The First Song that got you into music or your favourite genre...

Aces High for me about 30 years ago. In another thread (Download 2013) you might recall the pics of me getting my Clairvoyant 12" gatefold signed by the band - at their London fan convention in '89 held to launch Maiden England and Infinite Dreams (Live).

Great record:D, that must take pride in your collection! I went through a phase of collecting all the Maiden records, had all bar Purgatory and an original Soundhouse Tapes (have a pretty decent 80s replica), gave up collecting around the Blaze era though.

I can't say. I was too young when I got into music to remember specifically at what point or what song :) My dad listened to everything from Blondie to Dire Straits, Pet Shop Boys, Beatles, Beach Boys yadda yadda yadda. I used to listen to pop in the 80s and that gradually turned into other genres.

I grew up listening to the 60's sound and still love it, but the first song that I truly discovered on my own and loved it to pieces is Stone Roses - Made Of Stone, made me a lifelong Stone Roses fan.

Excellent idea for a thread jonnyevo!

For me there are too many! I grew up listening to my parents music (rock & roll, motown, Michael Jackson - Off the Wall, etc) and to this day I love all genres. I don't want to bore everyone so here are just a few that have been most memorable (there are so many more!):

Grover Washington Jr - Mister Magic led me to discover funky jazz and some jazz.

Muse - Plug in Baby made me and my old man(!) in to big fans of them.

Evanescence - Bring me to Life opened the door to American rock and alt./acoustic rock and even started me playing the guitar.

Fats Domino - There Goes my Heart Again. I grew up primarily on Elvis (music and film) but Fats opened my eyes to the genre and made me discover other songs from artists I already knew, even the crossover point when motown started. It's always fun to introduce your parents to songs from their youth that they don't remember or never heard before. :D

Fatboy Slim - Gangsta Tripping made him, the genre and '98 one of my all time favourites and led me to (eventually) discover the hip-hop sub-cultre of turntablism. Any new song based around breakbeats generally gets my full support.

M-Beat - Incredible introduced me to drum n bass and then jungle. Reversed order I know.

Aaliyah - Are You Feelin' Me introduced me to Timbaland's production sound and his other projects (Ginuwine, Justin Timberlake, etc).

Artful Dodger & Craig David got me into (UK) Garage.

Phil Collins - All the Best... (album). My parents played it to death in my earliest years so I hated it but buying it on CD as a present for them in my late teens made me love it, and not just for the memories. This then led on to (dare I say it?) classic rock.

Lastly, Tan Dun feat. YoYo Ma - Farewell (from Crouching Tiger) led me onto classical(?) soundtracks, classical music and even changed the way I watched(/heard) films. It also started me on the slippery slope of expensive audio equipment which culminated in me building my own subwoofers a few months ago. And who says music can't stir the emotions? ;)

Tim

I really was never into music of the time always preferred instrumentals, TV themes of films and classical. Although I did enjoy some stuff played on the radio, until a new workmate asked whet music I was into and did I like Soul. I did not know what soul was and he brought a pile of soul singles, and LPs of Motown and found the records I enjoyed most on the radio were soul. And not long after saw most of the headliner Motown artist live apart from Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Smokey. Same for the Philadelphia label.

Tend to like songs that do have some meaning, well sung and a good tune and shudder at most of the stuff today especially when they bastardise some of the old songs or tunes then have some one rapping rubbish that sounds like a million other rap rubbish and the only difference between their recording and others is what they nicked of older better recordings. Rant over :laugh:

I love old soul too, I think the song that first drew me in was The 4 Tops "Reach out (I'll be there)".

I was also into northern soul back in the 70s (yes, I'm old) and I'm pretty sure the first track I remember thinking "whatthehellwasthat?!" about was a obscurity titled "Bok to Bach" by Father's Angels.
I'd just started college and made a friend there who was really into the genre and ended up selling me most of his collection.

I love old soul too, I think the song that first drew me in was The 4 Tops "Reach out (I'll be there)".

I was also into northern soul back in the 70s (yes, I'm old) and I'm pretty sure the first track I remember thinking "whatthehellwasthat?!" about was a obscurity titled "Bok to Bach" by Father's Angels.
I'd just started college and made a friend there who was really into the genre and ended up selling me most of his collection.

Huge northern soul fan here as well. I know it's quite commercial but Out on the Floor by Dobie Gray was the song that really drew me in

Out on the floor is a classic, commercial or not.
By the way, a bit off topic but there's a northern soul doc on BBC4 this Friday evening.

By the way, a bit off topic but there's a northern soul doc on BBC4 this Friday evening.

Man of value, Tyrone Berkley is probably my all time fave. Very hard to pick one though

Doc is already on the planner, but cheers anyway.
I'm looking forward to the film in October. I have the book already and it is excellent

I think my first door into rock started with Bon Jovi (Slippery When Wet) & Def Leppard (Hysteria) (embarrasingly). From there I moved to Whitesnake and then GnR. That set me on the way into rock\metal via Metallica, Iron Maiden etc... and branched off to grunge with Nirvana\ AIC and also bands like Faith No more.

My journey into rap kind of started and ended with NWA & Public Enemy. Never really went anywhere other than those two except for Eminem

99.9% of the music I listen to at home\car is pre-1996, it all kind of stopped there :)

Aces High for me about 30 years ago.

Yep, that was one for me as well. The other one that I loved (although not from the same era) when I first heard it was "Whole Lotta Rosie". Queen was the first band I was really into, and I always loved their heavier stuff like Ogre Battle on Queen II

Sepultura Refuse / Resist

Heard a 20 second clip of it on the Rock section chart show one morning and was like what the hell was that. Later that day i was in Chester and saw the album artwork in Our price and decided to buy it on CD. Now bear in mind at this point i wasn't a metal fan but buying that album changed my life. The agression, heaviness, subject matters just blew me away. Luckily for me a lad i was in school with's sister was into similar stuff and he was selling her CD's off behind her back so i quickly got into Napalm Death, Biohazard, Obituary, Bolt Thrower etc etc.

After listening to that album I pretty much went over night from a shy bullied kid in school to a long haired rebel who wouldn't take **** off anyone. Can't thank Sepultura enough :devil:

I first got into music via Relax by Frankie. Was just 11 and heard about this rude song that was banned, so as boy just had to find out more! Back then Capital Radio used to do a daily chart that was compiled from votes and it was number 1 for ages as they were one of the few stations to play it. Everyday just before 5 it would be on.

From there into general pop. Holly Johnson posted the chart recently from mid-84 when Frankie was no 1 with Two Tribes and 2 with Relax. It was amazing how many other classics that are still well played today were in that chart. Whats Love Got To Do With It, When Doves Cry, White Lines, Young At Heart, Time After Time, Jump all in the top 20.

Not wishing to sound like an old fart but you just don't get that anymore!

I first got into music via Relax by Frankie. Was just 11 and heard about this rude song that was banned, so as boy just had to find out more! Back then Capital Radio used to do a daily chart that was compiled from votes and it was number 1 for ages as they were one of the few stations to play it. Everyday just before 5 it would be on.

From there into general pop. Holly Johnson posted the chart recently from mid-84 when Frankie was no 1 with Two Tribes and 2 with Relax. It was amazing how many other classics that are still well played today were in that chart. Whats Love Got To Do With It, When Doves Cry, White Lines, Young At Heart, Time After Time, Jump all in the top 20.

Not wishing to sound like an old fart but you just don't get that anymore!
I suppose it's down to what you define as 'classics'. I wouldn't class any of those, bar maybe 'jump' and 'white lines' as a 'classic'.

As elsewhere, the mid 80's were a sort of musical 'black hole' for me. I have next to nothing in my collection from that period, bar VH's 1984 and a few others. If I had a musical bar chart, it would have a small fifties bar, a big sixties one, it would peak in the seventies, dip down to virtually nothing from 1984 - 1996, then pick up again from 96' onwards with a small peak in the early noughties, and tailing off again from there. :)

I suppose it's down to what you define as 'classics'. I wouldn't class any of those, bar maybe 'jump' and 'white lines' as a 'classic'.

As elsewhere, the mid 80's were a sort of musical 'black hole' for me. I have next to nothing in my collection from that period, bar VH's 1984 and a few others. If I had a musical bar chart, it would have a small fifties bar, a big sixties one, it would peak in the seventies, dip down to virtually nothing from 1984 - 1996, then pick up again from 96' onwards with a small peak in the early noughties, and tailing off again from there. :)

Ok maybe not true classics but at least memorable songs that you still hear and would recognise today. I think I would struggle to find many from charts this decade.

Ok maybe not true classics but at least memorable songs that you still hear and would recognise today. I think I would struggle to find many from charts this decade.
You and me both. I only know what is current due to my youngest daughters friends insistence on playing the latest crap (and crap it is) whenever they come round.

You and me both. I only know what is current due to my youngest daughters friends insistence on playing the latest crap (and crap it is) whenever they come round.
LOL... I think 'Bah, humbug' is your middle name ;-)

Early records I remember are '21st Century Boy' being played on a friends old Dansette. Still sounds brilliant and one of my fave riffs..
My mum's sister got me into the Beachboys and the Beatles.
Late 70's and early 80s I got into the whole rock scene... NWOBHM, Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull, Yes, Genesis, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sabbath, Purple, Motorhead etc...

LOL... I think 'Bah, humbug' is your middle name ;-)

Early records I remember are '21st Century Boy' being played on a friends old Dansette. Still sounds brilliant and one of my fave riffs..
My mum's sister got me into the Beachboys and the Beatles.
Late 70's and early 80s I got into the whole rock scene... NWOBHM, Zeppelin, Floyd, Tull, Yes, Genesis, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sabbath, Purple, Motorhead etc...
It is indeed. Thanks for the compliment! :)

I can (just about) handle my sons punk-metal, and no, I don't mean pop punk, and even my oldest's penchant for the likes of Aguilera, but dance music and so called RnB I cannot handle.

If that makes me Scrooge, well, I'm happy to be him!

Ditto. My mum was into the whole sixties scene, Beatles, Stones, and the early seventies stuff, Carole King, Don Mclean, Elton John, all of which I liked, then I moved on to rock with Zep and Sabbath, and then came NWOBHM. That period was the most fun I had in my young life!

It is indeed. Thanks for the compliment! :)

I can (just about) handle my sons punk-metal, and no, I don't mean pop punk, and even my oldest's penchant for the likes of Aguilera, but dance music and so called RnB I cannot handle.

If that makes me Scrooge, well, I'm happy to be him!

Ditto. My mum was into the whole sixties scene, Beatles, Stones, and the early seventies stuff, Carole King, Don Mclean, Elton John, all of which I liked, then I moved on to rock with Zep and Sabbath, and then came NWOBHM. That period was the most fun I had in my young life!

If you're after some new 'Classic' rock then I heartily recommend two up-and-coming British bands... 'The Treatment' and 'Heavens Basement'. It isn't anything radical, just well crafted rock music that really harks back to great era.

And an excellent programme it was as well. Most Northern doccos are poor but thought that was excellent. And Motown to follow :)

Really enjoyed it and interesting to see that they quoted "Reach out I'll be there" (that I mentioned as my first record) was thought to be the root of a lot of northern soul.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom