The Force Awakens autograph collecting

• Thread starter Deleted member 92943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 92943

So with the Force Awakens out I've decided that I'm going to get back into autograph collecting.

with this film having a new and younger cast, I feel that getting alot of signatures on a poster is much more achievable than say the cast of A New hope.

I'm thinking of the UK quad

Mark Hamill is achievable to obtain plus I expect him to attend celebration Europe next year. Harrison Ford is pretty much impossible but I guess that's the way it goes.

There's already quite a few going to the February comic con so that should get things started.

anyone else planning to do the same?

Attachments

• 1450732078777.jpg
    1450732078777.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 58

Drax1

Distinguished Member
So with the Force Awakens out I've decided that I'm going to get back into autograph collecting.

with this film having a new and younger cast, I feel that getting alot of signatures on a poster is much more achievable than say the cast of A New hope.

I'm thinking of the UK quad

Mark Hamill is achievable to obtain plus I expect him to attend celebration Europe next year. Harrison Ford is pretty much impossible but I guess that's the way it goes.

There's already quite a few going to the February comic con so that should get things started.

anyone else planning to do the same?
Yes, am off to the Celebration Europe next year for the same reason. That and the fact, I would be elated to meet one Miss Daisy Ridley. We'll see...
Hamill's is one I would to get for my Star Wars Chronicles book. It's got pretty much everyone else, (bar Ford, which I don't ever imagine getting).
I'll only go to these things if the bigger names are attending. My last trip out saw me going home with a Sigourney Weaver signed Aliens one sheet... And what a lovely lady she was...:love:

D

Deleted member 92943

Did you see the Force Awakens premier on YouTube? So sad seeing the amount of autographs Harrison was signing when most were obviously dealers who planned to seel them on.

I think at the last celebration Europe, Hamill was £90 an autograph which I would pay if he chatted and posed for photos too

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Did you see the Force Awakens premier on YouTube? So sad seeing the amount of autographs Harrison was signing when most were obviously dealers who planned to seel them on.
Yes, it's terrible really. Apparently, Hamill wouldn't sign stuff there for that very reason.

Last edited:

knave

It would be awesome if you updated this thread with your progress on this as and when you are heading out and whether the trip was successful or not. I for one would be enjoy that.

How do dealers authenticate the autographs when selling? Every time I've seen someone ask about an autograph's authemticity on here, they get responses that seem to suggest every autograph is fake unless you have photo/video evidence of it being signed with a urine sample from the star, a lock of their hair and copy of their passport (ok, i exaggerated that a bit but posters have been met with ridic scepticism).

D

Deleted member 92943

Certificates are tricky as sometimes they are not working th the paper they are written on.

I'd certainly update you all on my progress. These events are quite cool and it's been years since I attended these type of events.

I see on eBay the Harrison Ford autographs from the London premier going by for £200 which I'm ashamed to say is actually a really good deal. I'm almost tempted to buy but then I want my autographs on a poster.

I have a heath ledger autograph which I payed £250 for and thinking of unloading to fund a Harrison Ford one. Its only signed on an index card though

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
For me an autograph is only worth it if it is signed in person, that way its a memento of your meeting and every time you look at it you are reminded on that time, just don't see the appeal of buying them off the net when in reality it could be anyone that has signed it.

Getting posters signed is a good idea though but it could be a long journey, took me about 7 years to finish my TNG print and many hundreds of miles but was worth every penny :)

IMG_0855.jpg

D

Deleted member 92943

Totally agree mate. Nothing beats meeting the actor in person.

with the Force Awakens, the only two actors who I think may be tricky is Harrison Ford and Max Von Sydow because of their ages.

Harrison did do private signings but now his time with star wars is done, my chances are very low.

I'm confident Hamill and Fisher will be signing at celebration europe

knave

I'm looking forward to seeing updates on this poster!! :)

Mrs Knave got Affleck's autograph in Las Vegas once, he just signed a Planet Hollywood notepad but we have footage of him signing. The thing is, even that isn't really proof if we sold it because who's to say the page of the book you are buying is the page he signed? He was a nice bloke though in fairness, had plenty of time for people.

D

Deleted member 92943

What are people's opinions on getting things signed from uncredited actors?

London Comic are getting a few people who played stormtroopers and resistance pilots for example.

Do you get them to sign the poster because they are part of the film or just stick to characters of significance?

knave

Personally, I wouldn't get them to sign the poster. It would be cool to have their autographs but I wouldn't want them on the poster your are doing, I'd want that to just be the stars. Is that snobbish? Lol

D

Deleted member 92943

I think it varies. Some do and some don't. I just can't decide

Bigpig

I would stick to the guys that's just on the poster

mckee74

Distinguished Member
I think its cool to say get the folks on the poster. I always do posters personally. You do have to be realistic though, getting the main stars? That would be somewhat optimistic.

I have an original Star Wars poster with 27 autographs on it, and I do have the main cast on it but it took a lot of time, and effort. As for cost, I'd rather not think about it. I'm still working on it and it now gets to the point where I can only be half way choosy who signs it - I don't really want Stormtrooper second from the left signing it for instance but sometimes beggars can't be choosers - but then I can only get it signed but who is out (mainly on the convention circuit).

I'm thinking of starting a TFA poster, but being realistic I know I won't get Ford again. Simple as. We're lucky with Star Wars being filmed in Britain that we have a largely British cast so conventions over here can be good. I think autographs like Ridley and Boyega are realistic, and with Celebration Europe next year others like Fisher and Hamill are also achievable (if you're willing to pay for them). Going back to Mr Ford though, and newcomers like Oscar Issac... I don't think so.

My personal advice (and what I likely be doing) is getting the teaser poster. The star field style of the poster will allow the signatures to stand out, and it won't bug me looking at the faces of the characters yet to be signed.

There are a few good ones attending Spring London Film and Comic Con. Greg Grunberg is particularly interesting.

D

Deleted member 92943

Greg Grunberg I'm pleased to be getting but I'm finding £25 is quite expensive for him.

The teaser poster is a good idea actually cos like you say, it's doesn't highlight a big actor that you might not get.

Any particular reason why you think Oscar will be difficult obtain?

Also, as a poster is going to be a long process to complete, I won't be able to frame it in the meantime. Posters always get wear and tear ad it goes on too.

If there was somewhere where I could get lovely 8x10 photos I could get for an album I would maybe do that instead because I find the one on offer at the events are crap

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Yeah, defo, photos are much much easier but I just think a poster looks better on the wall. More of a display piece.

Carrying a poster around can be difficult, and worrying. My Star Wars posters has a very small tear and it kills me. I know when it has been framed I won't be able to see it but I'll know it's there!

Oscar Issac. Seems like a lovely fella but I would be surprised to see him turn up at a convention anytime soon. Think you'll be left waiting outside a premiere or something, and that is never fun.

I find the best place for 8x10 is the stalls you'll find at conventions. Usually very reasonable too.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom