The Gadget Show - gets a face lift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting. I've kept subscribed to this thread but haven't watched an episode for ages as it wasn't worth watching in my view. I'd be interested to know if others are feeling that it's back to form again :)

Not really. I still find myself fast forwarding most parts.

Yes, I can't think of another show I watch that so regularly gets FF'ed through quite so much.

Regards

Mark

I'm back to watching pretty much all the episode again now. I only ff through the competition as they seem a total waste. I have no interest in half the stuff Jon Bentley reviews, but just find him enthralling to watch.

Of course, the main reason it is back on form to me, lack of Dallas whatshisface. Ortis is much better in my opinion. It is a shame Jason isn't doing some of the bigger challenges though. I think him against Suzi in the wireless/wired one, would have been better viewing.

I just wish they wouldn't blatantly fix some of the challenges with ridiculous scenarios. For example, Suzi paying for food on the train and then realising she couldn't use the wireless ticket machine. I mean come on, she doesn't even carry 10 quid in her purse? Did she really only have enough cash for a phone call and the subsequent taxi ride and the run out of money?

Jon Bently is like a younger Donald Sindon with the plumy voice and Magnus Pike with the arms waving about !...it does'nt really matter what he is reviewing it's his style which is unique...should have his own show :thumbsup:

Im fast forwarding through a lot more of it these days. Its trying to become the top gear for gadgets and failing.
Very little info in each episode now. What was the wired vrs wireless thing all about that took up half the show.
John Bentleys bits are the only real gadget testing bits and i wonder how many people watching the show will ever own an oven at £1400?

If they got rid of at least two of the presenters, the film effect and the stupid "challenges", they might have the basis for a decent programme.

I haven't even bothered to give the new series a try. I'm sure it will be similar to the previous efforts.

Im fast forwarding through a lot more of it these days. Its trying to become the top gear for gadgets and failing.

That's so true. I'd prefer it if they made it a bit less 'wacky' and reviewed some every day gadgets each week - top 5 LCDs, blenders, kettles….whatever, as long as it's stuff we'd actually buy!

I always tape this now so I can forward through most of it

That's so true. I'd prefer it if they made it a bit less 'wacky' and reviewed some every day gadgets each week - top 5 LCDs, blenders, kettles….whatever, as long as it's stuff we'd actually buy!

I always tape this now so I can forward through most of it

Another here who doesn't watch it any more.

I find the baldy presenter just TOO irritating.

But I also agree about it trying to take the Top Gear route, when many people would love them to just tell us which is the best Plasma under £1000 worth buying, best MP3 player etc etc. Remember Top Gear used to review normal cars like Ford Mondeo's et al, now next to nothing like this. Just silly challenges and useless scripts and jokes.

I have been watching this show since it started and it has definitely gotten better. The mix of presenters is pretty much spot on I even used to hate Jon Bently but even he is starting to grow on me (a bit!). Still glad he only does a bit as I think he could be really annoying for any more!

The content is up and down, sometimes good sometimes pointless. I guess it depends on the subject matter and if it is of interest to you.

Not sure what has happened to Suzi but she always seemed like a bird on the turn but this series she looks much better and I find myself having bad thoughts about her!:devil:

The only thing I am not keen on is that they seem to have told Jason and Suzi to 'sauce' things up a bit as he seems to be making quite a few sexual type comments. Feels a little like incest to me and I hope they bin it soon!

I've found that is getting a bit too annoying now, I had to turn this weeks one off. I think they need to make the programme into a half hour show and cut most of the drivel. The challenge this week was just stupid...not using the underground as you can't use wireless tech so no oyster card?! How about cash or card? The electric car that would no way make it to the destination. The other chap stopping for food halfway to the lighthouse? Mobile phone running out of battery...err stop answering it then! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

For people who do like Dallas he is doing another show on BBC 1 called bang on mondays 7.30 PM.

I've found that is getting a bit too annoying now, I had to turn this weeks one off. I think they need to make the programme into a half hour show and cut most of the drivel. The challenge this week was just stupid...not using the underground as you can't use wireless tech so no oyster card?! How about cash or card? The electric car that would no way make it to the destination. The other chap stopping for food halfway to the lighthouse? Mobile phone running out of battery...err stop answering it then! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Yes, it's almost as if it's not a real challenge but just a bit of gadget themed light entertainment......

:rotfl:

Yes, it's almost as if it's not a real challenge but just a bit of gadget themed light entertainment......

:rotfl:

If it was actually entertaining then fair enough, but when you are rolling your eyes every other minute at what was happenning/being said then it fails at this too.

If it was actually entertaining then fair enough, but when you are rolling your eyes every other minute at what was happenning/being said then it fails at this too.

True - they need to find a better way of 'framing' this sort of stuff. Presenting it as a challenge just isn't working.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a proper feature on the Lambo, or the hovercraft, or the electric Smart.

Daft challenges aside I enjoy watching it. Would be nice to see more reviews of stuff however i suppose the website does a lot of that.

I remember the old days when it was rather more 'quirky' for want of a better word

The style is certainly more "focussed" now - first ep I have watched in 2 years. Hmm

But I also agree about it trying to take the Top Gear route, when many people would love them to just tell us which is the best Plasma under £1000 worth buying, best MP3 player etc etc. Remember Top Gear used to review normal cars like Ford Mondeo's et al, now next to nothing like this. Just silly challenges and useless scripts and jokes.

Try getting a magazine like Stuff/T3 and for cars What car or for that matter have a look at The Gadget Show web site that does listings. This is often boring to watch if it took up a lot of screen time. Do you think people would watch an hour of listings?

And that is of course exactly what it is.

It is to gadgets what Top Gear is to cars. Both are merely entertainment shows with a theme.

The difference of course is that Top Gear is actually entertaining.

I watch TG to be entertained ... and am.

I watch TGS in the hope of learning something about gadgets ... and am disappointed.

I'm not against TGS being pure entertainment - but it just isn't funny enough. Jason tries to be a teenager/twentysomething ... but the truth is that he has turned 40. He really should act his age. Jon Bentley seems to think that he is in some other (much better) gadget programme. The two styles just don't sit well in the same show. I would rather see a separate 30 minute show with Jon Bentley actually doing sensible reviews and tests.

Regards

And that is of course exactly what it is.

It is to gadgets what Top Gear is to cars. Both are merely entertainment shows with a theme.

The difference of course is that Top Gear is actually entertaining.

I watch TG to be entertained ... and am.

I watch TGS in the hope of learning something about gadgets ... and am disappointed.

I'm not against TGS being pure entertainment - but it just isn't funny enough. Jason tries to be a teenager/twentysomething ... but the truth is that he has turned 40. He really should act his age. Jon Bentley seems to think that he is in some other (much better) gadget programme. The two styles just don't sit well in the same show. I would rather see a separate 30 minute show with Jon Bentley actually doing sensible reviews and tests.

Regards

They do act a lot younger but then most watching will be 20 somethings so they have been told to be a bit infintile perhaps ? Jason is a natural ecentric so very hard for him to be anything else I guess along with Jon who is very out there

So far to me the first 3 shows have been very entertaining I think it all gells well, I think had it been on any oither channel it would have died years ago at least FIve have stuck with it and now near enough year round, what other mainstream channel has this type of proig in othe countries I wonder ??

It probably would have died had it not been for the revenues generated from the competitions.

Thought this weeks show was much better :) oh, and i quite like the 'enthusiasm' the jason fella has

I have not been watching it. The last one that I watched had a radio controlled full sized car in it...... in a race. Quite good, but they already did the remote controlled car before. The show is dead for me now, they didn't listen to the forum, and now it might be too late.

The AVForums got a mention on tonight's show, whilst they were looking for bargain TV's.:thumbsup: Bit of a blink and you miss it moment though!

TGS for me is, 90% of the time, a total waste.

They do stupid tests of things that people have no interest in, yet fail to do the one thing that people want, which I'm sure if group tests/reviews of things like:

SkyHD
Plasmas/LCDs
Internet Radio
Games systems
etc
etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back