The Future for Dual format players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BadAss, Jan 4, 2007.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    1/ Price. A Dual format players will always be more expensive than stand alone player.

2/ Regional Coding. HD-DVD players have none as yet. So no Studio will release movies to HD-DVD that haven't already done so.

3/ Studio Support. As it stands only one major Studio supports HD-DVD exclusively. Will Universal have the sort of titles that we convince some one to buy an LG monstrosity?

4/ Firmware. Both formats have their own way of delivering the HD experience. Can LG manage to do what Toshiba, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and Phillips are still struggling to produce? Can LG take on the task to produce and implement BD-J, True-HD, DTS-MA, PiP and all the other features that will come down the line?

5/ Production. Can LG build a quality product that will instill the confidence in consumer's eyes? Past History tell us no, where was their BD player?

Does anyone truly believe LG and produce some sort of wonder machine with the price, build quality, technical features and reputation to make this product a success?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Won't just be LG, they'll simply open the floodgates.

I remember people saying similar things in the old DVD-R vs DVD+R wars. Are hybrid drives more expensive?

Many of the components are already in place, e.g. Broadcom's dual-format decoder chips.

PS: what's "failer"?

StooMonster

3. Mickle

Mickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    "Failer" is what happens when you don't "suddceed".:smashin:

4. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Correction: It will only be more expensive than a blu-ray standalone. Hence your concern enough to start another BS thead :)

It's quite clear again you don't have a clue what you are talking about

You mean does Sony and Fox have the sort of titles to convince someone to buy an LG over a cheaper, better HD-DVD standalone.

The BDA companies are the only ones struggling to produce. Show me BD-J on any current blu-ray player before you have a go at LG. HD-DVD has already delivered all but DTS-MA (firmware on the way).

Build quality? Like Samsung you mean? LOL

No different to any Blu-ray standalone then :devil:

5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Some people will just not see the vision of it.
    I am sure it as mentioned above open the flood gates,

I just love where was there BD PLayer, well they just made it, its sounds like BD (from your post) has been around for years (which if true) PS3 would have been out years ago. So the question should be where are all the other BD players? Stuck is where and I think its a great idea to get the market moving in a unified way rather than polarizing the 2 camps.

6. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    Hey, maybe these dual format players will then be able to play both sides of a Warner "Total HD Hybrid Disk" (Blu-Ray on one Side HD DVD on the other).

7. trevellion

trevellion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can the mods please allocate BadAss his own forum where he can post about how fantastic Blue Ray is and how HD-DVD is doomed to failure. :lease: It's gone beyond a joke now and is very very tiresome. I used to go on FutureMark (Mad Onion in the old days) but lost interest when it appeared to be taken over by prepubescent kids who would just go on and on about how the graphics card they purchased was the best and all others were rubbish. This forum is going the same way.

8. Mr Jolly

Mr Jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Does anybody know how many LD/DVD combi players priced at £900 Pioneer sold when DVD launched all those years ago? I bet it was quite a few, you bought a player knowing full well it would play any disc you put in it. I wonder if the same principals apply here. Heck who knows maybe Pioneer might bring a dual format machine out:thumbsup:

9. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If someone like Denon or Arcam released a dual format player, its what I would want.

10. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Have made a few spelling corrections to your original post: -

1/ Price. A Dual format players will always be more expensive than a standalone HD-DVD player, but not as expensive as a Blur-Ray player.

2/ Regional Coding. HD-DVD players have none as yet, thus more people will buy HD-DVD disks (as opposed to region-encoded Blur-Ray movies).

3/ Studio Support. Because most people now buy HD-DVD, Sony will be left as the only remaining Blur-Ray exclusive studio. Blur-Ray remains a proprietry format for the DelayStation 3.

4/ Firmware. Blu-Ray has it's own way of delivering the near-HD experience. Can LG manage to do what Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and Phillips are still struggling to produce? Can LG take on the task to produce and implement BD-J, True-HD, DTS-MA, PiP and all the other features that will come down the line?

5/ Production. Can LG build a quality product that will instill the confidence in consumer's eyes? Past History tell us no, where was their BD player?

Therefor no one will buy a dual format player as standalone HD-DVD players are all that's required :D

11. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Why enter a thread I've started if you don't want to read what I've got to say? :confused:

12. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Rumours are they are more likely to produce just an HD-DVD standalone

13. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Don't agree :rotfl: at all I lurve these threads, theres little else going on in HD player section at the moment.

14. trevellion

trevellion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    All you do is troll. :nono: Give up for God's sake, and if not his then for mine.

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    If they do, I might be compelled by powers beyond my control to buy it too.

StooMonster

16. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Dual format players doomed to failure?

In the short term, I think the opposite.

Longer term, you may be right but then both HD-DVD and BlueRay are destined to fail anyway, the general public are not ready for them and by the time they are we will be onto 1TB+ disc sizes and new codecs.

17. Mickle

Mickle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I may be standing in the queue behind you...:rotfl:

18. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Samsung appear to be able to reduce the price as you have been pointing out recently with an import around £389. A dual player from LG may be much cheaper than a BD standalone from Panasonic or Pioneer.

What evidence do you have that any studio that hasn't already will never release on HD DVD in the future?

Why is the LG a monstrosity ? I suspect it will be the first of many brands to release dual format products.

I guess we will soon find out. Is it any worse have a flawed dual format player than a flawed single format player ?

Maybe LG wanted to see how the market reacted to the formats before jumping behind BD. Clearly a smart move and they no longer appear to believe a BD exclusive is the way to go.

Is the LG brand worse or any less capable than Samsung ? Niether are premium brands.

AVI

19. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,215
    Well a current DVD player could play DVD+/-R/RW, CD-R/RW, MP3, WMA, SVCD, JPEG, PNG, SVG, KAR and MPEG-4 (DivX/Xvid). What's a few more formats?

20. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,215
    Me too.:thumbsup:

21. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Duel players will be of great interest to current HD-DVD owners when they upgrade their machine.

An ideal opportunity to retain their HD-DVD back catalogue and gradually move over to Blu-Ray.

22. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    at this point may i say .....absofreakinlutely

23. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75

He puts forwared some very good points which are dismissed by the HD-DVD mafia because many are so insecure about the future of 'their' format.

Forget Blu-Rays hype, thats was blown away months ago, HD-DVD's been living off pure hype for the past 3 months!

24. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,346
    Indeed - now one has gone over the others are certain to follow. Samsung and Pioneer have both let it slip at past events that HD DVD was in their roadmap...it's just happening sooner than we all expected - presumably because HD DVD has had such a strong 6 months - faith in a BluRay only vision has been undermined.

LG - with their large OEM influence - will now open the floodgates. The R&D has been done, the components are there - and the players are coming :smashin:

25. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Why would people move from vc1 to mpeg2? :confused:

26. SAH

SAH
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Your assuming studios will continue producing HD-DVD discs, Blu-Ray titles won't use VC1, and VC1 is actually better than MPEG2, which judging by the latest releases it is not.

Whether MPEG2 'wastes' space, who cares, so long as PQ is good and all extras are in place?

27. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    You've got it backwards. The blu-ray owners will require it so that they can have access to the better HD-DVD titles and because the universal players will most likely have the features missing off their current gen1 blu-ray players like BD-J, BD-Live etc.

28. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Sounds emotional and defensive. May be if he stuck to facts he would be taken more seriously. ;) This is good for both formats and us the consumers.

AVI

29. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think LG ever had really any serious plans to release a standalone BD player. As for the rest of your points Badass, we are really speculating on a machine that we know next to nothing about. As for the pricing...although i'm sure such a thing would be expensive, I can't see it being more expensive than some of the standalone BD players.
    I don't get your point about studios. My assumption would be that the respective studios would still put their titles out on their respective formats of choice so what would be different there?
    Seriously though, you can't tell me there aren't at least a couple of HDDVD titles that you'd like to see? You can publish a many amazon stats and graphs as you like but I think most of us now realise that both formats aren't going anywhere soon and the only way to watch all your favourite movies is dual format...whether that be 2 machines or a dual player if it ever comes to pass.
    Are you really that anti HDDVD that you can't even accept the prospect of coexistence? Seriously, whats the alternative? If something isn't sorted out then I don't think either format will ever have mainstream appeal and will remain a niche market, just like laserdisc.

30. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    When you buy a Dual format player you have to stop, and think....

"I originally had a DVD player that played all films for £200."

Now you have an option for Hi-def, but how much do you want to pay to see the same films with more detail?

That's the price you should pay for the combi. So don't fall into the trap that you think that you are getting two players combined. You are getting the same movies that you already had being played on one player the same as before. Really it's only a combi in the eyes of Sony, and Microsoft.

I really think that Hi-def is worth £300, and that's £100 more than I pay for DVD players. So for me, a combi should be £300. A standalone player should be £200 because I can't get all of the films that I want.

It's a long wait at the moment.