The FUGITIVE, just how many times can something be remade ?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dUnKle, Nov 9, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Just watching Ch4 and see they have THE "NEW" FUGITIVE showing. Described as " updating the classic 1960s series with the thrills and high-tech style of the Oscar nominated smash hit movie, the new series of The Fugitive brings back to the small screen the now classic tale"

I describe it as ( based on first 21mins ) as poorly acted, taking itself far too seriously with terrible special effects. The first stunt ontop of the truck reminded me of those very very old black and white films that had a man running from a bunch of cars that were actually just being shown on a screen behind them.

What is the point of this ?????

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Duncan.

I've been following the show on E4, which is actually nearing the end of the only season made.

However, whilst the effect you describe was bad, the show does get a lot better, if you give it a chance. Judging any new show, just on its initial Pilot episode, is a little unfair and also not the best way to see how things will do, in the long term.

Many decent quality shows have had Pilot episodes that haven't been that great, but have then matured and proved themselves. In my opinion, "The Fuguitive" is one of those shows that improves.

As for how many times a series/film can be remade, you need to bear in mind that "The Fugitive" was initially a 60's TV show, that was then made into the 1993 Harrison Ford Movie. The 2000 show, is actually neither a remake or a retelling, per se.

The Pilot episode sets up the storyline, i.e. how Dr Kimble becomes a fugitive, and why (for the alleged murder of his wife). However, unlike the original TV show, the new series actually has a twist in the final 2-3 episodes. Not everything turns out happy-ever-after, like the movie did, so bear with it. I think you will see an improvement.

Pooch