• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Game HD-DVD

Jakeh1969

I was a little disappointed with the picture quality and almost complete lack of extras but I'm glad the film is in my high def collection.

With any luck a special edition will come along at some point. :lease:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
It wasn't great... but then I wasn't too impressed with 'Payback Straight Up' either, which HD Digest does rate highly..... :(

Both actual movies are good however :smashin: And I had neither on SD.

If you want a funny film with decent PQ get 'Feast' which as I'm sure it had the lowest budget by far is odd ? ? Although I didn't think you had a HD-DVD player Jim? :rolleyes:

Jim Morrison

It wasn't great... but then I wasn't too impressed with 'Payback Straight Up' either, which HD Digest does rate highly..... :(

Both actual movies are good however :smashin: And I had neither on SD.

If you want a funny film with decent PQ get 'Feast' which as I'm sure it had the lowest budget by far is odd ? ? Although I didn't think you had a HD-DVD player Jim? :rolleyes:

I don't, although being a Fincher fan, 'The Game' is one of a few exclusive HD titles i'd got on my 'must have in HD list', a list that collectively might tempt me to dip my toe into the HD-DVD pond. It's rather disappointing to read that they've made a hash of this!

As for Payback, whilst the film's colour palette isn't one of those that lends itself to the 'pop' effect and there's quite a bit of grain, it still looked incredibly crisp and detailed throughout imo - certainly one of my better BD discs! :confused:

Seth Gecko

retired member
I've spun it up and watched the first 10 minutes or so, but don't think it's as bad as they made out. I do have pretty much every incarnation of the movie (LD, Criterion LD, DVD and now HD).

Put it this way - I watched Layer Cake at the weekend on Blu-Ray. I don't visit other review sites as a rule of thumb, but The Game seems better as LC has some really bad artifacts in the night-time scenes. I've no idea what anyone else has said re LC, but that's my take on it (as they're the last 2 HD discs I've spun).

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Put it this way.... they are still HD and still look great on the PJ and despite the possible lack of great PQ, I'd still rather watch either of those two than Hulk! :D

hottstuff

Banned
Agreed , most of the reviews of titles on the digest , i haven't agreed with when i watched the disc itself.
The display will also have a lot to do with their analysis.:D

MJeeves

I was also disappointed with the picture quality and extras. Maybe Universal will do a better job when the UK HD-DVD is released ?

Remember HD-DVD is NOT region coded.

moody41

haven't seen the hd version of this but the sd-dvd was an absolute stinker so I'm assuming it may just be the source material isn't very good.

7hil

I watched this tonight. Yep, it's no a demo disc to spin to your mates but then again it wasn't the "stinker" that some describe it as. The film is dark almost all the time and this doesn't help. I'm still glad with my HD-DVD purchase. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom