1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Four Feathers R1

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Family Guy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this delivered from Futureent yesterday and due to lack of of anything decent on TV, I gave it a spin last night.
    Did this film ever get a theatrical release over here? If it did, it was very low key and I didn't even notice it!!
    My advice to you all is - don't let the same happen with the DVD!!!
    The story revolves around Harry, played brilliantly by Heath Ledger, an officer in the British Army in 1894 when it was considered an honour to be in the army.:rolleyes: His regiment is sent to the Sudan and Harry believes he made the wrong choice in joining the army and resigns his commision. He is seen as a coward and is sent a white feather by each of (what he thinks) are his closest friends.
    The story then moves back and forth accross 2 continents as Harry tries to prove his worth.
    The picture quality can be described as good to excellent. The sound is awesome - I have an LED on my amp that lights when the LFE comes out to play. This must have been lit for 80% of this movie!!! The extra's are ample and worth a watch. However, the best thing about this disc is the story contained within....stonking and definetly gets a :smashin: :smashin: .

One last point though - it was directed by a guy called Shekhar Kapur. I've never heard of him - but his style is Very Jon Woo - lots of slo mo and "wooshing" sound effects. I see big things coming for Mr Kapur.....

2. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Kapur's last movie was, I think, the Cate Blanchett-starring "Elizabeth" - which I didn't particularly care for. "The Four Feathers" seems more up my alley, if only for Kate Hudson being in it.

John Woo-esque visuals, big sweeping spectacle and constant LFE shenanigans? Sounds worth a look to me.

Interesting piece on the making of this movie in a recent "Empire" issue, too - Mr. Kapur has some unique ideas about keeping his actors motivated on set...

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    UK theatrical realease is "on hold"

US release bombed big time + it seems that the distributer is a bit sensitive re the possibility of a war in the gulf, since the film is based around a conflict in the Sudan at the turn of the 19th century with Islamic rebels (these people are very stupid in my opinion)

4. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember seeing an earlier TV version of this film.

It's a great story - based on the Novel of the same name.

Cheers
    OG

5. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've been thinking about picking this up for a while after reading some good reviews on it's cinema release in the states. I may have to place that order now.:smashin:

6. mieville

mieville

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good film, some good acting (Hudson was a bit wooden)
    still not a patch on the 1939 version but still worth a look.

The roll in the sand near the end made me laugh...... what
    luck!