The future of CRT

R

rooo

I have been thinking about this myself for quite a while, and would be interested to hear peoples view on what the TV market could be like this time next year.

My personal view is that widescreens seem to have come down in price by about £200 in the last year or so, but with Plasma and LCD starting to trickle into the mainstream market, I reckon widescreens will come down by even more.

I am currently the owner of a 25" Sony 4:3 TV, and I'll be honest I love it. I will not be replacing it for about another year, and I believe that, in my price bracket (up to £1k) there could be more than CRT's to choose from.

What does everyone else think?

Given your statement and current prices - I don't think you'll get a 42" Plasma or LCD for 1K or under in a year.

Some plasmas a 2.5k now but they do not seem to get such good reviews as the others. I doubt very much if 2.5k will more than half in a year.

Seems to me most plasmas are £5k+ for good ones.

RP TVs may fall within your range but it depends what you are looking for.

My 2 gbp,
Matt.

Its common knowledge CRT have come to the end of there life. 36" is unfortunately the most they can get away with. Plasma and LCD are the future.

Of course it will take a few years for LCD and Plasmas to become mainstream and come down in price therefore, even in a years time for 1k you'll still be buying a CRT i'm afraid. Obviously you'll have more CRT's for under 1k to choose from.

Originally posted by Markster
36" is unfortunately the most they can get away with.
Loewe make a w/s TV with a 40" CRT.

I just bought my w/s TV a few months ago, so I know that by the time I come to replace it in 6 or 7 years time, that I'll definitely be getting an LCD as the prices should be pucker and the technology will have come much further. Don't fancy plasmas much as they have to be carefully maintained, mounted, etc.

Don't write off CRT just yet.
Plasmas and LCDs have a market, but also have their drawbacks, for makers and buyers.
CRT has a next generation technology recently previewed at shows in Japan, hi-res, slim depth and larger than 40" capability.
Cheaper to make than Plasma and more durable for owners.

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
Don't write off CRT just yet.
Plasmas and LCDs have a market, but also have their drawbacks, for makers and buyers.
CRT has a next generation technology recently previewed at shows in Japan, hi-res, slim depth and larger than 40" capability.
Cheaper to make than Plasma and more durable for owners.

Yes indeed.This was reported on the news pages of this site recently.

I don't suppose there's a link to this preview at the Japan show is there?

I agree with previous threads - even in a year's time 36" crt's will still be over £1k and decent plasmas no lower than £3 to £4k'.

For under £1k the best your likely to be looking at is 32" sony, panny etc. with integrated 5.1 digital sound.

The market's always changing but even in this field prices don't drop as rapidly as say receivers, speakers and dvd players where there is much more competition, 4/5 new products a month are launched (as opposed to 1/2 crt's) and buyers are much more likely to be "innovators".

Anyway, won't we be getting HDTV - it'll still be CRT but much better than prog scan?

Originally posted by Bogside
Anyway, won't we be getting HDTV - it'll still be CRT but much better than prog scan?
HDTV is not tied to CRT, it's a TV standard, like PAL and NTSC, so it can be watched on CRT, LCD, plasma, etc.

Yes, it's better than plain old PS.

Sorry

I did know HDTV was available on other formats I was just suggesting that we might see it in CRT's if that's what people are looking for. It's already widely available in the states in that format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom