1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the fun game of PC webstore 'hunt the spec'

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by richard plumb, Oct 12, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I'm currently trying to find a new PC (off the shelf, building my own is something I don't have time for anymore). I'm roughly down to the spec I want, but the fun part is looking over the leading retail websites (mesh, carrera, JAL etc)

There are a lot of review systems and special offers with about 1 million different combinations of bits. A bit of hunting will quite often find almost identical specs for £100 less on the same site.

Anyone else find this a little off-putting?

BTW, the spec I'm settling on is (A64 3000/3200, 1GB 3200 RAM, 160 SATA HDD with cache, DVD burner - dual layer, firewire, USB2, memory card reader) + Graphics card (TBD)

I'm thinking to use an LCD TV/monitor with that, so base unit only. Seems to be about £750.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    If you don't have time to build your own then you may find this site usefull. Click on the configure your own pc:) This allows you to pick the bits you want and they'll build it for you. Quite good prices too:-

www.savastore.co.uk

3. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you after a good value base unit then have a look here

Both my brother & a friend bought good spec'd machines here for not very much. Customer service was good - my friend complained about the keyboard and they sent a new one in the post that day.

It's difficult to beat in the "bang for bucks" stake...

4. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The other way of going about it if you don't have the time to build is
    decide on the spec you want and give it to a smaller retailer locally to you.

Just my tuppence worth.

5. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm doing the same thing at the moment. I would normally build a PC myself but this is going to my ex-wife (its complicated) so I really want something that comes with aftersales support/guarantee etc. and more importantly not a phone call to me to fix it. Anyway I've spent the last few days trawling and have decided to go with Mesh.

They seem to have a good reputation and have been around forever. On their homepage if you go to home/student and select the matrix m64-754 you can configure exactly what you require. The specs you list come out at just under £690 for the A64 3000 and £30 +vat extra for the 3200. Their components are good aswell - Asus motherboard (personal favourite) Sony DVD and Logitech keyboard/mouse.

Of course the spec for my ex is much lower ;)

6. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try these guys in nottingham, give them the spec that you want and theyll ship it to your door.
    www.web-systems.co.uk
    might not be the cheapest though as ive not looked at the others, but worth a mention as ive always been happy using them.
    :)

7. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    You might want to have a look at these guys as well:

http://www.nethighstreet.com/COMPUTERS/index.html

Good prices and highly configurable. My brother just bought an AMD 64 system from them and he's very happy with it.
    I think they also won an award in last month's PC Pro.