The Gaming HTPC Thread (Part 2 with updated info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I think I will just stick with the one GTX 460 then. :smashin:

You have also persuaded me to spend more money and stay with the 2500K as if I do get involed in gaming then I am now I will most likely overclock it and from what I hear it overclocks extremely well.

Still about confused about which motherboard to go for, I have narrowed it down to the P8P67 but don't know which version to go for, there is the standard version, pro and deluxe and apart from the 1928 Marvell controller you mentioned earlier on the deluxe, I can't see a difference between them. :rolleyes:

If your sticking to one card then the evo will be fine if your budget is limited. The difference between different mobos is in the amount of usb, sata, fan and pci-e ports. Better mobos also have better capacitors which allow for higher overclocks and better chipset cooling.

But I build PC's now instead of 'Airfix' LOL

Quote of the day. :D

Trying to get 92mm Gentle Typhoons is a nightmare at the moment. I've looked up the ratings for the fans you get bundled with the Noctua cooler, and they seem to get decent reviews as standalone items. I might take a gamble on relying on them - what do you think lads?

EVGA GTX 570 is out everywhere as well. Going to be over a fortnight... *sobs*

Nocuta fans are great and if I couldnt get a GT for my cpu cooler then I would be happy using a noctua fan as they are silent running and push a decent amount of air. The difference between the noctua and GT at full load on an overclocked rig at the same noise levels will only be at a guess 3-4c.

Finally ordered my last three components - graphics card, case and cooler - off BT. Prices were as good as anywhere else, better than most. Now I just need to sit back and wait [-]im[/-]patiently at the letterbox.

I hate waiting for bits to arrive. Like you I always end up ordering them on a Friday and have to wait till Monday before they turn up. :D

Oh and congrats on grabbing the final bits for the build. I cant wait to see what you think of it all mate. :smashin:

Last edited:
razor whats the difference between an OEM SB 2500k and a retail verison of same product besides the OEM not including a cooler?

I also went with the deluxe for my 2500k. From some of the research I did when ordering my system, it looks like the base model doesn't support SLI. Also the deluxe uses an intel network chipset while the pro and base model use realtek. I've read some big threads about the superiority of the intel chipset vs realtek.

razor whats the difference between an OEM SB 2500k and a retail verison of same product besides the OEM not including a cooler?

1 year warranty on the OEM vs 3 year warrant on the retail version.

I also went with the deluxe for my 2500k. From some of the research I did when ordering my system, it looks like the base model doesn't support SLI. Also the deluxe uses an intel network chipset while the pro and base model use realtek. I've read some big threads about the superiority of the intel chipset vs realtek.

Congrats on the new purchase. :smashin:

I have answered the small text issue your are having. :)

BTW are you planning on cutting an 80mm hole as discussed? I really do thing you will run into temps issues with just one 80mm exhaust.

I have answered the small text issue your are having. :)

BTW are you planning on cutting an 80mm hole as discussed? I really do thing you will run into temps issues with just one 80mm exhaust.

I had (still have) a server with 3 spare Alaska quiet 80mm fans, I plan to replace the noisy fans in the Silverstone PSU, untill I get round to ordering a replacement PSU and then add one more to the Case :)

Once again thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Also I have read somewhere that the OCZ SSHD and the storage Hard Drives may need firmware updates.... this is getting to be a full time job without pay :(

I had (still have) a server with 3 spare Alaska quiet 80mm fans, I plan to replace the noisy fans in the Silverstone PSU, untill I get round to ordering a replacement PSU and then add one more to the Case :)

Once again thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Also I have read somewhere that the OCZ SSHD and the storage Hard Drives may need firmware updates.... this is getting to be a full time job without pay :(

No worries on the help mate. :)

You can flash the firmware on your ssd to the latest. It probably already has the latest firmware alread on it. Check the ocz site for more info on how to check and flash the firmware. Newer firmware for SSD's might give you a slight increase in performance, its not essential to do but seeing as your starting from scratch it cant hurt to check you have the latest firmware on your drive. :)

I know some one who was running two of these cards in a silverstone fortress 2 which is probably the best aircooled case you can buy and he said it was noisy. It was mainly due to one card running 15c hotter at load than the other. In the end he sold both cards and went for a single gtx580. Performance was decreased but so were noise levels.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a punt as noise is very subjective and your tolerances may be higher. But my gut felling is that it wont work silently or cool running in a htpc case on demanding games.

Hmm... well, maybe the smart thing to do is A) stop looking at comparison charts and B) just hang on to what I have for now and circle back around in a year or so and just buy whatever the latest and greatest video card is then.

This is a tricky game to play... I don't even have my shipment in yet and I'm already calculating my next upgrade.

The next gen nvidia cards are pegged for Q4 2011, expect the same for AMD's cards. These will be on a 28nm chip so expect a nice performance boost. :)

my resistor came yesterday and I am pleased to say that I can no longer hear the computer :thumbsup:

Thanks razor!

Ok, here's a really dumb question.

On the P8p67 deluxe, which pcie slot should i drop my video card in?

The specs state:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 [Black] (at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

Does it matter?

Ok, here's a really dumb question.

On the P8p67 deluxe, which pcie slot should i drop my video card in?

The specs state:

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 [Black] (at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1 and x4 devices)

Does it matter?
The top one (one nearest the CPU), I believe.

Great :)

Although I did all this research on RAM before I ordered, I didn't realize ASUS released an official "Approved Memory List". The RAM I ordered isn't on the list :( I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed and see if it works.

All motherboard manufacturers do it. You don't have to stick to it though, it's quite rare to have compatibility problems if it's of the right type etc.

I am looking to use WiFi on my HTPC and I am wondering what the best way to do this would be, either a WiFi Card, or USB dongle?

I think I would much prefer a card, but don't know which would be the best one, any suggestions please?

Thanks.

I don't know what wireless card is the best, but I am certain it would be way better than a USB dongle. I have a USB dongle on one computer and it's terribly slow. Our laptops are reasonable, but still slow.

I have 2 routers, a high power buffalo router and an asus router. Both routers have Tomato firmware and aftermarket antennas. I use the buffalo router as my main WAP and the asus is setup as an ethernet bridge next to my TV, so my PS3 and whatever laptop we have hooked up to the TV (soon to be my shiny new HTPC) gets plugged in to it with an ethernet cable. My throughput typically doubles when I go through the asus bridge vs built in laptop wireless.

That might be a little much for just wanting a wireless adapter, but it works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom