The Gadget show

bowenjones

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Heads up for this showing on Five now. It includes a section on home cinema surround systems.

channel 5 adds another star to its excellence :)

Just watched it - didn't see any home cinema bit (or did I miss it while fast forwarding?), it was mostly about Google and SatNav systems.

John

oxygenuk said:
channel 5 adds another star to its excellence :)
Exactly. I taped it when I read the sky prog. planner only to find out that it was wrong. Sorry for the misguided info guys :mad:

I was going to tape the repeat tonight thinking I had just missed it, ah well. :(

I seen the section last week on TV's plasma, LCD, normal (you can tell I dont know anything about plasma etc) I found it funny when they said the Tiny plasma was rubbish (not surprising as I dont rate Tiny as a company and a lot of people on the forum seem to have problems with them) and was surprised when they said the panasonic £280 old tube type tv had better picture quality than the £1,000+ ones

last nights gadget show wasnt very good. Usually excellent though. I dont take their tests too seriously but its good for seeing new technologies and Suzi Perry is fantastic!

markymark34 said:
last nights gadget show wasnt very good. Usually excellent though. I dont take their tests too seriously but its good for seeing new technologies and Suzi Perry is fantastic!

You can say that again! Their tests are a joke really.

According to Sky Guide :rolleyes: the feature on surround sound will be on this evenings show at 7.30pm.

From the official Five site:

This week Jason Bradbury is looking at surround sound. Well, listening to it actually. He visits the inventors of 'Dolby' surround sound and picks up a few tips on how to make a system sound even better. So do you really need a £30,000, Tag MacLaren set-up, or can a £300 'virtual surround' two-speaker system deliver the same effect? Jason acts as guinea pig to find out.

If the result were correct, I'm glad I haven't spent 30K on a Tag/B&W system...

John

I'd really be interested to know if anyone who purchased a high-end system like the TAG....actually did a blind test, similar to TGS.

Or is the justification for a high-end system like that....purely for bragging rights down the pub???

I feel sorry for the individual who cant tell difference between a high and low end piece of kit blind.
Perhaps they should get someone on the show who CAN tell the difference or someone who can set it up right. :D
The difference between my old sony 930 and my arcam av8/p7 was night and day

They've got to be joking or the whole thing was abysmally set up if he could barely tell between the Denon Virtual surround and £30k's worth of TMA stuff.

Mind you the whole show was pretty rubbish anyway.

"It doesn't matter at all where you put your sub" Really? :rotfl:

If you actually watched the show, he DID correctly identify the TAG, it was the other two he got wrong which is interesting for the average, i.e. non-£30k-buying public.

It was also interesting how little difference he could detect between all three systems which must make the big spenders question their motives as suggested above.

The systems were all set up by a Dolby engineer to play at the same sound level and I doubt they placed the speakers any more wrongly or rightly than any slightly more-knowledgeable-than-average punter.

Biggest conclusion was that the Denon virtual surround system is more than a match for a cheapo 5.1 system which will delight housewives everywhere!

I haven't heared a good quality virtual surround system so I can't comment on the merits of the Denon but i'm still a little sceptical about the favourable review the presenter gave it. Could the fact that Denon provided the system as a competition prize have had any bearing on his results? ;)

I once heard a demo of virtual surround on Tomorrows World and I did not think it was that great although they raved about it.

Missed the programme, was the denon virtual surround the same type of thing they put on their dvd players? or was it virtual in a 'speaker bouncing sound off the side walls' in a Kef (I think it is kef who do this) sort of way?

I have virtual surround on my Denon dvd player - which as it happens is connected into an Audiolab amp (later bought out by TMA), so I've the best of both worlds ! :rotfl:

huwg said:
I have virtual surround on my Denon dvd player - which as it happens is connected into an Audiolab amp (later bought out by TMA), so I've the best of both worlds ! :rotfl:
Audiolab used with a Denon 1905 :cool: :D

huwg said:
Missed the programme, was the denon virtual surround the same type of thing they put on their dvd players? or was it virtual in a 'speaker bouncing sound off the side walls' in a Kef (I think it is kef who do this) sort of way?

This was the Denon that was featured....http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3606

Did you see what material they were using as reference? A trailer for "Stomp"?

Also, I'm sure I heard the presenter say that the show was recorded in "dolby surround" do they mean 5.1 or pro-logic or something else?

Not a great programme, but its a start....

i thought the whole test was a joke. the demo material they used was awful - why oh why didn't they ask us! we could have given that TAG setup something to worry about!

but to be fair it wasn't really aimed at most of us was it. (dont put those rears in the corner! you can put a sub anywhere :rotfl: )

gary

Incidently the "Stomp" trailer is the new Dolby trailer - you should start seeing it in cinema's soon.

Missed it last night :( is this show repeated?

It is repeated later on the same night at 11.50.
Which is good if you are out that nigh you can miss it twice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom