Quantcast

Question The Frame (2019) QLED

cdbarker

Standard Member
Hi All

I need two pieces of advice.

1) I'm thinking of purchasing the Samsung The Frame (2019) QLED Art Mode TV with No-Gap Wall Mount, 49" / 55" primarily for the invisible one connect box, QLED and ability to display the tv as artwork, so unobtrusive in room. I will be hooking up a sonos beam and a couple of sonos play 1's for surround sound, so more interested in the picture quality. It will be used for watching news, entertainment, sport and movies. I'd like to know what current owners think are the pros and cons of the TV please and whether it is worth buying something else instead to wall mount?

2) I need a piece of floor standing furniture to put the sonos beam on top and house the one connect box, sky q mini box and possibly a blu ray player. It will need to have some form of cable management and ideally, be shallow in depth from the wall where the TV will hang. Can anyone recommend something to meet that spec please?

Chris

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Don’t have the tv but the Q85 & Q90 also have the one connect box and ambient mode. Both are far superior to the frame.

Can’t help with second question.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Hi is ambient mode better than art mode then? What is the difference?
Not 100% sure but I think art mode has access to a larger gallery of pictures. But it’s definitely not a great tv for picture quality - it’s based on the Q60 but has a massive premium for the extra features.

cdbarker

Standard Member
Thanks for your comments zeppelino. I take your point on the picture quality being better on the q85/q90 but how much better? Can you really tell with the naked eye? I do like the frame concept and the picture looks pretty darn good to me. I’ll do a little more digging before I purchase.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
The frame is a 7/10, the Q85 8/10 and the Q90 9/10. If all were set up next to each other you’d notice the difference. Look at rtings.com - they’ve tested all of them - the Q85 is the Q80 over there.

cdbarker

Standard Member
Yes, I've seen the RTINGS website. The proof of the pudding would be to look at the The Frame 2019 and Q85R side by side in store. I'll have to go and see if I can do this. I'm willing to sacrifice a 'near perfection' picture & ambient mode functionality for the art mode functionality and design of the frame as long as the QLED picture of The Frame is not awful. Viewing angles and gaming response times do not matter to me but movies and sports viewing do so they may take a small hit in terms of quality but hopefully negligible to the naked eye.

Thanks for your responses zeppelino. I'd be interested if we have any Frame owners who can comment on the picture quality for movies and sports.

ShadowTD

I'd love to be able to reply - I've got a 65" The Frame sitting in it's box waiting for me to move house at the end of the month. It's just about killing me!

cdbarker

Standard Member
Hi

I went ahead and bought The Frame 55 inch. Installed yesterday. Looks great both on TV and art mode. Still working out the art mode settings in terms of waking up the TV in art mode once it has been put into sleep mode. It didn't work this morning.

I would be grateful if anyone who has this working could share their settings.

mad_dr

I had a similar issue with my 2019 49" The Frame not waking itself up as promised. I must say, Samsung technical support is absolute garbage... It seems to me that the sensor that triggers the TV to wake up is hit and miss but the main thing I noticed is that it seems to be in the One Box, rather than in the TV. This makes no sense to me as a lot of people will choose to keep their One Box tucked away in a closet or similar. Mine is underneath a sideboard below the TV and I find that if the One Box has something in front of it (normally one of my kids' toys) it won't turn on. But when I walk over to pick up the remote nearby, it wakes up... Not great.

Mind you, my opinion of Samsung wasn't helped by the fact that I preordered my 2019 The Frame back in March last year, ahead of its launch in early May. Then, two weeks after it arrived, Samsung announced that buyers from that point until the end of 2019 would receive a free bezel/frame. I contacted them to ask if their early-adopters/supporters would receive the same reward and was told in no uncertain terms "NO". No amount of reasoning with them would sway their robotic customer service staff from effectively punishing folks who went out and bought the TV as soon as it was available, compared to folks who waited. Oh well.

And, as for the quality, it's fantastic. I'm sure that if you have extra perfect eyesight, or sit very close to the screen, or have several TVs lined up side by side, you'll notice differences between them all. But if you have just the one TV on your wall, you likely won't be able to tell much difference between it and a Q90. Having said that, most things in TV and Hifi are very subjective, hard to quantify, almost impossible to discern in a vacuum and probably not worth worrying about if you're happy with how the TV looks and sounds.

cdbarker

Standard Member
I had a similar issue with my 2019 49" The Frame not waking itself up as promised. I must say, Samsung technical support is absolute garbage... It seems to me that the sensor that triggers the TV to wake up is hit and miss but the main thing I noticed is that it seems to be in the One Box, rather than in the TV. This makes no sense to me as a lot of people will choose to keep their One Box tucked away in a closet or similar. Mine is underneath a sideboard below the TV and I find that if the One Box has something in front of it (normally one of my kids' toys) it won't turn on. But when I walk over to pick up the remote nearby, it wakes up... Not great.

Mind you, my opinion of Samsung wasn't helped by the fact that I preordered my 2019 The Frame back in March last year, ahead of its launch in early May. Then, two weeks after it arrived, Samsung announced that buyers from that point until the end of 2019 would receive a free bezel/frame. I contacted them to ask if their early-adopters/supporters would receive the same reward and was told in no uncertain terms "NO". No amount of reasoning with them would sway their robotic customer service staff from effectively punishing folks who went out and bought the TV as soon as it was available, compared to folks who waited. Oh well.

And, as for the quality, it's fantastic. I'm sure that if you have extra perfect eyesight, or sit very close to the screen, or have several TVs lined up side by side, you'll notice differences between them all. But if you have just the one TV on your wall, you likely won't be able to tell much difference between it and a Q90. Having said that, most things in TV and Hifi are very subjective, hard to quantify, almost impossible to discern in a vacuum and probably not worth worrying about if you're happy with how the TV looks and sounds.
I think that the sensor is at the bottom of the TV.

My settings are as follows:
TV
Ambient Light Detection: On
Auto Power:Off
Run Last App:On
Sleep After:15
Motion Detector:High
Night Mode:Off

This, I hope, will work in terms of switching the art mode into a sleep mode after 15 mins of no motion being sensed and then reactivate once someone returns and triggers the motion sensor.

I will have to wait and see if it works.

cdbarker

Standard Member
I think that the sensor is at the bottom of the TV.

My settings are as follows:
TV
Ambient Light Detection: On
Auto Power:Off
Run Last App:On
Sleep After:15
Motion Detector:High
Night Mode:Off

This, I hope, will work in terms of switching the art mode into a sleep mode after 15 mins of no motion being sensed and then reactivate once someone returns and triggers the motion sensor.

I will have to wait and see if it works.
*update*
The above settings are working for me as expected. Hope that this may help someone out there.

Top Bottom