Quantcast

The First Song that got you into music or your favourite genre...

jonnyevo

If you know what I mean....hahaha.

What was the song that first got you into music? And more specifically....

What song got you into your favourite genre(s)? I.e. Tracks that made you think "wow what the heck IS THIS music????!!!

I'll go with U2 Joshua tree. Probably (as I don't really remember which track in particular) "where the streets have no name" for music in general...

Rap - runnin' by "the pharcyde".

Uk rap - you don't see the signs by "Mark B and Blade"

Drum n bass/jungle - Sweet love by "Mbeat ft nazlyn":facepalm:

and "Goldie's" timeless.

Feel free to add your track's you tube vid. To your post...

That is if anyone's at all interested. And can be bothered to respond. ;)

ANY GENRE. ANY SONG!!!!!!! FROM ANY TIME.

IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE "URBAN" MUSIC like most of my selection.... Ha ha ha.
:)

Last edited:

Garrett

What song got you into your favourite genre(s)? I.e. Tracks that made you think "wow what the fudge IS THIS music????!!!

:)
I think you find staring out any part of a swear word even 3 out of 4 is classed as circumventing the swearword filter and just use stars as I have to your quote.;)

jonnyevo

Ok. Point taken. Apologies. Thought it might be a bit rude. Changed now. :)

BT Bob

Having 2 older brothers ( 5 & 7 years older than me), meant I grew up listening to "older" music than my peers.
Two albums stand out for me that sparked something - "Led Zeppelin II" and The Who's "Live at Leeds".
Much of the '70s was spent listening to that kind of music, then "prog-rock" (ELP, Yes, etc)......

Then I heard The Damned's "New Rose"!!

travid

Eleventh Earl of Mar from The Wind and Wuthering album by Genesis, followed very quickly by The lamb lies down on Broadway!

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Not a particular track because I was dragged into the Mayfair rock night in Newcastle then at the end of the night had to be dragged out! Add music for instant rock monster.
Still miss it.

Kailash

I'm a lifelong metal fan, so it would be Slayer that got me into it proper when I was a kid
I was hooked after this album

KungFuPro

I have the BBC to thank for getting me into Slayer, I remember watching 'Heavy Metal Heaven' as a kid and being floored by Slayer, I'd never heard thrash before and it was something else. It was either 'Reign in Blood' or 'South of Heaven' that made me want to pick up a guitar.

Quite liked rave when I was a teenager, LTJ Bukem's - Demons Theme is the tune that sticks out. Can't believe I've never looked on youtube for old rave tapes before, this one is going on my gym playlist

english_bob

I like many forms of music, but if I had to say one type I listen to the most it is usually what I would refer to as "electronic"

So for me, it would of been 1981, The Human League "Sound of the Crowd" on TOTP.

After growing up in the shadow of my old man's record collection, this was new sounding pop he had no reference point on, except maybe Kraftwerk.

So it was a major turning point for me, a step out on my own, discovering new music as it happened, and onto Japan, Yello, Visage, Thomas Dolby, Tears for Fears, Blancmange and upwards, all the way until the release of the greatest single ever, Blue Monday by New Order in '83

So no matter how much rock, dance, soul etc. I listen to, electronic based music is in my DNA

Last edited:

TayWax

Distinguished Member
Not a song as such but always remember a lad in the year above at school handing me his headphones and telling me to check out what he was listening to. It was Kill 'Em All by Metallica and I never looked back. have listened to metal music ever since (though not exclusively) and they have always been my favourite band.

Kailash

love a bit of Bukem (went through a phase of anything on good looking really)
atlantis is a classic of course

overkill

Although I was brought up with Floyd, Supertramp, Fleetwood mac (peter green mac), Mott the Hoople (pre All the Young Dudes). the Stones, the first track that really grabbed me and said 'helloooo, this is really it' was 'Take on the World' by Judas Priest. After hearing that I bought Led Zep II (no, I can't work out the connection either) and a lifelong love of Zeppelin and Heavy Rock/Metal was born.

english_bob

overkill

Could of gone either way there I suppose! Might of just been the leather mate! :)
Are we talking orientation or musical taste? ;)

Oddly enough, I liked the song but I didn't know Rob and co were into the leather studded look until 1980. In the meantime my musical collection was going along heavy rock (plus Elton John and the Beatles) rather than metal lines. The NWOBHM changed that.

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
George Benson - Give Me The Night. 1980:

This is probably my earliest memory of where my love of 80's Funk & Soul came from...still my favourite and most listened-to genre by far.

I used to fanatically listen to Greg Edwards on Capital as a kid and tape all his shows lol.

For old skool Electro & Hip Hop/Rap, it wasn't so much a song...but an album - Electro 1. 1983:

I remember my sister buying it and bringing it home and we listened to it over and over. I used to also listen fanatically to Mike Allen, again on Capital, and tape all his shows. Allen's Army Frontline Chart and Chuck Chill's New York Juice Report were my highlights of the week lol.

I stopped listening to the genre when Gangsta Rap came in the early 90s and destroyed it. Hardcore British Hip-Hop was where it peaked for me with Hijack, Hardnoise & Gunshot.

Can't replicate those days. :/

Curly99

Distinguished Member
Much like english_bob I like lots of different music types and they have changed over the years electronic music is the main music I have listened to and bought the most over the years, at school the album that was a favourite was "Are we not men? We are Devo - Devo" led to a love of "new wave/indie" music, on leaving school the record I bought with my first weeks wages was "Replicas - Tubeway Army" my love of all things Synth was born, my first taste of synth music would have probably been a Tangerine Dream album (mates brother played loads and was a big fan) Jean Michael Jarre's - Oxegene also struck a chord, I remember the old Virgin shop in Nottingham is where I first heard Gangsters - The Special AKA it was played to me by the shop assist I knew at the time, a love of Ska was born and carries on to this day, I saw The Selector on their 35th anniversary tour last month (saw them last on the 2 Tone tour) and will be seeing The Specials again on their autumn tour, also a big Charlatans fan and I am currently listening to new psychedelic bands like Fuzz, Ty Segall and People's Temple from the US and The Living Eyes, Ausmeautants, Straight Arrows from Australia.

Curly

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well first record ....(woofers and tweeters granddad!).....I remember loving as a kid was the osmonds crazy horses !

but the first time I heard sham 69's that's life..on tape in a mates back garden....in 77 or 78 I was blown away.....sort of acted story in between great punk tracks

...seems nothing these days ...but back then listening to people swearing on an album as a 9 year old was pretty amazing!

shortly after someone got hold of a Derek and clive album.
...now that's how to swear!

english_bob

gsm.jpg
I stopped listening to the genre when Gangsta Rap came in the early 90s and destroyed it. Hardcore British Hip-Hop was where it peaked for me with Hijack, Hardnoise & Gunshot.

Can't replicate those days. :/
Wow, your comment had me digging in the back of my collection!...

THE_FORCE

Distinguished Member
Wow, your comment had me digging in the back of my collection!...
Dope album!

Mercury and Alkaline's lyrical flow complimented each other's so well, and with those backing tracks....

Interception Squad will still be my fave...sampling Ironside's intro sirens by Quincy Jones. Ruff track!

KungFuPro

Uk rap - you don't see the signs by "Mark B and Blade"
Still have it on CD even after culling my single collection, not the best condition, I used to let friends borrow stuff back then.
markb.jpg

First record I owned that got me into metal was Iron Maiden's The Clairvoyant, still have it and it's in good condition for the amount of times played. Maiden got me into metal, Slayer made me want to play it:D.
clairvoyant.jpg

Astle68

Novice Member
One of the first songs that got me into music was when England won the Rugby World Cup in 2003. The theme song to that was UB40 - Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. I was only 8 at the time.

Ever since then I've spent most my time listening to UB40 and other pieces of Reggae. I occasionally listen to The Smiths but the majority of my music is Reggae based.

jonnyevo

Ok. Wanna start getting my wallet out here. Lol.

How much for the mark b & blade cd single KungFuPro??? :)

And as for the gunshot.... Guess it's not for sale. Hahaha. ;)

Loving the response in general though lads.

Keep 'em coming. Makes for an interesting read.

Ladies invited too!!! :)

And anyone who likes music other than heavy metal hahaaaaa. (Jokes). There's a few rockers on here by the sounds of it. Albeit open minded ones who sometimes dabble in rave and rap !!!!!!???!!!!

All good cheese. :).

Last edited:

KungFuPro

I'd be embarrassed to give it away with the condition it's in, I've had many albums ruined by inconsiderate friends who would use them as beer mats. There's a nice looking 12" on ebay, might even get it myself:D.

I don't listen to a lot of rap but I used to like Ice-T's Pusher (and anything from Body Count:laugh:), the only rap/hip hop I listen to nowadays would be Jurassic 5, think it was a Tony Hawks skateboarding game that got me into them.

Tony Hawks got me into ska/punk as well:)

krish

Distinguished Member
First record I owned that got me into metal was Iron Maiden's The Clairvoyant, still have it and it's in good condition for the amount of times played. Maiden got me into metal, Slayer made me want to play it:D.
Aces High for me about 30 years ago. In another thread (Download 2013) you might recall the pics of me getting my Clairvoyant 12" gatefold signed by the band - at their London fan convention in '89 held to launch Maiden England and Infinite Dreams (Live).

Last edited:

KungFuPro

Aces High for me about 30 years ago. In another thread (Download 2013) you might recall the pics of me getting my Clairvoyant 12" gatefold signed by the band - at their London fan convention in '89 held to launch Maiden England and Infinite Dreams (Live).
Great record:D, that must take pride in your collection! I went through a phase of collecting all the Maiden records, had all bar Purgatory and an original Soundhouse Tapes (have a pretty decent 80s replica), gave up collecting around the Blaze era though.

probedb

Banned
I can't say. I was too young when I got into music to remember specifically at what point or what song :) My dad listened to everything from Blondie to Dire Straits, Pet Shop Boys, Beatles, Beach Boys yadda yadda yadda. I used to listen to pop in the 80s and that gradually turned into other genres.

I grew up listening to the 60's sound and still love it, but the first song that I truly discovered on my own and loved it to pieces is Stone Roses - Made Of Stone, made me a lifelong Stone Roses fan.

3Hz

Excellent idea for a thread jonnyevo!

For me there are too many! I grew up listening to my parents music (rock & roll, motown, Michael Jackson - Off the Wall, etc) and to this day I love all genres. I don't want to bore everyone so here are just a few that have been most memorable (there are so many more!):

Grover Washington Jr - Mister Magic led me to discover funky jazz and some jazz.

Muse - Plug in Baby made me and my old man(!) in to big fans of them.

Evanescence - Bring me to Life opened the door to American rock and alt./acoustic rock and even started me playing the guitar.

Fats Domino - There Goes my Heart Again. I grew up primarily on Elvis (music and film) but Fats opened my eyes to the genre and made me discover other songs from artists I already knew, even the crossover point when motown started. It's always fun to introduce your parents to songs from their youth that they don't remember or never heard before. :D

Fatboy Slim - Gangsta Tripping made him, the genre and '98 one of my all time favourites and led me to (eventually) discover the hip-hop sub-cultre of turntablism. Any new song based around breakbeats generally gets my full support.

M-Beat - Incredible introduced me to drum n bass and then jungle. Reversed order I know.

Aaliyah - Are You Feelin' Me introduced me to Timbaland's production sound and his other projects (Ginuwine, Justin Timberlake, etc).

Artful Dodger & Craig David got me into (UK) Garage.

Phil Collins - All the Best... (album). My parents played it to death in my earliest years so I hated it but buying it on CD as a present for them in my late teens made me love it, and not just for the memories. This then led on to (dare I say it?) classic rock.

Lastly, Tan Dun feat. YoYo Ma - Farewell (from Crouching Tiger) led me onto classical(?) soundtracks, classical music and even changed the way I watched(/heard) films. It also started me on the slippery slope of expensive audio equipment which culminated in me building my own subwoofers a few months ago. And who says music can't stir the emotions? ;)

Tim

Garrett

I really was never into music of the time always preferred instrumentals, TV themes of films and classical. Although I did enjoy some stuff played on the radio, until a new workmate asked whet music I was into and did I like Soul. I did not know what soul was and he brought a pile of soul singles, and LPs of Motown and found the records I enjoyed most on the radio were soul. And not long after saw most of the headliner Motown artist live apart from Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Smokey. Same for the Philadelphia label.

Tend to like songs that do have some meaning, well sung and a good tune and shudder at most of the stuff today especially when they bastardise some of the old songs or tunes then have some one rapping rubbish that sounds like a million other rap rubbish and the only difference between their recording and others is what they nicked of older better recordings. Rant over :laugh: