his first career hat-trick at the age of 38!

Bloody hell, I used to sign Joaquin on the right wing on Champ Man!!

I thought he'd retired years ago!

Russia have been banned from international sport for 4 years - don’t know if that includes the next Euros but it’s definitely the 2022 World Cup

Cant they just re-test the players ? Seems to be like they're being made to be a scapegoat. I have no little doubt no one else is doing it.

Cant they just re-test the players ? Seems to be like they're being made to be a scapegoat. I have no little doubt no one else is doing it.

Check out Icarus on Netflix. I used to think they're also being used as a scapegoat but this scandal was larger than I ever thought.

Check out Icarus on Netflix. I used to think they're also being used as a scapegoat but this scandal was larger than I ever thought.

Yeah I've seen it. Great docu. Hope Grigory is still doing OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom