1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Games Awards 2003

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by micksowner, Dec 1, 2003.

1. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Winners are as follows:

PS2 game: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    GameCube game: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Handheld game: Advance Wars 2
    Xbox game: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    PC game: CM4
    Online game: Battlefield 1942
    MTV film to game: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    Best of British: CM4
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Retailer: GAME
    Hardware: GameBoy Advance SP
    Unsung hero game: Viewtiful Joe
    Editor's game award: Pro Evolution Soccer 3
    Most wanted for Xmas: Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
    Most anticipated for 2004: Half-Life 2
    Ultimate game 2003: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

2. Zapp.Brannigan

Zapp.Brannigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I cannot speak for the other platforms, but GTA Vice City is the best PS2 game I've played. :smashin:

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Yeah I'll go with that

4. PLASTICTAFF

PLASTICTAFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be just me but i prefered GTAIII to Vice City!
    No doubt the game is bigger,can go in buildings,more detailed graphics,more vehicles...but i dont think all that made it a better game.
    I think they sacrificed on the gameplay.
    My biggest gripe was that the playing area was more detailed but smaller in contrast to GTAIII.
    The game became less of a burn around the streets willy nilly in a coach or a tank running over anyone thats not quick enough to leg it,or trying to evade the dozen cops bent on your destruction by doing donuts in the amply wide playing area,to a fiddly driving game.
    The freedom of the massively wide streets went.There's too much....clutter!
    Its a bit like Tekken 3.
    Tekken Tag and Tekken 4 had better graphics faster moves and all round looked more spinky but Tekken 3 is still a better game!
    No doubt i've let myself open for all sorts of abuse,like...i dont know what i'm talking about or the game was too hard for me,blah,blah
    But what you got to remember is its my opinion and opinions cant be wrong ;)

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No i totally agree with all of that.

Further to what you said about vice city having a bigger play area, my problem with that was that most of it was water, so you barely used it. GTA3 certainly felt a lot bigger

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Nope fully disagree to PS2 winner - GTA3 & vice city were ok but once you got bored of running people over or going around shooting people the game was just a dull "mission based" affair. They were probably the best games in their field but they were generally dull games. Pro evo 3 was my fave game of 2003 on the PS2 with beyond good & evil, prince of persia and Need for Speed underground coming in just after. The best PC game was Call of duty IMO, a fantastic 1 player game (fairly short but very memorable) and a great multiplayer for longevity. Other formats I don't bother with so I have no opinion.

7. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Last year was ok for games, but not much more. A lot of franchise updates, a lot of delays and a fair few disappointments.

Agree with the Pro Evo 3 acolytes. It is truly outstanding. If you like football you need it like you need air. Whoever is responsible for the gameplay AI should be shortlisted for the Nobel Prize for Science.
    Interesting how Xbox publications and other Xbox sources constantly rumour-monger that PES3 will come to the big black slab, no doubt fuelled by the defection of GTA. A lot of thinly disguised jealousy methinks.....

I'm not console biased. Ive got a PS2 and GC and would like an Xbox sometime soon. They've all got quality titles and they've all got shameful dross (usually film-licenses).

So my choices, taken across all platforms.
    Metroid Prime - best single player game. A work of art and a fantastic challenge.
    PES3 - if you like football.
    F-Zero GX - best multiplayer (although not as good as 2002's Timesplitters 2 - still the best next-gen console multi-player game).

:)