The Folly - Double garage conversion (MK Sound 5.2.4)

Bagapeas

"Folly" a costly ornamental building with no practical purpose.

Having read lots of posts on here I wanted to share the results of our double garage conversion and the realisation of a long-standing dream to have a home cinema. I'm hopeless at DIY and so we went down the route of using a local building firm and custom installer for the cinema.

We moved into our current house around 18 months ago. One of the attractions was the attached double garage, which we thought we could turn into an additional living room once we'd settled in.

We decided to start around June last year. This initial thought was this to be more of a living room and I'd see about adding in some surround speakers. As work started though, we decided to go for it and have it more as a dedicated cinema room, but with scope to be a living room, i.e. not total blacked-out bat cave. And so "The Folly" was born.

Work in progress:
Folly  - 1.jpg
Folly  - 2.jpg
Folly  - 3.jpg
Folly  - 5.jpg
Folly  - 6.jpg

Bagapeas

As the work was progressing and not having fully decided what I wanted I really needed to sort out the cinema side of things. I'd made contact with a few firms but following an initial phone call with Richard at Seriously Cinema @Seriously Ltd and having seen some of the feedback and posting history he came over to see the garage and chat about what we could do, which was a big help.

We followed up with a day out at Gecko looking and listening at each of the systems. The visit really helped put the picture in my head of what the end result could be like and I really enjoyed seeing all the systems.

After that we put Richard in touch with our builders, a local firm New Level Lofts & Interiors (who were fantastic) and they worked together to coordinate the building and then fitting of the system. Richard was always on hand and really helpful throughout the process.

There's some things I would do differently - I was definitely indecisive and disorganised, but in the end I'm bowled over with the results and so pleased we did it. We are using the room so much (my wife might say I spend far too much time in there).
Folly  - 9.jpg
Folly  - 10.jpg
Folly  - 11.jpg
Folly  - 13.jpg
Folly  - 8.jpg

Bagapeas

The equipment we went for

MK Sound Speakers 3xIW150, 2xS150 Tripoles, 4xIW85 (in-ceiling) and 2x V12 subwoofers
Denon 4400 receiver
JVC 5900 projector
Panasonic DP-UB820 4k blu ray
along with our existing Sky Q, Apple TV, PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch

We'd thought about adding a control system, which might be something for the future, but for now everything controls really well from my existing Harmony remote.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It was a pleasure. I’m really pleased with the end results. The room looks and sounds fantastic. I am glad that it is getting a lot of use as it’s a wonderful family cinema room.

[email protected]

Bagapeas

We've made a few changes to the room since the original setup. Some new furniture and I couldn't help updating the equipment.

IMG_1285 (1).jpeg

IMG_1281.jpeg
IMG_1288.jpeg

And changes to the equipment rack, with the addition of a Lyngdorf TDAi 2170, which has been fantastic for music and I'm using the room much more as a living room listening to music.

I wasn't intending to upgrade the Denon (which I must get round to listing) for quite a while, but then an AVM60 came available and I went for it. Both the upgrades have made a big difference and I'm probably using the room even more than before! Hopefully that's my upgraditis sorted for a while now...!
IMG_1287.jpeg

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Looks great, word of warning though, upgraditis is a bug that keeps rearing it’s head every now and then 😉

mb3195

Distinguished Member
yes I’ve always been a sufferer but hopefully it’s settled fo a while... 😀
...until the next thing comes along!
Haha, that’s what I thought when I changed my speakers, then my amp, then my processor, then my.......well everything actually!

And still looking at changing stuff 🤣🤣🤣

Bagapeas

Haha, that’s what I thought when I changed my speakers, then my amp, then my processor, then my.......well everything actually!

And still looking at changing stuff 🤣🤣🤣
😂

It’s all part of the hobby! I just need to stop reading the Lyngdorf thread!

But upgrading or tweaking aside I absolutely love the set up and use it so (too??) much. Best thing I’ve bought and always been a long-standing wish.

Bagapeas

Another addition to The Folly. Sadly not some new AV kit but setting up the new home office. I had been working for the last few weeks in the spare bedroom but have now set up a new standing desk in the cinema room, which keeps my work more separate from the rest of the house.

It's generated lots of comments on video conferences so far as the cinema screen is in the background! So far not been tempted to watch movies instead of working, but does mean I can now listen to music on the system while working :)

Home Office.jpeg

Harkon321

Where is the AV rack mate? Is it in those flat blue doors?

Bagapeas

IMG_1762.jpeg

Another new update. This time I’ve expanded my NAS with a QNAP TR-004 expansion as it was getting a little full. I’m currently moving all the content onto the expansion, which should mean I’m all set for a while now. That said I’m going to try getting some 4k movies on there so it could get rapidly consumed!

I’ve been running it through Apple TV and Infuse with a Plex server, but going to experiment just using Infuse alone. This has been great, but the Apple TV doesn’t allow atmos tracks - this was fine for most blu rays but will be more limiting if I can get 4k discs on there.

This might mean I’ll need to look at an alternative media player. Does anyone have any recommendations of what they’ve been using?

NASAKillbill

View attachment 1297285

Another new update. This time I’ve expanded my NAS with a QNAP TR-004 expansion as it was getting a little full. I’m currently moving all the content onto the expansion, which should mean I’m all set for a while now. That said I’m going to try getting some 4k movies on there so it could get rapidly consumed!

I’ve been running it through Apple TV and Infuse with a Plex server, but going to experiment just using Infuse alone. This has been great, but the Apple TV doesn’t allow atmos tracks - this was fine for most blu rays but will be more limiting if I can get 4k discs on there.

This might mean I’ll need to look at an alternative media player. Does anyone have any recommendations of what they’ve been using?
Really enjoyed reading your Thread and loved the pics.
Can I have some more please sir 😁

I was in the same boat ref Apple TV 4K. Got fed up with my HTPC and went down the route of a Zappiti 4K hdr mini.
Plays everything under the sun.

Good luck. And share more pics!

Bagapeas

Really enjoyed reading your Thread and loved the pics.
Can I have some more please sir 😁

I was in the same boat ref Apple TV 4K. Got fed up with my HTPC and went down the route of a Zappiti 4K hdr mini.
Plays everything under the sun.

Good luck. And share more pics!
Thanks very much for the comments and I’m glad you liked the thread. Thanks for the suggestion of the Zappiti, which I’ll look into. Do you know whether this converts HDR to SDR for 4k content? I’ve been using my Panasonic to convert when watching discs, which for me has improved the picture through the projector so would be hoping to find something similar.

Will certainly look at adding more pictures :)

NASAKillbill

[Video] HDR > SDR conversion for TVs not compatible with HDR
← Zappiti 4K HDR [EN]
Since version 3.13, there is no need to manipulate anything to have an automatic conversion HDR to SDR. New conversion works on the luminance curve and the chrominance. A 3D LUT is dynamically applied to convert BT.2020 to BT.709.

To have an optimal conversion, here are the settings that we advise :
Deep Color: 10 Bits
Color Space: Y'CbCr 4:4:4

hope that helps, reading on some of the forums it does seem to have the ability to do it.
my main requirement was to play my remux rips in full and also pass atmos etc through.

Bagapeas

[Video] HDR > SDR conversion for TVs not compatible with HDR
← Zappiti 4K HDR [EN]
Since version 3.13, there is no need to manipulate anything to have an automatic conversion HDR to SDR. New conversion works on the luminance curve and the chrominance. A 3D LUT is dynamically applied to convert BT.2020 to BT.709.

To have an optimal conversion, here are the settings that we advise :
Deep Color: 10 Bits
Color Space: Y'CbCr 4:4:4

hope that helps, reading on some of the forums it does seem to have the ability to do it.
my main requirement was to play my remux rips in full and also pass atmos etc through.
Thanks that’s very helpful. HDR is something I’ve never been satisfied with in my projector, though haven’t had it calibrated, and so the Panasonic solution has been great. I do want the convenience of having more of my collection on the NAS though.

Bagapeas

Couple more pictures. My UHD-friendly drive arrived today (bigger than I expected) and so have started added my UHD collection to the movie server.
IMG_1774.JPG

And the Plex server is back up and running as I had to rebuild when adding another drive to the expansion. Have opted for a Raid 5 this time to save hassle if a drive fails.

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1775.jpeg

I tried watching with HDR on 4k and actually looked pretty good, but I think I'll have a look at optimising this.

grancave

Novice Member
Cinema looks lovely and that is the most beautiful sofa and pouffe I've ever seen. Where'd you gt it.

Bagapeas

Cinema looks lovely and that is the most beautiful sofa and pouffe I've ever seen. Where'd you gt it.
Thanks very much. We got the sofa from DFS - we’d been looking all over for something that would work then came across this.

Last edited:

Bagapeas

Just a few more pictures following the move around to accommodate the home office.It's slightly more crowded with the piano along the side wall now but all works and it's a nice part of the house to work in. The longer the lockdown goes on though the more I get kicked out by the kids for their Disney+ marathons... But it's really nice that the whole family is still using the room.
IMG_1784.jpeg

And the view of the screen. I'm experimenting with putting some of the micro velvet over the V12s to reduce reflections - the one on the right is covered and definitely makes a difference.
IMG_1781.jpeg

and I thought I'd put the equipment rack into context within the room
IMG_1783.jpeg

with a healthy dose of upgrade-itis it's getting quite full in there! I "should" be settled for a while, but I keep wandering into the Lyngdorf threads!

Next purchase though is likely to be another media player now that I'm gradually getting my 4k discs onto the NAS, but looks like there are a few new models coming out this year so will wait and see.

Bagapeas

A very minor update - replacing the generic login pictures on the QNAP NAS with random movie stills to better suit the content. A small thing but nicer when logging in. I may have a bit too much time on my hands :)
TheFolly.jpg