1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fuji developing units at Jessops cost more than the worlds debt!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jon Weaver, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I thought Dixons was bad at BS, but what I was told in Jessops wins hands down.

I just bought a new Digital Camera and wanted to see how well the pictures could be developed, so I selected 25 shots, took them into Jessops on a CF card and went back in on Monday to get them.

I had a colleague with me and he asked why he should choose Jessops someone like Boots.

The guys reply was amazing.. First he said that "Boots are only good for perfume and toothpaste", then he said "we are photography people and have been on training courses so that we know what we are doing".

But the iceing on the cake was when he pointed to the machine behind him and boasted "See that unit? That costs 500 million pounds"

We both s******ed and asked him to repeat himself.. Unphased, he announced "That machine! It cost 500 million pounds"

We worked out that with the 240 stores that Jessops have, if they all payed £500,000,000 for their printers, it would mean that EVERY person in the UK would have to have 13000 photos printed (At 15p per print) developed for them to break even.

I would love to have seen their business case, when Jessops went to their bank for a loan of £120,000,000,000 to pay for their developers!

What worries me was that he actually believed that the unit was worth £500,000,000!

Saying that, the pictures are truely amazing.. There is no way of telling the difference between them and 35mm prints.. For me, my 35mm cameras are now going into storage as I can't see any benifit of using them anymore!

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have seen it all now.. Political correctness gone mad!

The word I typed above was 'sn iggere d'.. I can see why it deleted the bit that it did, but its going a bit far don't you think??

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The belief system of some people!

The word you typed was picked up by the automatic swear filter. This is an electronic process which is not infallible. I will have a word with Spectre to see if he can do anything about it.

Collin

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just be glad u dont live in scunthorpe

edit: I am shocked that got through!!!!!

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :laugh: :laugh:

That's more than the company's worth, having been acquired by ABN AMRO Capital for £116m in October 2002.

:rotfl:

6. pixelmajic

pixelmajic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe the chap in Jessops was hinting at the development costs..although I seriously doubt it would reach that amount! The frontier does produce outstanding results, although, a word of warning...the man behind the machine is what counts. I have seen real crap from Asda using the same machines! The frontier cost about £125k btw! And boots..who also use the same machines..can't even do on-site digital enlargements..the machine can..the operator cant't...

7. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have had a digital camera for over 2 years and love the sense of taking as many photos you like-picking out the good ones and putting them on a cd. The only problem was the kids moaning saying they like to look at prints. Whilst on holiday in Florida in December I was shown photos from a HP Photosmart 230 printer and was completely knocked out. The quality is amazing!!!! They were so good I brought a printer home. Being able to print your own pictures on 6x4 photo paper is a knockout. Go into Jessops and ask them to show you the 130 or 230 model. Be prepared to be amazed!!!!:clap: :clap: