the gadget show 11.03.05

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by phetttt, Mar 12, 2005.

1. phetttt

phetttt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi folks,

watched the gadget show last night, their review of the mac mini was interesting, did anyone see it?

Many of the points were valid, but do you get microsoft office as standard with pcs? Also I thought you could buy a ps2 to usb connector for keyboards and mice.

When they reviewed the G5 against a beast of a pc, they used unreal as a benchmark amongst others, however they failed to mention that the graphics card was much more powerful in the pc. maybe they have anti-mac bias lol

most people i know who have used pcs are surprised when they use a mac

anyone agree/disagree??

2. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I never got Office when I bought PC's before I built them. Most nowdays come with Word and bits of the Works packages. Not the full blown Office software.

I used a mac about a year ago for the first and only time and the few hours I had on it were a nice surprise after what i'd been told. Not a horror story at all.

I like the gadget show but almost always forget it's on.

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    I thought the way they blind tested the vinyl; cd and mp3 was interesting. Surprised that vinyl came last! :eek: Would have liked to know exactly what they were using to demo the material.

4. Vorix

Vorix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    In this month's PC Pro they give it 5 out of 6 stars. It comes with 'AppleWorks' (I'd guess a MS Works type suite) with WP, SS, DB etc. Don't know how this compares with Office.
    BUT, the spec. they consider the minimum costs £589 inc. VAT, so it's horses for courses.
    I think the Gadget Show was a bit unfair, but I think they were only trying to make sure people aren't completely taken in by the current Apple lovefest that's going on elsewhere in the media.

5. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hi,damn i missed that show,i wanted to see it but red nose,so what was best sound cd,mp3,vinyl,personally, vinyl is best,no doubt,cd mp3 the same at 320,

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,946
    Their Mac Mini review seemed a bit unfair to me. There were a number of poor instances given (like using all the USB ports, where as standard you use one to plug in keyboard and the mouse plugs into that, leaving one free. Office vs free AppleWorks. etc), and they seemed to follow an upgrade path not suitable to their needs. Should have just bought a more powerful iMac from the start if thats what they wanted to do on it.

I also get a bit frustrated with their blind tests. Ok have the New Zealand band (big woo to the boys from home), but also have some actual test equipment in the room seeing if it can pick up a difference.

The program is odd, because some information they impart is so basic you wonder why they bother (except for Grandma that cant work a toaster), and other items they review are so techocratic only the most gadget loving nerd gets excited. Then they totally miss currently relevant things like the DS and PSP. I watch it because i'm one of those gadget loving nerds, but i dont think it's great TV overall.

7. Vorix

Vorix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think that the very fact it is on a 'mainstream' channel at all (well, I'm being a bit generous to Channel 5 there, I admit) is an interesting point to note. The consumer electronics economy is worth an absolute fortune these days, probably far more than gardening, for example. Yet compare the number of 'Ground Force' type programs available to the number of 'gadget' type shows. I say good on Channel 5 for realising that we don't all want to wonder when our carrots will be ready or when we should prune our roses.
    The downside is that, although the market is huge, most people's experience of it is what can be found piled high on the shelves of Dixons and Currys, hence the tone/substance of many of the items shown. The reality is that their audience will drop by 90% when they start discussing the intricacies of upscaling, MP3 sampling rates etc. I guess that's why places like AVForums exist :)

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well said vorix.