• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The Fog Collector's Edition Blu on the way

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Here's hoping it's a better transfer than Optimum's effort:

"Shout Factory has revealed that it plans to release a Collector's Edition Blu-ray of John Carpenter's classic film The Fog (1980), starring Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Janet Leigh. Tech specs and supplemental features to be included on this upcoming release are yet to be revealed, but the preliminary release date set by the studio is July 23rd. "

John Carpenter's The Fog Comes to Blu-ray

Mr Jolly

Established Member
Day one for me. :)

And yet again I'm getting more excited with back catalogue releases than new release movies.

rapta

Prominent Member
Never seen it but love John Carpenter so might blind-buy if it's a decent transfer!

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Scream Factory reported that Dean Cundey was supervising the transfer for this release so it should be excellent.

Apparently Barbeau and Jamie Lee Curtis have been interviewed recently for this one too.

Note to region B'ers this will be region A locked

mentasm

Distinguished Member
They Live wasn't great, but there's a feeling among some people that it could just have easily been down to Universal as Shout! (as they supplied the master). Halloween II has less detail than Universal's release (from what I've seen in caps), but it doesn't look 'bad' per se. Some of them have been fine though (From Beyond was). If it's an unmolested transfer from a new scan The Fog should look pretty good.

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to this and The Burning from Shout! Factory.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Hopefully time to retire the old HD DVD :)

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Defo buying this for the extras. Can't say much about those screen caps because they say very very little [as usual]. Always thought the UK Blu-ray was fab just needed the 2 disc UK or French (more extras than anywhere else) DVDs for extras.

High priced this release so looking for <£15. Around £17 shipped http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Fog-Blu-ray-/111094246405

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1972

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=13538

Incredibly scary film and that priest scene nearly killed me! :eek:

Defo buying this for the extras. Can't say much about those screen caps because they say very very little [as usual]. Always thought the UK Blu-ray was fab just needed the 2 disc UK or French (more extras than anywhere else) DVDs for extras.

High priced this release so looking for <£15. Around £17 shipped The Fog Blu-ray 5055201803849 | eBay

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Fog (The) AKA John Carpenter's The Fog (1980)

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Fog (The) AKA John Carpenter's The Fog (Blu-ray) (1980)

Incredibly scary film and that priest scene nearly killed me! :eek:

Are you on crack ? :D

The UK Blu-ray is among the worst transfers I've seen and the Beaver caps look so much more natural and subtle in terms of contrast.

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Although Beaver's caps don't always give a proper representation of the disc these clearly look much better than the UK disc.

Optimum's 'The Fog' & 'EFNY' are easily among the worst releases I've seen with my peepers :thumbsdow

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
Although Beaver's caps don't always give a proper representation of the disc these clearly look much better than the UK disc.

Optimum's 'The Fog' & 'EFNY' are easily among the worst releases I've seen with my peepers :thumbsdow

Is it definitely Region Locked?

J.J.GITTES

Distinguished Member
Yes they do look good ,and to fair it can't be as bad as the UK release which was a shocker , anyway my order is in looking forward to getting it.

Karlin

Distinguished Member
Are you on crack ? :D

The UK Blu-ray is among the worst transfers I've seen and the Beaver caps look so much more natural and subtle in terms of contrast.

Oi! :D

StudioCanal's The Fog is impressive moving from the murky DVD. Yeah, that new transfer does look interesting but I like my motion pictures to be in motion. Photos of a video ain't much use until we see it for ourselves.

I hope it's a big improvement!

John Hodson

Prominent Member
Dean Cundey himself supervised the transfer; I'm really looking forward to this.

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Oi! :D

StudioCanal's The Fog is impressive moving from the murky DVD. Yeah, that new transfer does look interesting but I like my motion pictures to be in motion. Photos of a video ain't much use until we see it for ourselves.

I hope it's a big improvement!
Optimum's (as they were back then) release of The Fog is an upscale and suffers from terrible black crush. It's actually murkier than the DVD. Terrible release, up there with Escape from New York and They Live.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom