The general football chat thread

There was also a previous scare when Spurs played Wolves a few years before but no lessons were learned. From what I've read from Spurs fans who were there that day they where very lucky.

Duckenfield was in charge that day and he failed all those families. It's terrible that he doesn't have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

It seemed clear to me that when the verdict of unlawful killing was eventually arrived at, then the person responsible would have to face criminal prosecution for his actions. There were a lot of guilty people there that day (and since) but he was the one who made that fateful decision.

A real sad day.

Inexperienced? He was hardly inexperienced was he.

Yes he was. He should never have been in charge. Which is exactly why others should have been charged too. But they were protected by a corrupt establishment. And now there's no-one left to hold accountable.

Had what was right been done at the time, justice would have been delivered in the 90's.

What would’ve happened had he not opened the gates, could people have died in the crush outside? We will never know, the ground didn’t have a safety certificate , the government had decided fans should be penned in like animals, fans themselves acted like animals in those days with the violence. There are many factors involved to blame one person who made an inexperienced call, they want a scapegoat in my opinion, no one should ever have died going to a match but to blame one man when it’s a systematic failure is wrong.
who is they ?

What would’ve happened had he not opened the gates, could people have died in the crush outside? We will never know, the ground didn’t have a safety certificate , the government had decided fans should be penned in like animals, fans themselves acted like animals in those days with the violence. There are many factors involved to blame one person who made an inexperienced call, they want a scapegoat in my opinion, no one should ever have died going to a match but to blame one man when it’s a systematic failure is wrong.

One man was all the families had left thanks to a stinking corrupt system that painted the fans as being at fault that day. And for years afterward. Helping by that fudgeing scum paper that also did a great job at the time of turning the public against the fans.

I always tell people to just watch Jimmy McGovern's Hillsborough if they want to know what happened that day. One of the most powerful pieces of television you'll watch.

who is they ?
The families and the government, the government want to throw someone under the bus, the families because they need to have someone tangible to say they “a person” did it, when it was many factors, including the match commander of the day to blame. Unfortunately due to the cover up and blatant lies 30 years ago many of those to blame will never be brought before the courts as they are either dead or in the case of those departments are no longer there.

One man was all the families had left thanks to a stinking corrupt system that painted the fans as being at fault that day. And for years afterward. Helping by that fudgeing scum paper that also did a great job at the time of turning the public against the fans.

I always tell people to just watch Jimmy McGovern's Hillsborough if they want to know what happened that day. One of the most powerful pieces of television you'll watch.
I agree mate that program was horrific but like you said one man is all that is left.

Agreed and outstanding, gob smacking documentary. It left me heartbroken and speechless.

Let’s have it right - it could have happened at another ground, another time such was the policing and ground conditions at the time. I was at Ewood Park that day watching City lose and the news was filtering through about crowd trouble.

The lies that followed and the cover up were unbelievable. That documentary is outstanding. Everyone should watch that.

Interesting - and sad - watching one of the families being interviewed earlier, saying that they just wanted to move on now. I wonder if that is a sentiment being shared by other families.

30 years is a long time, it's been a long fight, and many are old and weary now from it all.

This particular family said they could live with what they'd done to fight for their son/brother. They don't now and wouldn't in the future have any more guilt over not pursuing it further.

No idea how the euro draw works but it’s created a group with Germany, France and Portugal all together :rotfl:

No idea how the euro draw works but it’s created a group with Germany, France and Portugal all together :rotfl:

If England win their group they’ll play the runner up out of that lot!

Pet hate - teams being drawn together in both qualifiers and the main tournament, England/Czech Republic, Spain/Sweden in this case.

England should really be getting quite far in this tournament with home advantage.

Gonna have to get in there early and book my holidays for those tasty group F games!

If England win their group they’ll play the runner up out of that lot!

Pet hate - teams being drawn together in both qualifiers and the main tournament, England/Czech Republic, Spain/Sweden in this case.
Quiet agree one of the stipulation of the draw should be to keep each group clear of replicating the qualifying groups.. surely it's not difficult to do that ... About the group F as there are 24 teams in the group stage and then to 16 there will be the chance of all 3 going to the knockout stages.

England should really be getting quite far in this tournament with home advantage.

Gonna have to get in there early and book my holidays for those tasty group F games!

Not sure but I think the last 16 and quarters will be at a neutral ground - the semis and final are at Wembley

Not sure but I think the last 16 and quarters will be at a neutral ground - the semis and final are at Wembley
Yep if we get out of the group we are on the road for rnd 16 and 8 if we get that far.

Kinda feels like that snuck under the radar a little bit. I only found out the final was at Wembley the other day. Haven't really made much a deal of it really. Thought it would be bigger news

I’ve got tickets for Denmark v Belgium in Copenhagen. That should be good !!

That is truly awful.

Can words sum up how unfair this world is ..a 2 year old losses her life .. what must the Afobe's be going through it is too much to bear.. puts life into perspective.. Tragic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom