The general football chat thread

Jason Cundy - is that really the right letter in his surname?

so how good is the swear filter? [emoji4]

Just to get this thread going .... maybe I can put a bit of fuel on the fire .....

Ok ... I'm a newbie around here and a dyslexic Aspie ( Aspergers ) and kinda struggle with social interaction in general but also online ... as will become apparent . Spelling ok , grammar poor , shockingly bad memory , an obsessive perfectionist ( bad mix ) and that's just for starters .. kinda thin- skinned ... There's an Aspie very close to you now but you probably don't realise their issues and problems as we hide or conceal difficulties from others and just get in with life as best we can .

That said there are advantages but that's another story ... I wouldn't change anything about myself apart from maybe getting a working memory :)

My first team I really obsessed about was Chelsea !!

So quickly ..

Used to watch Bury as a kid with parents ... 1970 came and the whole country seemed to become obsessed with the FA Cup final with Chelsea and Leeds United . .... Our school playground in Lancashire was split down the middle - you had a gang for Leeds and the others for Chelsea . I chose Chelsea as the song Blue is the Colour was top of the charts and I liked the colour BLUE !!

Anyways .. I became obsessed with Chelsea and they remained my ENGLISH team for years ...

I became fixated with Barca in the early 70's from more or less the day my favourite player Johann Cruyff (spelling ) joined them and I've followed them through good times to bad times and back to good times every since ...

So I the 70's everytime Chelsea visited a northern team in the league or cup we went to see them quite a few times at Burnley when Burnley were top of the first division and flying ... also saw them in a cup match in my hometown of Bury !!!

I will never forget watching my idol Peter Osgood practising his shooting before the game .... he was leathering the ball constantly into the net from distance . They were rocket powered shots and I had a great seat on the half way line and could appreciate how accurate they were . Especially compared to the kick and run stuff Bury played at the time .

Soon Liverpool kinda took over as my ENGLISH team when they were playing marvellous football - it's never been about winning for me but the results just came with their dominance ...since Arsene took over I've sort of enjoyed watching Arsenal more than anyone else but I'll always have a soft spot for Liverpool.

I never really got into the United thing at all ... they won everything for two decades BUT they had so many players I didn't like ...Keane , But , Ince , Gary Neville etc etc - I didn't even care for Cantona ( much preferred Ginola) .
I can't explain it really but I never really liked their win at all costs mentality ..

My love of Chelsea over the years as also wained due to the numerous battles with my beloved Barca ... always hated Ivanovic and disliked Jose then Jose went to Real Madrid for three long years and I grew to hate him ( and Pepe) .

Always loved Ibra ..... best day was when he joined Barca worst day was when he left !!!

Imagine the turmoil when Jose joins ManU and then Ibra joins them as well !!!!

Sorry for waffling .... At least some of my critics may understand where I'm coming from ...

Of all the players you could dislike, why Ivanovic???

Sorry for waffling .... At least some of my critics may understand where I'm coming from ...

So in summary, you support whoever is doing well at any given time, except for Utd, who you now like because of their big money players.

For all his defensive qualities I just see / saw a cynical thuggish player , Pepe is / was worse saying all that .

For example I will always remember how Aston Villa's Maloney skipped past Ivanovic on the half way line then passed the ball but Ivanovic followed him and belted him in the back the lad dropped like a brick in agony . Sorry there's no place in football for that kind of thing or the perpetrators .

Oddly enough I saw that clip on uTube a few days ago ..

So in summary, you support whoever is doing well at any given time, except for Utd, who you now like because of their big money players.

Yeah , perfect summary and one I expected tbh .

Guess you missed the part where I just explained that I hated ManUnited for their two decades of dominance and followed Arsenal for the last 20 years where they've basically won diddly- squat ???

Same applies wanting Southampton to do well whilst Matt Le Tissier was there .... is that also glory - seeking ??

Pretty sure I also said that it was never about winning as well ..

By your reckoning I was glory seeker whilst Liverpool dominated but not a glory seeker since they stopped winning ??

Where does that leave me ?? ;)

Last edited:
I don't get why people call me and others simply like attractive football glory hunters !!??

Many of my idols over the years won very little ( Le Tiss for example ) .

I've listed all the players I've loved watching in the PL over the years elsewhere but they include ... Georgie Best , Peter Osgood , Charlie Cooke, Tony Currie , Stan Bowles , Mattl Le Tissier , David Ginola , Gazza , Chris Waddle and my favourite English player Glen Hoddle.

World footballers .... The names that come to my mind in no particular order include Zico , Robert Prosinecki , Rivaldo , Romario and of course the GENUINE Ronaldo :)

I'm sure I've missed many , many more but as I said I've got a dodgy memory ..
Current favourite player in World football Ibra and has been for some time as well ..

Favourite footballer EVER will always be Zidane ...

Big money ... Ibra cost NOWT mate...

Ibra , Mikitarian and Pogba are all flair players , that's what I like .

Last edited:
Strange to pick out Ivanovic. Very strange.
He is one of the more no frills, no drama, hardworking type.
His name used to be one of the first ones to be put in the team sheet.
So @Zincubus' opinion of him is wrong IMO

Strange to pick out Ivanovic. Very strange.
He is one of the more no frills, no drama, hardworking type.
His name used to be one of the first ones to be put in the team sheet.
So @Zincubus' opinion of him is wrong IMO

I admitted he had great defensive qualities .

You're saying he wasn't cynical ??

Even after the example given ( one of many ) .

It's all about opinion .

Pepe had similar qualities and great ability on the ball and I'm sure he's idolised by the Madrid fans but he's simply hated my many others.

It's all about opinion .

In most places yes it is about opinons, round here you can't beat the power of the blinkers mate. That trumps everything else..

I admitted he had great defensive qualities .

It's all about opinion .

Pepe had similar qualities and great ability on the ball and I'm sure he's idolised by the Madrid fans but he's simply hated my many others.
Of course it's about opinion.
My opinion is also that. Don't take everything so seriously.
We all have players both in our own team and in others that we don't like, respect, value etc..
My point being you picked a player who normally works hard, fair and keeps himself out of the limelight. That's a little surprising that's all. :thumbsup:

Of course it's about opinion.
My opinion is also that. Don't take everything so seriously.
We all have players both in our own team and in others that we don't like, respect, value etc..
My point being you picked a player who normally works hard, fair and keeps himself out of the limelight. That's a little surprising that's all. :thumbsup:

He just stood out for me whenever I saw him play he'd always 'leave something' on his opponent in a tackle , he'd deliberately block people off , I've seen him kick so many people ( and they stayed kicked ) ....

Just wouldn't anyone like him or Pepe in Barca and they've not had any hatchet men in recent history , anyways.

In most places yes it is about opinons, round here you can't beat the power of the blinkers mate. That trumps everything else..
Yep, we are so blinkered... :rolleyes:

Yep, we are so blinkered... :rolleyes:

You talking for everyone now ? :rotfl:

You have to admit there are those on here that will not say a bad word about anything their team or players do. Such as Costas amateur dramatics the other night, most supporters would be embarrassed if that was one of their players and say as much. Other supporters conveniently glaze over that and talk about Hazards perceived rough treatment. Just one example.

Guess you missed the part where I just explained that I hated ManUnited for their two decades of dominance and followed Arsenal for the last 20 years where they've basically won diddly- squat ???

Same applies wanting Southampton to do well whilst Matt Le Tissier was there .... is that also glory - seeking ??

Pretty sure I also said that it was never about winning as well ..

By your reckoning I was glory seeker whilst Liverpool dominated but not a glory seeker since they stopped winning ??

Where does that leave me ?? ;)

I understand that it would be inconceivable to think of a Liverpool supporter from their glory days switching to Utd when they took over, so I see why you chose Arsenal as they came back to prominence.

I don't get why people call me and others simply like attractive football glory hunters !!??

Many of my idols over the years won very little ( Le Tiss for example ) .

I've listed all the players I've loved watching in the PL over the years elsewhere but they include ... Georgie Best , Peter Osgood , Charlie Cooke, Tony Currie , Stan Bowles , Mattl Le Tissier , David Ginola , Gazza , Chris Waddle and my favourite English player Glen Hoddle.

World footballers .... The names that come to my mind in no particular order include Zico , Robert Prosinecki , Rivaldo , Romario and of course the GENUINE Ronaldo :)

I'm sure I've missed many , many more but as I said I've got a dodgy memory ..
Current favourite player in World football Ibra and has been for some time as well ..

Favourite footballer EVER will always be Zidane ...

I doubt there's a football fan alive who doesn't admire all of those players you've listed.

Big money ... Ibra cost NOWT mate...

Ibra , Mikitarian and Pogba are all flair players , that's what I like .

So Ibra plays for free now does he? Big money in his case relates to his wage that very few teams could match.
I could claim that Kane, Eriksen and Alli as a combination have been much better to watch than the Utd trio, so why not support Spurs?

I guess it all comes down to the fact that I don't understand anyone (not you in particular) who is not passionate about 1 team. At least you like football though. Men who don't even like the sport I understand even less.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom