The Gaming HTPC Thread (Part 2 with updated info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor

Razor I figured out what the problem was!
It was a USB connection for the secondary screen on the case, for some reason it was slowing down ny games. Luckily I didn't reinstalled windows before finding this out!

Nice to hear you have it all sorted and thanks for posting what the issue was. :smashin:

I'm completely freaking out...

All my stuff came in and it's been so long since I've built a computer I feel completely overwhelmed. I don't know if I should use the little rubber mounts for the Noctua case fans, I don't know if I need to take out a drive bay to make room for my video card, the Noctua CPU cooler looks like you need an engineering degree to mount it, there's screws and boxes everywhere....

oh my...

I see you have already sorted this out. I tend to run as many cables under the mobo as possible as it helps with cable management. Just in case anyone else is stuck on this here is a link to one of my builds which shows what I mean.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/9339437-post76.html

This morning, I turned the TV on, moved the mouse, hit keys on the keyboard, and coudn't get the computer to do anything -- no picture. I hit power, hit reset, nothing. So I held power in and it seemed like it turned it off. I waited a few seconds and hit power again to turn it on and it said "Resuming windows" or "Waking up" or whatever it says after it's been put to sleep, so I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Sounds like power management. I disable this by going into control panel and selecting power and sound and then place my system on High performance. I also change my display settings to never power off and never go to sleep. :)

One thing that immediately struck me a superbly awesome was audio. I'm used to having a headphone jack -> RCA cable plugged into the laptop with tons of EMI and background noise. Now audio is, well, you get it.

Lots more configuration and playing to begin/continue tonight. Thanks to everybody who helped me put this together, especially Razor!

I love reading posts like these and I am very pleased to see that you are enjoying your new build. Please post up a few pics in this thread when you have some time. :smashin:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I feel your pain mate, I only started mine last night as well. Here's a useful tip: in your haste to put everything together, try to remember that your cooler hasn't yet been delivered so it's pointless screwing your motherboard into place. I was very proud of my progress last night until I realised what a numpty I'd been. :facepalm:
Bet that was funny for anyone watching

Is it okay to do this? Would definitely be a tidier solution.

The bit I am struggling with is the hundreds of tiny cables from the power/reset switch and the USB/firewire/audio ports at the front of the machine. I was knackered so wasn't really paying full attention and was going cross-eyed flipping between different manuals trying to find out how I was meant to plug them in, so gave up around 1.30am.
It's ok as long as you don't try and draw too much power from them. E.g. too many fans or a couple of ones with high power draw can damage the header.

The activity light and power cables can be a right pain. As pointed out the Asus Q-Connector helps.

balforth

I love reading posts like these and I am very pleased to see that you are enjoying your new build. Please post up a few pics in this thread when you have some time. :smashin:
Good times!

I neglected to order the CPU cooler fans you recommended, so I don't currently have any front intake fans. I already ordered them and they should be here soon. I suppose I'll take some pics of the current mess I have and then some "after" shots once I get it cleaned up. I'll strip everything back out and reroute my cables when I install the new fans. Thanks for the very useful tips :)

Also, I read a couple of sites that said the Noctua thermal paste was better than AS5, so I just used the paste the cooler came with. I hope that was an ok decision...

Also also, I think I know what my video problem is. I need to set my resolution back to 1920x1080, disable overscan on the video card, and ensure the TV is set up to do 1:1 pixel mapping.

Did I mention how blown away I am that this super heavy, mega computer equipment, bigger and more powerful than anything I've ever owned before, makes almost zero noise... just using the LNA adapters... not the ULNAs??????

Last edited:

balforth

mate if i can do it, you certainly can. the cooler looks overwhelming, but take your time with it and read the instructions and it makes perfect sense.

I actually looked at the pictures in your thread several times while doing the build :) Not sure I would have figured out the Noctua CPU fan clips without your pics!

Razor

Good times!

I neglected to order the CPU cooler fans you recommended, so I don't currently have any front intake fans. I already ordered them and they should be here soon. I suppose I'll take some pics of the current mess I have and then some "after" shots once I get it cleaned up. I'll strip everything back out and reroute my cables when I install the new fans. Thanks for the very useful tips :)

Also, I read a couple of sites that said the Noctua thermal paste was better than AS5, so I just used the paste the cooler came with. I hope that was an ok decision...

Also also, I think I know what my video problem is. I need to set my resolution back to 1920x1080, disable overscan on the video card, and ensure the TV is set up to do 1:1 pixel mapping.

Did I mention how blown away I am that this super heavy, mega computer equipment, bigger and more powerful than anything I've ever owned before, makes almost zero noise... just using the LNA adapters... not the ULNAs??????

AS5 is a bit outdate these days and there are a fair few thermal pastes on the market that do a better job. My current favourite is Gelid Extreme.

As for the front fans monitor temps at load and post them up, you may find out that they are not needed.

I am pleased to read that your pc gives off almost zero noise, thats the way it should be if all is setup right. :smashin:

Razor

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom