the fujitsu P42XHA58EB and HD-DVD question

skooby

Standard Member
i ahve a P42XHA58EB and im considering getting a HD-DVD player, but as the pannel does not accept 1080p does this mean i must set the player to 720p output. if so what are the downsides to the pannel not accepting 1080p?
Though not a noob to hifi i am when it come to HD TV, would i be better of getting a VP as the pannel does not tack 1080p

Thanks Skooby

miceri

I would suggest a VP (although my kit list is very sparse / old heh heh!)

When I finally get me mitts on a 50" PHD9 1080P I will most probably (when funds have risen sufficiently again) get a HDQ or whatever is flavour of the month.

I can't justify the Fuji premium that almost pays for a VP. IMO the best benefit of VP tech is that it can be used by all your sources to best effect.

hutch

I thought the whole reason the Fuji was at such a premium is that it doesnt need a VP :confused:

TarPot

skooby said:
i ahve a P42XHA58EB and im considering getting a HD-DVD player, but as the pannel does not accept 1080p does this mean i must set the player to 720p output. if so what are the downsides to the pannel not accepting 1080p?
Though not a noob to hifi i am when it come to HD TV, would i be better of getting a VP as the pannel does not tack 1080p

Thanks Skooby
The toshiba HD-A1 outputs in 1080i. This look fantastic on my PHD8.

I don't think you'd have any problems.

AV Junky

I believe that miceri means that he would rather put the extra money towards a separate VP, which will ultimately lead to a higher picture quality than the Fuji can achieve with its built-in processing.

Easiest way to think of it is that the Fuji occupies a middle ground, between the picture quality attainable from a plasma with good glass and 'average' processing and that from a plasma combo with good glass and top-notch off-board video processing. If a buyer's budget can easily cope with the outlay for the latter combo, then this is the ultimate, but the next step down is the Fuji which is (apparently) capable of some excellent pictures for a (possibly) more attainable budget. The Fuji also has the advantage of much more simple set-up and optimisation.

wHoMe

AV Junky said:
I believe that miceri means that he would rather put the extra money towards a separate VP, which will ultimately lead to a higher picture quality than the Fuji can achieve with its built-in processing.

Easiest way to think of it is that the Fuji occupies a middle ground, between the picture quality attainable from a plasma with good glass and 'average' processing and that from a plasma combo with good glass and top-notch off-board video processing. If a buyer's budget can easily cope with the outlay for the latter combo, then this is the ultimate, but the next step down is the Fuji which is (apparently) capable of some excellent pictures for a (possibly) more attainable budget. The Fuji also has the advantage of much more simple set-up and optimisation.
You could get a Lumagen HDP + 50PH9 for the same buget as a 50" 58 series
I think there are advantages to having either

Both Toshiba hd dvd players output 1080i

wHoMe

SP00KY

Isn't it annoying when budget dictates choice ;)

hornydragon

Cyril said:
Of course you can add a Lumagen HDQ to a Fujitsu for the ultimate combination.
And from what i have heard the Fujitsus adjusment set goes far rurther then than any other giving far more control when used with a VP (basically a VP will always* improve PQ)

* This is based on a suitable VP properly set-up and connected etc and a screen capable of accepting the output of the VP etc etc etc etc etc etc

skooby

Standard Member
OK so HD DVD will output 1080i so my pannel can take that, great.

now i need to now more about HD DVD so this is probely the wrong forum, thing i will post the rest of my question in the right place.

thanks skooby