The general football chat thread

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
Certainly lived a legendary life on and off the pitch, remember reading a story about him and the mafia a while back.

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
He had his 'issues', but the man has passed away, if you don't care then fine, but keep ya insensitive comments to yourself.

Don Rogers Tash

So he’s a cheat based on one handball? Try watching the games this weekend you’ll see a lot worse.
So you don't think he was on drugs during his playing career?
Look at his eyes in his celebration when he scored v Greece in '94.
Like I said, not only a cheat but also a drug cheat.

Fergal82

Distinguished Member
Is it true maradona was Sergio Agueros godfather and father in law? Small world!

We were chatting earlier about all the pretenders to his throne that came and went.

Pablo Aimar, Ariel Ortega, Riqueleme, all built up as the next maradona but none even came close (other than that little fella)

Miss Mandy

I don't know about godfather, but he was definitely Aguero's father in law. Aguero was married to his daughter for a few years.

Obviously Maradona had his flaws as everyone does, but he was a supreme talent and one of the greatest I've ever seen. It's a shame his reputation will forever be tarnished by the handball, but he's no worse than others are or have been and it shouldn't detract from his achievements in the sport.

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
Agreed. And also shouldn’t be disrespected on the day of his death with stupid comments.

plenty of people have their flaws

Dony

Distinguished Member
I don't know about godfather, but he was definitely Aguero's father in law. Aguero was married to his daughter for a few years.

Obviously Maradona had his flaws as everyone does, but he was a supreme talent and one of the greatest I've ever seen. It's a shame his reputation will forever be tarnished by the handball, but he's no worse than others are or have been and it shouldn't detract from his achievements in the sport.

Only in England. In other countries the Hand of God is only part of his story. Watching the BBC news earlier it was the main part. Thankfully I also had RTE to watch for a more unbiased view of his absolute genius.

This was the commentary of the second goal by the great Jimmy Magee of RTE Sport.

Last edited:

Miss Mandy

Only in England. In other countries the Hand of God is only part of his story. Watching the BBC news earlier it was the main part. Thankfully I also had RTE to watch for a more unbiased view of his absolute genius.

A very valid point. The rest of the world probably share a less biased view of him as they don't carry the emotional baggage many England fans have from that goal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett