The future of PlayStation Subscription services

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Sony Subscription services have been around for 10 years, they offer gamers great value access to AAA, Indie and exclusive games and are most likely to offer the same great value into next gen. Sony currently offers (Annual RRP):

PS+ £49.99
  • Online play
  • At least 2 games added per month
  • All plus games added to your library remain accessible while subbed
  • Store discounts
  • Backup saves to cloud
PS5 Collection (include with PS+)
PS Now £49.99
  • 700+ games
  • Games added regular, some on a rotation basis
  • All PS4 and most PS2 games downloadable
  • All PS3 games are stream only
  • Online included for library games
  • Can also be streamed from PC
  • Games not accessible when not subbed
EA Access £19.99
  • Download PS4 supported games from the vault
  • Vault games are always accessible while subbed
  • EA game store discounts
Regular offers are available

How do you think these services will look going into the PS5 generation? Will they continue the same model, some kind of hybrid or an overhaul? How will primary console work across PS5 and PS4 given BC? I suspect the summer still has a lot of info to pump out, what would you want to see?

Last edited:

zt1903

Distinguished Member
I think they’ll combine PS+ and PS Now.

And PS Now will be extended to Smart TVs and more mobile devices.

Maybe something with enhanced remote play too.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
If they combine, I hope they keep the annual price model, it makes it real easy to source discounts..

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
* I placed a star by the Gamepass price, this came from Oldsnake, I'm no expert and the presentation the other night wasn't overly clear with what can be played when, where, how and at what price. What it did say is these 20 odd games are coming to its subscription service at some point over the next X years. I strongly suspect at least 20 games will be coming to PS+, PS Now or whatever Sony subs are available going forward in the same time span and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the odd game from that presentation also turned up on a Sony service at some point in the future..
The key aspect is they will all be available in Gamepass on the games launch day. You can't possibly equate that to an equal number of random games being available on a PS sub without like for ike context when it includes all in house titles. Unless Sony ever put their 1st party stuff in PSNow day one it'll never get considered in the same light. Obviously they've imprioved it over the years with downloads and more recently the price drop and some key games going in there, but correct me if i'm wrong, did the likes of GOW and Spiderman only go in for about 3 months then taken out again?? I don't see why they can't put their games in and leave them in there ongoing, if they aren't going to opt for day one, which i very much doubt they would anytime soon. Again that's another positive for GP is that the 1st party stuff not only goes in day one, but it remains there.

At the end of the day GP is a great option for Xbox, PC and soon to be Cloud users and hopefully the more success it has over the coming years it might force Sony's hand a little more to keep improving PSNow to make it more comparable, which is good for gamers. Competition in general is good obviously. I woud be happy enough if they dropped their 1st party games into a subscription service after 6 months for example. That would be enough for me to subscrbe to it as when it comes to SP games i'll normally wait until a sale if i fancy something anyway as no rush to play it like there may be with a MP game to rank up with others etc.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Day one will mean different things to different people, being day one is great, staying there is also great. Every game, including PS exclusives, remain in my PS+ subs and there's a lot. I see Dragon Quest is coming to Xbox, is it bad that its an old game? No, its a fantastic game, play it..

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
For me one of the best things about GP is being able to try stuff i may have heard good things about but wouldn't choose to buy, unless a deep sale maybe and even then quite possibly not, or just games that you'd normally completely overlook for whatever reason. In recent months i've enjoyed fantastic games ike Plagues tale, Deliver us the Moon and currently been playing Observation, another fantastic and unique game which i wouldn't have bought.

Another great thing, not for the subscribers but for the devs, is that their creations get far more traction, users, eyes on, discussion, word of mouth etc etc etc. Asobo for example, i'd never heard of them before first hearing about Plagues Tale. Having experienced that game and appreciating the clear brilliance they have within the team, I will for sure pay attention whenever i hear of their next project. For the smaller indie devs that's even more of a major factor for them. In fact a number of devs have come out and said since being in game pass their game sales have increased by huge percentages against expectation, which you'd not neccessarily asume would be the case as people can obviously just play via the sub without purchasing, but obviously the word gets around and those not on the sub might go out and buy something if they like whay they hear.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Yeah, exposure on PS+ is great for devs too. Was certainly a benefit I didn't realise for a while..

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I think Rocket League is thee prime example of how being on the subscription service can really explode your game.

I'd love a GamePass style sub on PS. The value in that is unreal. I can't speak highly enough of it and I'm a Sony man!

theprestige

I think online gaming should be free personally. But for those that want the extra bells and whistles of PS Plus, then yes, a charge makes sense. But for those who just simply want to online game occasionally...that should be separate. I don't think it would hinder Sony's finance.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I think online gaming should be free personally. But for those that want the extra bells and whistles of PS Plus, then yes, a charge makes sense. But for those who just simply want to online game occasionally...that should be separate. I don't think it would hinder Sony's finance.
There's a lot of speculation Xbox will soon make Live / online free as they've removed the 12 month sub option on their store. Would make sense especially given they're pushing the one ecosystem and yet PC players can play for free effectively. If that were to happen it would put some pressure on Sony by default, so there could be changes during the course of next gen.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I think Rocket League is thee prime example of how being on the subscription service can really explode your game.

I'd love a GamePass style sub on PS. The value in that is unreal. I can't speak highly enough of it and I'm a Sony man!
How much would you pay for it? I'm genuinely confused where game pass pricing is going. I'd also read xbox live is going free and that makes £7.99 even better value but makes ultimate useless aside from streaming.

But then I've read some of the games shown the other night may not be payable on some xbox hardware meaning ultimate would make up the shortfall via streaming. Suddenly Edit:£10.99 doesn't look as attractive.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
How much would you pay for it? I'm genuinely confused where game pass pricing is going. I'd also read xbox live is going free and that makes £7.99 even better value but makes ultimate useless aside from streaming.

But then I've read some of the games shown the other night may not be payable on some xbox hardware meaning ultimate would make up the shortfall via streaming. Suddenly £11.99 doesn't look as attractive.
Its £3.99 a month on my PC.

I think anything above 9.99 is going to be a no from me.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member

But then I've read some of the games shown the other night may not be payable on some xbox hardware meaning ultimate would make up the shortfall via streaming. Suddenly £11.99 doesn't look as attractive.
I think Xcloud going into GPU will be the trigger if anything for when Live goes free. They can't really do it prior given many people have subbed to Ultimate over std GP as it's GP and Live combined. If suddenly Live is free for all they may feel short changed if subbed for a long period still at GPU price, hence the drop of Xcloud would negate that somewhat. That said, they announced a while back it would be added to GPU for free so it's expected regardless, so it's a bit awkward.

If they make Online gaming free I think they may offer a small subscription option if people want to retain Games with Gold and if that's the case I expect that would be the Live element to remain as part of GP Ultimate.

King Tones

Distinguished Member

It's £10.99 a month and includes Live, GamesPass and PC. It will soon include Xcloud and it also includes deals and perks. I got 6 Months of Spotify Premium and another 3 months so far.

If they made Gold a thing of the past and no fee to play online which brings it in line with PC and Mobile then they could add more deals/discounts and free games plus Xcloud and Console streaming.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Also worth mentioning that the Gamepass discussion has always come around due to people knocking the Xbox and that they won't win or sell enough consoles or games aren't that great and people who play on both post some defence for Xbox and mention that all those games that are shown at their show can all be played for a small cost compared to a full cost game.

Xbox don't need to sell 100 million consoles they want 100 million Gamepass subscribers be it on Xbox, PC or Mobile.

It's great value and something lacking on PS imo.
If Sony went and did the same for 1st Party Games I would buy a PS Pro tomorrow and sign up without hesitation.

I think this is why it's mentioned as Xbox does offer great value for the 3rd party games and 1st party games. You can never own an Xbox and on Day 1 of Series X release you can spend let's say £449 and get a console and a months trial of Gamepass or maybe 3 months for a £1 and have access to 100+ games on launch day that could include 1st Party Games and Series X Exclusives.

Can you do that with PS5?

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the clarification, I've edited my post, but it's a little confusing, especially as Chalky has thrown £3.99 into the mix :D

And I'm sure PS Now will be supported at launch for PS5, that would bring 700 games at launch for a newcomer, but I've seen no confirmations about anything as yet..

I have no issue with any Series X banter, good natured discussion is healthy. And if xbox is my console of choice, Game pass is right on my radar, just like plus, now and EA Access is now..

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the clarification, I've edited my post, but it's a little confusing, especially as Chalky has thrown £3.99 into the mix :D
That's purely just for the games on PC and a limited time offer. I wouldn't need Ultimate.

1595702105844.png

I dont think Sony 1st party games would ever be on a gamepass style service on release day, their exclusives are what makes Playstation popluar and is at the heart of how its marketed. PSNow which was in part created to plug the lack of BC from PS3 to PS4 is not going to become similar to game pass. Dont get me wrong I would love it to do so and it may well evolve to be better than it is now, but MS are a service industry already, making gaming more of a service is in there current culture and they are going all out on that. Also MS's 2ndary status in the console space gives them leeway to move in a different direction as they have not got the same huge exclusives as Sony hence less to lose.

We shall see but I cannot see such a shift in Sonys approach unless GamePass is so successful that they have no choice, which I dont think is going to happen soon at least. They may get move closure to it though in time.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
If Sony made all the games on PS Now downloadable I would subscribe immediately, I have tried game streaming and it's not something I am interested in, at all.

I don't even want PS Plus (or MS Gold) in it's current form, I don't care about the free games, if there was a cheaper option for MP only and no games I would choose that.

OldSnake

Also worth mentioning that the Gamepass discussion has always come around due to people knocking the Xbox and that they won't win or sell enough consoles or games aren't that great and people who play on both post some defence for Xbox and mention that all those games that are shown at their show can all be played for a small cost compared to a full cost game.
Oh well. It does seem people who’ve knocked Gamepass, as you highlight here, might not have had the best idea of what it was they are actually knocking. Value Proposition wise.

i think chalky said and I agree with him - even as a Sony man you can’t argue with what Gamepass gives and the value.

I’ve got an X (PS4 then Pro until x came Out - 4K RDR2 😊) but now Gamepass sub pretty much runs That machine. An Xbox console (anyone depending on you pocket) and Gamepass and job done if your looking for value, depth and breadth of gaming options.

So many great games which I’m not forking out for, I’m. I longer just chugging the same game for the third play through or grinding for a Cheevo - there is always something new and good.

I probably would have spent 10 quid on Carrion, but it’s a gem. I wouldn’t have spent 20 quid on theme hospital (PSN) but it was a fantastic old school fun. I don’t think I’d pay 15 quid for Minecraft dungeons but me and the kids had 5 weeks of huge fun - got our eldest right into gear and loot 😊 she played on her little Xbox s using my Gamepass.
They are looking forward to grounded as they reckon it looks like honey I shrunk the kids in game form! I’m probs not buying that but it’s on Gamepass.

people say ‘no need for an Xbox as ill just get the games on my pc’ -yeah I think it’s clear MS are happy with that. Chalky playing on his PC and subbing to Gamepass - MS don’t need him to have a specific Xbox console device.

I’m a huge Sony spender this gen. Day one ps4. Day one pro. Second pro. Plus all the time. Used to be reg Now sub too. Every WWS game pretty much this gen. Sony has been my main console.
But Gamepass value and depth is unlike anything

I wasn't offering a defense of Xbox mind 👍🏻 It was just stuff that is happening but might or wasn’t well understood by people not up to date on a platform they don’t own. Which is fair enough.
Xbox don’t need me to defend them. Just like Sony didn’t when they got a pasting.

I recall playing Red Dead Redemption, it was amazing, yeah, I was a bit pants at taming horses and the like, but I persisted and was thoroughly blown away by the story telling and that final act. I played courtesy of PS+ back in 2012, I couldn't believe such a massive AAA classic was part of my instant game collection, which I still have access to courtesy of my PS3.

The PS5 thread often gets posts that divert the next gen hardware discussion to one about a software service that will not even be available on the PS5. The odd post is fine, but the umpteenth duplicate post imho is off topic at best, spam at worst. I recently opened the door again and @OldSnake duly obliged with 2 lengthy Game pass promotional posts that basically boil down to Day 1 and £7.99*, none of which was new information. But I agree the discussion is interesting and worth having.

I'm hoping this thread is a better place to discuss subscriptions and I'll offer a lengthy post of my own to highlight some context to why the PS5 thread shouldn't be bogged down on a regular basis to this topic. What follows is my experience of the PS ecosystem and everyone will have a different take, so skip to the TLDR; at the bottom for a shortcut to this thread if you don't want to hear about the history of PS subs services from my perspective.

I bought a PS+ subscription Autumn 2011, my kids wanted Plants v Zombies and it was something like £11.99. But I spotted an included with PS+ note and the instant collection was on offer for £20 for a years subs, I was a bit dubious, but I thought why not shell out the extra and see what a year brings me. This was before PS+ was required for online play, but since then I have played many critically acclaimed AAA titles, PlayStation exclusives, the cream of the indie crop and even PS One classics and I believe I still have access to each one now (I also have a Vita).

I'm currently enjoying Rise of the Tomb Raider and its by no means the only PS+ AAA title I have enjoyed over the last couple of years and I still have a back catalogue of subs games to explore. I've not paid more than £35 for a year subs and there were better deals in the past. Amazing value that rewards the loyal, looking at the catalogue of games I can play is astounding.

I game share PS+ with my lad, he gets the most use out of the online play and one of his favourites is Rocket League. That was released Day One on PS+ and is so good its still kicking around today and will go into next gen strong. It was not the only game to hit PS+ day one, especially in the early days of the PS4.

My lad is reasonably sensible when buying games, but he must get FIFA at time of release, I don't begrudge that because he'll play it all year and certainly gets his moneys worth. I recommended he get EA Access with discounted credit and buy FIFA digital with the EA Access discount, he got a great price and a years EA Access, which I game share too. Therefore I've played a bunch of great EA games this year for nowt, whether another years subs would get the same use I'm not sure. The catalogue doesn't hold many more games that interest me and that's the downside of any subs service, not every game suits everyone.

When I mention a subs service is off topic it may come across as I'm dissing it, I'm not, I know the value of subs services because I too have benefitted from AAA games, exclusives and indies I wouldn't normally experience and Sony have been offering these games on a subscription service from July 2010, exactly ten years ago! Yet people come into a next gen console thread talking about a subscription service as if its a concept never seen before.

This is where I'll mention PS Now, this subscription service has had some grief over the years, to the point I foolishly ignored it. But I recently took a look and it has over 700 titles, pretty much all PS4 and PS2 titles are downloadable and you can stream the rest. When I grabbed the PS+ deal I almost picked up the £35 deal for an annual PS Now sub so I could play the PS2 JRPGs I missed out on, but I didn't, why? I still have plenty of games to play, maybe I will on a future deal.

TLDR;

Sony Subscription services have been around for 10 years, they offer gamers great value access to AAA, Indie and exclusive games and are most likely to offer the same great value into next gen. Sony currently offers (Annual RRP):

PS+ £49.99, online play, at least 2 games added per month, store discount
PS Now £49.99, 700+ games, most PS4 and PS2 games downloadable, online included for library, can also be streamed from PC
EA Access £19.99, download PS4 supported games from the vault

Regular offers are available.

How do you think these services will look going into the PS5 generation? Will they continue the same model, some kind of hybrid or an overhaul? How will primary console work across PS5 and PS4 given BC? I suspect the summer still has a lot of info to pump out, what would you want to see?

* I placed a star by the Gamepass price, this came from Oldsnake, I'm no expert and the presentation the other night wasn't overly clear with what can be played when, where, how and at what price. What it did say is these 20 odd games are coming to its subscription service at some point over the next X years. I strongly suspect at least 20 games will be coming to PS+, PS Now or whatever Sony subs are available going forward in the same time span and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the odd game from that presentation also turned up on a Sony service at some point in the future..

I'm not unfamiliar with Gamepass, whenever my daughter subs, I take a look at the collection and always have several suggestions for her to play.
anyone still play on ps3? i cant afford a ps4

OldSnake

This was posted in the Xbox section and is probably good to have here. I’d recommend a read...from GameIndustry.biz

Total 👍🏻👍🏻 To OP inXbox section.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I've read that article, it glosses over Series X being pushed as the most powerful console and Sony edging into the PC arena, but I agree, console wars are trash. They always have been..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom