1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Fly" Director's Cut Project

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ChrisNightingal, Sep 30, 2005.

1. ChrisNightingal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi everybody,

I have just finished watching new special edition of the excellent David Cronenberg remake of "The Fly". One thing that I was really looking forward to was the deleted scenes which were pretty good fun but they weren't part of the movie, they were just on the extra's disc.

What I would like to do is to take the original film and make a new "director's cut" version by sticking the deleted scenes back in. Note: This project is purely for myself and not for public distribution (in case the rules of this forum prevent the discussion of copyrighted DVD reproduction)

I have been looking at some software which will allow me to do this but without too much luck so far.

I downloaded a trial version of MovieMaker 4 which seemed like it would do the business except for the following issues I have found which people might be able to correct me on:

- I have imported original film plus all required deleted scenes into Movie Factory and when importing it lists the audio types which include DTS and DD 5.1 but the options for the project only seem to indicate that DD 2 channel will be available as an output. Is this correct? Or is it a limitation of the trail version or something?

- When piecing together the clips, I obviously have to set start and end points on certain clips and cut the main film at key points. I have done this to the nearest frame but when I preview it, there seems to be some randomness in that sometimes it will not always jump to the next chapter at the exact frame that I set.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how I could put this project together. Burning the image to DVD isn't a problem as I can use Nero to recode it with the appropriate sound I want to use (and what will fit without too much compression) but what I need is a way of piecing together the full film without loosing the full digital surround audio.

Right enough waffling and I am grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Chris N