The Flu

LemonGrab

There is a lot of it around at the moment, i am off work for the 2nd day, not had a cold/influenza like this for a long time.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I've only ever had Flu once, it was awful, couldn't move and everything hurt like hell and zero energy, have had very heavy colds as well but only one bout of flu and I never want it again, I just had 2 days off my face on co-codamol 30/500 they helped a lot as they just sparked me out ha ha.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Only had "the Flu" once as well. Flat on my back for over a week. Wake up in morning feeling mildly better, go to bathroom, that was enough to send me back to bed, too exhausted just walking to the toilet.

Had a heavy cold many times, but when you really have "the Flu" you'll know about it.

BAN5HEE

I got Man Flu just before Christmas. Joint aches, chills with a fever, sweating like a sweaty thing.
I drank a ton of night nurse and slept for about 2 days and then was able to function again but still didn't feel a 100% for at least another 4 days after.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Only had "the Flu" once as well. Flat on my back for over a week. Wake up in morning feeling mildly better, go to bathroom, that was enough to send me back to bed, too exhausted just walking to the toilet.

Had a heavy cold many times, but when you really have "the Flu" you'll know about it.
Oh good god yes, I felt like I was going to cark it, never had anything like it before and touch wood again either, I was the same just walking to the loo finished me off, couldn't eat or drink but had sips of water and definitely couldn't post on this place was bloody awful.

Cobb

Distinguished Member
I've got a heavy cold at the moment, but it's not the flu. I've had full blown flu twice and was bed ridden and completely out of if for about a week on both occasions. When you've had the flu before you definitely know the difference between that and a common cold.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
There's a huge difference between Flu and a bad cold. A bad cold will just make you ache, sneeze and cough and have you feeling rough for a day or two.

Flu can be terrible and if you catch it, as said - you'll know about it!

koeman

I actually had a member of staff ring in sick last week "I've woke up with flu, but I'll be back in tomorrow"

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
I always joke with women bout Man flu & giving birth.

I say the difference is when a man gets man flu, he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy. But when a woman gives birth, she'll gladly do it again & again.

I don't half get some funny/evil stares ;)

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Ah the Flu. A cold is not the flu.

A study last year said adults only get the actual Flu about twice a decade. I've not had it since I was about 12 so am well over due!

If you have the Flu you will not be getting out of bed for almost two weeks. You will feel so drained that you can't do anything.

A bad cold is not the Flu. Even if you feel crap for a few days, it's still not the flu.

Reminds me of people who when they have a bad headache, say they have a migraine. As someone who has migraines and others of you who have them know that is bs.

Pisto_Grih

Distinguished Member
Only had it once, caught it in Hong Kong on the last day of a week out there. Went to a local hospital and they prescribed paracetamol and a paper mask :D at least it wasn't bird flu. flight home was an awful experience and was then in bed for 2 weeks.

Inferno

Distinguished Member

I say the difference is when a man gets man flu, he wouldn't wish it on his worst enemy. But when a woman gives birth, she'll gladly do it again & again.

Could that be because it makes no sense!!! :devil: well none to me, I just don't get it.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
I had a stubborn cold in Oct last yr which wouldn't shift, swollen Uvulva, sinus infection and two blocked ears, mid Nov after a course of antibiotics I started coughing blood, along with a hacking cough, I was eventually diagnosed with Pneumonia.. A course of clarithromycin shifted it..
I think the common cold is under estimated, knocks my exercise and works schedule a couple of times a yr... And can lead to complications..PITA..

zed4

Ah the Flu. A cold is not the flu.

A study last year said adults only get the actual Flu about twice a decade. I've not had it since I was about 12 so am well over due!

If you have the Flu you will not be getting out of bed for almost two weeks. You will feel so drained that you can't do anything.

A bad cold is not the Flu. Even if you feel crap for a few days, it's still not the flu.

Reminds me of people who when they have a bad headache, say they have a migraine. As someone who has migraines and others of you who have them know that is bs.
This is very true! I'm currently in bed with a horrible cold I caught at an exhibition I was working at last week. Whilst there, I had two people tell me they have the flu and another person tell me they had a migraine! Really, you're walking round a boat show with the flu or a migraine?! I don't think so. I suffer from migraines, I partially lose vision and I can't open my eyes due to the pain and the fact I'll be sick!

Inferno

Distinguished Member
What's not to get ;)

Women say 'ahhh man flu' as in its "just a cold", yet we know its agony. Role reverse for childbirth ;)
All of it, you need to further explain what it is after the initial statement to understand what the fudge your on about :confused:.

The childbirth bit as my OH says, you forget what it was really like that's why they do it again, mad heads! I wouldn't put my hand in the fire twice then again they are another species :D.

Indiana Jones

I don't think I have ever had the flu so way over due lol

sniffer66

Distinguished Member

The one I have with my other half is on the same lines but substitute man flu for a kick in the nuts, when debating what hurts more.
You never hear a man say "I could go another kick in the nuts" two years later.

Last edited:

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
If there was a £50 note lying 5 metres from your front door - would you go to get it? If the answer is yes, it's not the flu.

I had it once when I was in my teens. 2 weeks off school and barely made it out of bed. Thought I was dying. Even a week later I was getting out of breath going up and down the stairs.

I've had plenty of very nasty colds, high temp, feeling awful etc. but the worst of it is over in 48 hours.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Oh come off it, it can't be that bad! :)

If it is, I've never had it, which I would have thought is implausible. I doubt many people could get to my age and avoid both flu and chicken pox.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Oh come off it, it can't be that bad! :)

If it is, I've never had it, which I would have thought is implausible. I doubt many people could get to my age and avoid both flu and chicken pox.
You definitely haven't had it if you think it can't be that bad!

I've only had it once in my life, so it's fairly plausible for you not to have had it at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...

Latest News

Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Harman Kardon launches Citation Amp
  • By Andy Bassett